DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cutting PVC (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/611551-cutting-pvc.html)

[email protected] May 24th 18 08:28 PM

Cutting PVC

I was an electrician 20 years ago. We used to cut into PVC with a
string but it was done when the pipe was empty.

My nephew is now working with PVC for fiber. He said that they cut
into a pipe they thought was empty and it turned out it contained a
fiber optics cable.

I was just wondering if you could wrap a string around a PVC pipe and
keep tension on the spool and drive the cutting with an electric drill
pulling the string?

I wonder how much success you could have in scoring around the pipe
enough to break it in case it is not empty.

Uncle Monster[_2_] May 24th 18 09:23 PM

Cutting PVC

On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 2:28:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I was an electrician 20 years ago. We used to cut into PVC with a
string but it was done when the pipe was empty.

My nephew is now working with PVC for fiber. He said that they cut
into a pipe they thought was empty and it turned out it contained a
fiber optics cable.

I was just wondering if you could wrap a string around a PVC pipe and
keep tension on the spool and drive the cutting with an electric drill
pulling the string?

I wonder how much success you could have in scoring around the pipe
enough to break it in case it is not empty.

Somewhere in my tool collection, I have a PVC pipe cutter that is a wire saw. It has rings on each end of the wire for your fingers so you can pull the wire saw back and forth. It's easy to control the cut and the depth. I'm sure you could score a pipe with that type of saw and bang on it to break it open along the scored line. ^_^

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-PVC-...002J/204284854

[8~{} Uncle Saw Monster

trader_4 May 24th 18 09:27 PM

Cutting PVC

On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 3:28:51 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I was an electrician 20 years ago. We used to cut into PVC with a
string but it was done when the pipe was empty.

My nephew is now working with PVC for fiber. He said that they cut
into a pipe they thought was empty and it turned out it contained a
fiber optics cable.

I was just wondering if you could wrap a string around a PVC pipe and
keep tension on the spool and drive the cutting with an electric drill
pulling the string?

I wonder how much success you could have in scoring around the pipe
enough to break it in case it is not empty.

Seems if you were cutting PVC with a string as an electrician, you'd
know the answer to that.

[email protected] May 24th 18 09:33 PM

Cutting PVC

On Thu, 24 May 2018 15:28:30 -0400, lid wrote:

I was an electrician 20 years ago. We used to cut into PVC with a
string but it was done when the pipe was empty.

My nephew is now working with PVC for fiber. He said that they cut
into a pipe they thought was empty and it turned out it contained a
fiber optics cable.

I was just wondering if you could wrap a string around a PVC pipe and
keep tension on the spool and drive the cutting with an electric drill
pulling the string?

I wonder how much success you could have in scoring around the pipe
enough to break it in case it is not empty.

I have cut a lot of PVC with wire in it. The trick is to use a regular
PVC cutter or even a copper pipe cutter. Score it all the way around
until it is almost cut through and then bend the pipe. It will snap
right off.

None May 24th 18 09:52 PM

Cutting PVC

On Thu, 24 May 2018 13:27:21 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 3:28:51 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I was an electrician 20 years ago. We used to cut into PVC with a
string but it was done when the pipe was empty.

My nephew is now working with PVC for fiber. He said that they cut
into a pipe they thought was empty and it turned out it contained a
fiber optics cable.

I was just wondering if you could wrap a string around a PVC pipe and
keep tension on the spool and drive the cutting with an electric drill
pulling the string?

I wonder how much success you could have in scoring around the pipe
enough to break it in case it is not empty.

Seems if you were cutting PVC with a string as an electrician, you'd
know the answer to that.

Exactly, it is the nymshifter, yet again.

Thomas May 24th 18 10:04 PM

Cutting PVC

Shake the pipe. Wtf

[email protected] May 24th 18 10:37 PM

Cutting PVC

wrote:

On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 3:28:51 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I was an electrician 20 years ago. We used to cut into PVC with a
string but it was done when the pipe was empty.

My nephew is now working with PVC for fiber. He said that they cut
into a pipe they thought was empty and it turned out it contained a
fiber optics cable.

I was just wondering if you could wrap a string around a PVC pipe and
keep tension on the spool and drive the cutting with an electric drill
pulling the string?

I wonder how much success you could have in scoring around the pipe
enough to break it in case it is not empty.

Seems if you were cutting PVC with a string as an electrician, you'd
know the answer to that.

The only time I fool with that cable saw is if I am cutting big pipe
in tight quarters.

trader_4 May 25th 18 12:06 AM

Cutting PVC

wrote:

On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 3:28:51 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I was an electrician 20 years ago. We used to cut into PVC with a
string but it was done when the pipe was empty.

My nephew is now working with PVC for fiber. He said that they cut
into a pipe they thought was empty and it turned out it contained a
fiber optics cable.

I was just wondering if you could wrap a string around a PVC pipe and
keep tension on the spool and drive the cutting with an electric drill
pulling the string?

I wonder how much success you could have in scoring around the pipe
enough to break it in case it is not empty.

Seems if you were cutting PVC with a string as an electrician, you'd
know the answer to that.

The only time I fool with that cable saw is if I am cutting big pipe
in tight quarters.

I would agree. But the poster said he used a string, then something about
a spool with a drill.

Dean Hoffman[_12_] May 25th 18 02:25 AM

Cutting PVC

lid wrote:

I was an electrician 20 years ago. We used to cut into PVC with a
string but it was done when the pipe was empty.

My nephew is now working with PVC for fiber. He said that they cut
into a pipe they thought was empty and it turned out it contained a
fiber optics cable.

I was just wondering if you could wrap a string around a PVC pipe and
keep tension on the spool and drive the cutting with an electric drill
pulling the string?

I wonder how much success you could have in scoring around the pipe
enough to break it in case it is not empty.

I have cut a lot of PVC with wire in it. The trick is to use a regular
PVC cutter or even a copper pipe cutter. Score it all the way around
until it is almost cut through and then bend the pipe. It will snap
right off.

I use one of these tail pipe cutters the few times I need to cut
filled conduit.
The wheels aren't quite big enough but it cuts most of the way.

miamirestorations[_2_] May 25th 18 12:44 PM

Cutting PVC

replying to trader_4, miamirestorations wrote:
Agree with you

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...c-1167498-.htm