Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable AC

http://dailytech365.com/lps/otbfluks.../en/indexx.php

Let us know how these work.

It looks like it has enough power to turn an hand held pinwheel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2018 7:45 PM, lid wrote:
http://dailytech365.com/lps/otbfluks.../en/indexx.php

Let us know how these work.

It looks like it has enough power to turn an hand held pinwheel

Waste of money. Not hot and arid where I am. Air does not need more
humidity and heat feels worse at high humidity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 8, 2018 at 6:48:29 PM UTC-5, wrote:
http://dailytech365.com/lps/otbfluks.../en/indexx.php

Let us know how these work.

It looks like it has enough power to turn an hand held pinwheel

It's a small swamp cooler. They work fine in areas where the humidity is low but they're not so effective in a place like Alabamastan where I live. Summertime humidity is very high here and evaporative coolers aren't as effective for cooling homes. Business and industry use them to some extent like my former customers who owned laundries and dry cleaners where there is a lot of heat produced. Here in the Southeast, you want to remove humidity from the air in order for people to cool off. o_O

[8~{} Uncle AC Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2018 7:45 PM, lid wrote:
http://dailytech365.com/lps/otbfluks.../en/indexx.php

Let us know how these work.

It looks like it has enough power to turn an hand held pinwheel

Wow, evidently they repealed the laws of physics and thermodynamics.
Instead of using USB power I'm going to make an adapter to run off of my
perpetual motion machine.

I clicked on the link to buy one at 50% off and just gog a 404 on the
site. I guess the fraudsters are already gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 8 Jul 2018 21:03:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 7/8/2018 7:45 PM, lid wrote:
http://dailytech365.com/lps/otbfluks.../en/indexx.php

Let us know how these work.

It looks like it has enough power to turn an hand held pinwheel

Wow, evidently they repealed the laws of physics and thermodynamics.
Instead of using USB power I'm going to make an adapter to run off of my
perpetual motion machine.

I clicked on the link to buy one at 50% off and just gog a 404 on the
site. I guess the fraudsters are already gone.

I saw one very much like that on a tv ad a few days ago. I think it
could make one's hand feel cooler. Well, when I thought it had a
110volt fan. Now I'm not sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2018 4:45 PM, lid wrote:
http://dailytech365.com/lps/otbfluks.../en/indexx.php

Let us know how these work.

It looks like it has enough power to turn an hand held pinwheel
Wow! A brand new scam featuring a super el-cheapo evaporative cooler

like it is something new. Anyone trying one of these is a humid area is
going to be quite disappointed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 10:38:44 AM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
On 7/8/2018 4:45 PM, lid wrote:
http://dailytech365.com/lps/otbfluks.../en/indexx.php

Let us know how these work.

It looks like it has enough power to turn an hand held pinwheel
Wow! A brand new scam featuring a super el-cheapo evaporative cooler

like it is something new. Anyone trying one of these is a humid area is
going to be quite disappointed.

I'm not even sure I understand how they work in an area with dry climate
when they are inside. I would think it would work fine for a few hours
until the humidity got to a reasonable level. Once the humidity passes
about 60%, then what? Do you open windows to let hot, dry air in? Or
do you just use them to cool one or two rooms and the rest of the house
is hot and dry enough that there's enough dry air?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/07/2018 15:36, Bob F wrote:
On 7/8/2018 4:45 PM, lid wrote:
http://dailytech365.com/lps/otbfluks.../en/indexx.php

Let us know how these work.

It looks like it has enough power to turn an hand held pinwheel
Wow! A brand new scam featuring a super el-cheapo evaporative cooler

like it is something new. Anyone trying one of these is a humid area is
going to be quite disappointed.

Agreed, we tried one years ago. A total waste of time and money, IMO.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/9/2018 10:47 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I'm not even sure I understand how they work in an area with dry climate
when they are inside. I would think it would work fine for a few hours
until the humidity got to a reasonable level. Once the humidity passes
about 60%, then what? Do you open windows to let hot, dry air in? Or
do you just use them to cool one or two rooms and the rest of the house
is hot and dry enough that there's enough dry air?

I imagine you can feel cooler for a while sitting right in front of it
but the heat does not disappear, it is just moved to the other parts of
the room. To truly cool, you still have to move the heat out, not just
disperse it. Since the motor is running, it is actually creating more
heat.

Putting a bag of ice on your head would be more beneficial.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 11:51:30 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/9/2018 10:47 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I'm not even sure I understand how they work in an area with dry climate
when they are inside. I would think it would work fine for a few hours
until the humidity got to a reasonable level. Once the humidity passes
about 60%, then what? Do you open windows to let hot, dry air in? Or
do you just use them to cool one or two rooms and the rest of the house
is hot and dry enough that there's enough dry air?

I imagine you can feel cooler for a while sitting right in front of it
but the heat does not disappear, it is just moved to the other parts of
the room. To truly cool, you still have to move the heat out, not just
disperse it. Since the motor is running, it is actually creating more
heat.

Putting a bag of ice on your head would be more beneficial.

It's not just feel, it really does cool the room, ie the temp will drop,
the heat is moved into the water by evaporating it. The part I question
is what happens after the temp drops a bit, but the humidity has increased
to 60%, 70%+? Then what? At the higher humidity the cooling effect diminishes
and the room feels humid, so now what? Do you open a window to let in
hot, dry outside air? It could work indefinitely if you just ran hot,
dry air from outside into it. But if it's 95 outside, how cold is the
air coming out? I'd guess it could drop it ten degrees or so, but then
you'd have 85F air which isn't much. Or do they just use these to blow
cooler air on you when you're outside on a patio or inside with the
windows open? Has me wondering.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/9/2018 12:04 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

The water will release its heat back into the room.

You can't make cold, you can only remove heat. Temporarily you can move
the heat to water, but there is no drain for the water so the cycle
continues.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 12:36:21 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

It won't release it heat into the air unless it changes phase again,
back to liquid. Let's assume it's a perfectly insulated chamber with
air at 90F and humidity at 10%. By evaporating water, the temp will
drop and the humidity will increase. Say it gets to 80F and 50%.
It will stay there. The problem is a house is nowhere near perfectly
insulated, so before long it will be back to 90F, but now with 50%
humidity, instead of 10%. So, what do they do then?

You can't make cold, you can only remove heat. Temporarily you can move
the heat to water, but there is no drain for the water so the cycle
continues.

I agree that to continue it, you'd have to get rid of the water, you're
right, that's where the heat is, which
is why I was questioning how these swamp coolers are really used? If
it's outside on a patio to blow cool air on you, I can see it. But
I don't see how they can be used effectively to cool a whole house,
even in a dry climate. You could continually bring in 95F dry outside
air and run it through the cooler, getting a lower temp and maybe that;s
what they do? If so, I wonder what temp delta you can achieve in a
typical dry environment between outside air and inside air?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/9/2018 10:32 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

These things were seen often when I was a kid traveling through dry
western country. Air conditioning was not so prevalent then. Maybe they
worked well then because buildings were not sealed like they tend to be
now, so the air was being constantly refreshed. In a modern "sealed"
house, they probably wouldn't be as effective over time.

You also frequently saw vehicles with canvas water bags hanging in front
of the bumper. Evaporation would keep the water cool to drink, even in
the desert sun.