Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pharoah ants

Just had the exterminator in for professional help with
pharoah ants just in the kitchen so far - 2 more visits
or more required.
Anyone with personal experience with these tiny pests -
in a home - not apartment or institutional building.
Tips / tricks do / don't do appreciated.
I have done some internet reading on them and realize
not to use spray insecticide.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharaoh_ant
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 15:11:52 -0700, T wrote:

On 06/22/2018 02:55 PM, wrote:
Just had the exterminator in for professional help with
pharoah ants just in the kitchen so far - 2 more visits
or more required.
Anyone with personal experience with these tiny pests -
in a home - not apartment or institutional building.
Tips / tricks do / don't do appreciated.
I have done some internet reading on them and realize
not to use spray insecticide.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharaoh_ant
John T.

Laboratory Evaluation of a Boric Acid Liquid Bait on Colonies of
Tapinoma melanocephalum Argentine Ants and Pharaoh Ants (Hymenoptera:
Formicidae)

https://academic.oup.com/jee/article...dFrom=fulltext

I believe the bait was ground liver.

Thanks.
Your link has the abstract - I'd need to pay to see the study, and
then I probably wouldn't understand the scientific lingo ..
But it did remind me google the 2 products that the exterminator used
- I found some additional info on those web sites :

http://www.syngentapmp.com/product/o...e?tab=overview

https://bayeres.ca/maxforcequantum/

Here's one that google found that uses boric acid :
http://integratedpestsupplies.com/wp...stic-Label.pdf

I assumed the professional product would be restricted - but I think I
can get some and do the treatments myself after the 2 additional
visits by the exterminator. if necessary.

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The main draw of boric acid is that it is not toxic.
It dehydrates the buggers (roaches included) and doesn't
poison them, so they can not get tolerant of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The problem is they just stop eating it. I can't find a bait they will
eat, commercial or home made. I don't even find much I eat that they
will get in. If they would I would make bait out of it.
I am spraying bifen and moving them around. I can eventually locate a
nest behind a wall or something and kill it but they come back.
That is also the problem with baits. You may kill that queen but the
next colony knows not to eat that ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Ahh, but they have to walk across it and it sticks to their
bellies. Boric Acid, A.K.A. Roach Proof, is wonderful
for wiping out roach colonies.

And they never figure out Boric Acid as it is not poisonous.
I lived in George and Texas in the 70 with the Air Force.
The locals tipped me off to Roach Proof. Wipes the *******s
right out.

And a few roach motels to clean up on the strays that come
in from outside.

For roaches they use to mix karo as bait with boric acid.
I just sprinkled it where they like to run and under
refrigerators, etc..

I wonder how well coca cola mixed with boric acid
would do? Ants sure love coca cola when it spills.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The problem is they just stop eating it. I can't find a bait they will
eat, commercial or home made. I don't even find much I eat that they
will get in. If they would I would make bait out of it.
I am spraying bifen and moving them around. I can eventually locate a
nest behind a wall or something and kill it but they come back.
That is also the problem with baits. You may kill that queen but the
next colony knows not to eat that ****.

Not sure - but you might have some bad advice -
if it's pharoah ants that you are talking about ..
See below - quoted from this discussion forum :

https://www.diychatroom.com/f51/how-...365265/index4/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

If that isn't convincing enough, here is another study for Pharaoh
ants done by the university of Purdue. This study showed about 50%
worker and queen mortality by Talstar (bifen It) and 100% mortality by
Termidor (Taursus Sc.)

https://www.entm.purdue.edu/ants/pubs/8.pdf

Bifen IT is a good product, like I said, I have it on my truck and use
it everyday. It works really good on lots of insects and it is very
affordable. But I don't know a single pest control professional that
uses it for ant control.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I might be wrong but it seems like bifen is used for termites,
carpenter ants, roaches, and in agricultural ..
a residual toxin .. ? rather than a bait ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Guinea are noisy and loud. And really, really stupid. They
once tried to take on my parked car. I'd look out the window
and they be all puffed up screeching at the front of my car.
Hysterical.

Ha ! .. we have a pair of pea-hens roaming our little
rural village .. noisy things ! but the facebook people
keep track of their where-abouts .. as if needed !
Oh well ... how does one cook a pea-hen ?
.. recipes .. ? just kidding.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2018 5:55 PM, wrote:
Just had the exterminator in for professional help with
pharoah ants just in the kitchen so far - 2 more visits
or more required.
Anyone with personal experience with these tiny pests -
in a home - not apartment or institutional building.
Tips / tricks do / don't do appreciated.
I have done some internet reading on them and realize
not to use spray insecticide.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharaoh_ant
John T.

No experience with them but did have an ant problem that went away when
we got a Termidor termite treatment. We did not have termites but a next
door neighbor did. His treatment eliminated the colony but they came
back in a few years and I was finding them in places a few feet from my
house. I was doing DYI stuff for years but decided for peace of mind to
get the perimeter treatment. It did the job on the ants too. We
continue with the Terminex inspection and insurance, again just for
peace of mind and we have never needed an exterminator to come and do
anything in the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 08:49:19 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 6/22/2018 5:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

Active ingredient is likely Fipronil -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fipronil

I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I've seen it for sale on https://www.domyown.com/ site. You can do
these treatments yourself but Terminex drilled through concrete porch
and patio to inject and make sure house was surrounded. It seems to get
to them that were near the house but not the colony and I assume it
would be tough to get at colonies and they can come back. Years ago I
used to spray foundations with diazinone but EPA likes to ban things
that work like DDT and chlordane.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 16:14:31 -0700, T wrote:

The main draw of boric acid is that it is not toxic.
It dehydrates the buggers (roaches included) and doesn't
poison them, so they can not get tolerant of it.

Food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) has microscopic sharp edges. It
scratches the exoskeleton of ants, roaches and likely crickets.
Applied with a billow type powder duster.

Do not use pool DE as it has been heated, which takes the sharp edges
off.

Boric acid burns the, DE causes dehydration.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Roaches are not really that much of an issue here. We only have the
big "American" roach (palmetto bug) and they generally live outside.
If you treat the ground about 10' around the house, you will never see
one. If you get infested with those nasty little European or Asian
roaches, you brought them in yourself.
They are much harder to get rid of.
As for ants. I haven't seen a sugar eating ant in 25 years. The ones
we are trying to control don't really seem to be eating anything. You
just see them walking around. If I could figure out what they like to
eat I will bait them and that wipes them out for a while but it is
just a temporary fix because the next batch won't eat that stuff
anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 21:55:51 -0400, wrote:

[...]

I don't use it as a bait, just a perimeter spray. I understand that is
not a cure but baits stop being effective pretty quickly. I also tend
not to trust northern experiences because Florida seems to have
tougher ants an a **** load more varieties.
My biggest mistake might have been to go after the fire ants 30 years
ago because I think they may have been holding down the more invasive
varieties.

Ants, Lots of Ants Steve Home Repair 21 July 26th 06 05:13 AM
Ants John UK diy 41 July 25th 04 03:40 PM
Ants G.W. Walker UK diy 65 May 8th 04 12:18 AM