DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Installing ceiling fan with joists too close apart for ceiling brace kit (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/612188-installing-ceiling-fan-joists-too-close-apart-ceiling-brace-kit.html)

Frank[_33_] June 3rd 18 03:44 PM

Installing ceiling fan with joists too close apart for ceiling brace kit

I am trying to install a ceiling fan (about 17lb). The outlet box was plastic
and probably not rated for ceiling fan so I have it knocked out and was
planning to use a ceiling brace kit. However I noticed that the joists was
too close apart and the bar of the brace kit is too long. One joist is
flushed to the edge of the hole. I wonder if I can just screw a metal outlet
box to it. Will that be strong enough as the support is going to be only on
one side of the outlet box.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...i-1168300-.htm

None June 3rd 18 03:59 PM

Installing ceiling fan with joists too close apart for ceiling brace kit

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 14:44:02 GMT, Frank
m wrote:

I am trying to install a ceiling fan (about 17lb). The outlet box was plastic
and probably not rated for ceiling fan so I have it knocked out and was
planning to use a ceiling brace kit. However I noticed that the joists was
too close apart and the bar of the brace kit is too long. One joist is
flushed to the edge of the hole. I wonder if I can just screw a metal outlet
box to it. Will that be strong enough as the support is going to be only on
one side of the outlet box.

Yes you can, here is one type of box designed specifically for the
job.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Madison-...BFAN/203343431

If you use a regular box, don't use the black drywall screws to attach
it, use deck screws, they are much stronger and less brittle.

Ed Pawlowski June 3rd 18 04:00 PM

Installing ceiling fan with joists too close apart for ceilingbrace kit

On 6/3/2018 10:44 AM, Frank wrote:
I am trying to install a ceiling fan (about 17lb).Â* The outlet box was
plastic
and probably not rated for ceiling fan so I have it knocked out and was
planning to use a ceiling brace kit.Â* However I noticed that the joists was
too close apart and the bar of the brace kit is too long.Â* One joist is
flushed to the edge ofÂ* the hole.Â* I wonder if I can just screw a metal
outlet
box to it.Â* Will that be strong enough as the support is going to be
only on
one side of the outlet box.

Not sure I understand. You want to use one support and then screw the
box directly to the joist on the other side? That can work if you use a
long enough screw. If it is attic above, you may be able to reinforce
from above too.

Mr.E June 3rd 18 05:29 PM

m wrote:

I am trying to install a ceiling fan (about 17lb). The outlet box was plastic
and probably not rated for ceiling fan so I have it knocked out and was
planning to use a ceiling brace kit. However I noticed that the joists was
too close apart and the bar of the brace kit is too long. One joist is
flushed to the edge of the hole. I wonder if I can just screw a metal outlet
box to it. Will that be strong enough as the support is going to be only on
one side of the outlet box.

Use construction adhesive to add a block to the side of the joist and
screw the box to the joist and the added block.
--
Mr.E

Clare Snyder June 4th 18 01:43 AM

om wrote:

I am trying to install a ceiling fan (about 17lb). The outlet box was plastic
and probably not rated for ceiling fan so I have it knocked out and was
planning to use a ceiling brace kit. However I noticed that the joists was
too close apart and the bar of the brace kit is too long. One joist is
flushed to the edge of the hole. I wonder if I can just screw a metal outlet
box to it. Will that be strong enough as the support is going to be only on
one side of the outlet box.

Use construction adhesive to add a block to the side of the joist and
screw the box to the joist and the added block.

Or just run the support bar between the joists at an angle allowing
the support to fit between the joists????

Oren[_2_] June 4th 18 07:16 PM

Installing ceiling fan with joists too close apart for ceiling brace kit

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 20:43:21 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

I am trying to install a ceiling fan (about 17lb). The outlet box was plastic
and probably not rated for ceiling fan so I have it knocked out and was
planning to use a ceiling brace kit. However I noticed that the joists was
too close apart and the bar of the brace kit is too long. One joist is
flushed to the edge of the hole. I wonder if I can just screw a metal outlet
box to it. Will that be strong enough as the support is going to be only on
one side of the outlet box.

Use construction adhesive to add a block to the side of the joist and
screw the box to the joist and the added block

Or just run the support bar between the joists at an angle allowing
the support to fit between the joists????

Be neat to see a photo. Reading the post, my first thought was can
the threaded rod on the fan support box be shortened to fit the space.

I've cut screws to shorten them -- works when done correctly.