Posted to alt.home.repair

Default black dots above rear-view mirror

I probably need a new windshield, for my 2005 Toyota Solara.

My factory windshield has a bunch of black dots over the rear-view
mirror area, so it's about 50% shaded.

Do these dots have a purpose, keeping the electronic mirror cool, maybe,
or making it easier for me to look in the mirror without having the sun
in my eyes?

Do all replacement windows have ths same dots, or will there be ones
that fit but don't have them?

I don't want to get in a situation where he comes out here to replace
the window and brings only one that is dotless.

In fact, I think the biggest place in Baltimore actually does work at
its shop. Probably better to go there than have him come to me, right?

P.S. I used the Permatex windshind patch but I dont' think it worked.
It did work 10 years ago on a different car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/2018 11:25 AM, micky wrote:
I probably need a new windshield, for my 2005 Toyota Solara.

My factory windshield has a bunch of black dots over the rear-view
mirror area, so it's about 50% shaded.

Do these dots have a purpose, keeping the electronic mirror cool, maybe,
or making it easier for me to look in the mirror without having the sun
in my eyes?

Do all replacement windows have ths same dots, or will there be ones
that fit but don't have them?

I don't want to get in a situation where he comes out here to replace
the window and brings only one that is dotless.

In fact, I think the biggest place in Baltimore actually does work at
its shop. Probably better to go there than have him come to me, right?

P.S. I used the Permatex windshind patch but I dont' think it worked.
It did work 10 years ago on a different car.

The windshields generally come without dots but the installer can add them using a Sharpie and a dot spacing template.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/2018 11:25 AM, micky wrote:
I probably need a new windshield, for my 2005 Toyota Solara.

My factory windshield has a bunch of black dots over the rear-view
mirror area, so it's about 50% shaded.

Do these dots have a purpose, keeping the electronic mirror cool, maybe,
or making it easier for me to look in the mirror without having the sun
in my eyes?

Do all replacement windows have ths same dots, or will there be ones
that fit but don't have them?

I don't want to get in a situation where he comes out here to replace
the window and brings only one that is dotless.

They do serve a purpose and a new glass will have them too. There is a
frit band around the edge of the glass for the adhesive to stick to.
The halftone pattern is a transition and actually helps in temperature
distribution from the sun load. Frit is a baked on ceramic coating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 11:25:38 -0400, micky
wrote:

I probably need a new windshield, for my 2005 Toyota Solara.

My factory windshield has a bunch of black dots over the rear-view
mirror area, so it's about 50% shaded.

Do these dots have a purpose, keeping the electronic mirror cool, maybe,
or making it easier for me to look in the mirror without having the sun
in my eyes?

Do all replacement windows have ths same dots, or will there be ones
that fit but don't have them?

I don't want to get in a situation where he comes out here to replace
the window and brings only one that is dotless.

In fact, I think the biggest place in Baltimore actually does work at
its shop. Probably better to go there than have him come to me, right?

P.S. I used the Permatex windshind patch but I dont' think it worked.
It did work 10 years ago on a different car.

Dots or tint gradient - either will work. You don't want a non=tinted
windsheild. Ask for OEM if possible
Posted to alt.home.repair

Why not pose this issue to the location where the replacement windshield will be installed??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 10:30:17 PM UTC-5, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

On 7/10/2018 10:16 PM, wrote:

Why not pose this issue to the location where the replacement windshield will be installed??

Because that would make too much sense? This is Micky posting this
stuff, remember? LOL!

I think you nailed it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/2018 10:16 PM, wrote:

Why not pose this issue to the location where the replacement windshield will be installed??

Because that would make too much sense? This is Micky posting this
stuff, remember? LOL!

I think you nailed it.

its still more on topic compared to the political rants
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I probably need a new windshield, for my 2005 Toyota Solara.

My factory windshield has a bunch of black dots over the rear-view
mirror area, so it's about 50% shaded.

Do these dots have a purpose, keeping the electronic mirror cool, maybe,
or making it easier for me to look in the mirror without having the sun
in my eyes?

Do all replacement windows have ths same dots, or will there be ones
that fit but don't have them?

I don't want to get in a situation where he comes out here to replace
the window and brings only one that is dotless.

In fact, I think the biggest place in Baltimore actually does work at
its shop.

By which I meant they come to you and you can also go to them.

Probably better to go there than have him come to me, right?

P.S. I used the Permatex windshind patch but I dont' think it worked.
It did work 10 years ago on a different car.

Dots or tint gradient - either will work. You don't want a non=tinted
windsheild. Ask for OEM if possible

I'll do that. Thanks. And thanks, Ed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/2018 8:25 AM, micky wrote:
I probably need a new windshield, for my 2005 Toyota Solara.

My factory windshield has a bunch of black dots over the rear-view
mirror area, so it's about 50% shaded.

Do these dots have a purpose, keeping the electronic mirror cool, maybe,
or making it easier for me to look in the mirror without having the sun
in my eyes?

On modern cars, theres another group of dots on the windshield right
behind the rearview mirror. As shown in the clip below, these dots,
called the €śthird visor frit,€ť are there to help block the sun as it
beams in from between the two front sun-visors.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-thos...r-c-1791075995
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 21:54:11 -0700, Bob F
wrote:

On 7/10/2018 8:25 AM, micky wrote:
I probably need a new windshield, for my 2005 Toyota Solara.

My factory windshield has a bunch of black dots over the rear-view
mirror area, so it's about 50% shaded.

Do these dots have a purpose, keeping the electronic mirror cool, maybe,
or making it easier for me to look in the mirror without having the sun
in my eyes?

On modern cars, there’s another group of dots on the windshield right
behind the rearview mirror. As shown in the clip below, these dots,
called the “third visor frit,” are there to help block the sun as it
beams in from between the two front sun-visors.

Aha.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-thos...r-c-1791075995

Very interesting also. Thanks.