Drew Morton

Default grout for shower stall

I recently had to do some work to my shower drain, and in the process had to
dig out some of the grout. No problem, I thought, ill just regrout when Im
done. I went to HD, bought some pre-mixed grout, and had at it. Cleaned,
dried, and basically followed the directions. After the appropriate drying
time, I used the shower again, and the grout ended up all mushy. I cleaned
out the grout again, re-grouted, and let dry even longer. The grout was
hard and dry, and I used the shower again. Same results. Mushy grout. Is
there a specific grout that I should be usung for these very wet conditions?
I looked at all the different grouts, and none said anything about being
specifically for showers or baths.

Thanks in advance,

Drew

10Squared

Don't use the premixed stuff, pick up some grout that you mix with water and
just follow the directions. I just did the same thing. It worked fine in
the shower. I probably let it dry for about 4 hours before letting it get
wet. Vinegar is useful for getting the powdery stuff off the tile.

Drew Morton wrote:

I recently had to do some work to my shower drain, and in the process had
dig out some of the grout. No problem, I thought, ill just regrout when
Im
done. I went to HD, bought some pre-mixed grout, and had at it. Cleaned,
dried, and basically followed the directions. After the appropriate
drying
time, I used the shower again, and the grout ended up all mushy. I
cleaned
out the grout again, re-grouted, and let dry even longer. The grout was
hard and dry, and I used the shower again. Same results. Mushy grout.
Is there a specific grout that I should be usung for these very wet
conditions? I looked at all the different grouts, and none said anything
about being specifically for showers or baths.

Thanks in advance,

Drew

jeffc

"10Squared" wrote in message

Don't use the premixed stuff, pick up some grout that you mix with water

and
just follow the directions. I just did the same thing. It worked fine in
the shower. I probably let it dry for about 4 hours before letting it get
wet. Vinegar is useful for getting the powdery stuff off the tile.

Premixed grout worked fine for my patch job. If this always happened with
premixed grout, no one would ever buy it. Something specific is wrong - bad
batch or something?

LBaker

"jeffc" wrote in message
r.com...

"10Squared" wrote in message

Don't use the premixed stuff, pick up some grout that you mix with water

and
just follow the directions. I just did the same thing. It worked fine in
the shower. I probably let it dry for about 4 hours before letting it

get
wet. Vinegar is useful for getting the powdery stuff off the tile.

Premixed grout worked fine for my patch job. If this always happened with
premixed grout, no one would ever buy it. Something specific is wrong -

bad
batch or something?

Premixed grout is junk. It might be ok for some small repairs but NEVER use
it in wet areas and expect it to hold up. Traditional grouts are made with
portland cement and there is no way to premix portland grouts. It would get
hard...

jeffc

"LBaker" wrote in message

Premixed grout is junk. It might be ok for some small repairs but NEVER

use
it in wet areas and expect it to hold up.

Premixed grout is FOR wet areas. Use your head man. We're not talking
about it "holding up". It failed immediately. There was something wrong,
and it wasn't that he used premixed grout.

LBaker

"jeffc" wrote in message
.com...

"LBaker" wrote in message

Premixed grout is junk. It might be ok for some small repairs but NEVER

use
it in wet areas and expect it to hold up.

Premixed grout is FOR wet areas. Use your head man. We're not talking
about it "holding up". It failed immediately. There was something wrong,
and it wasn't that he used premixed grout.

Look, I don't know your experience, but I've been a tile setter for 25
years. Premixed grout is nothing more than a colored organic mastic. Any
ceramic mastic will re-emulsify when exposed to constant moisture. If you
don't want to beleive me, will you trust Custom Building Products.

Pre-Mixed Tile Grout is a non-sanded white grout used to
repair grout joints up to 1/8" (3 mm).
USES
For repairing narrow grout joints up to 1/8" (3 mm).
LIMITATIONS
For dry areas only. For wet areas, use White Dry Tile Grout or
Polyblend® Non-Sanded Grout.
SURFACE PREPARATION
Remove a minimum of 1/16" (1.6 mm) of existing grout.

jeffc

"LBaker" wrote in message

Look, I don't know your experience, but I've been a tile setter for 25
years. Premixed grout is nothing more than a colored organic mastic. Any
ceramic mastic will re-emulsify when exposed to constant moisture. If you
don't want to beleive me, will you trust Custom Building Products.

Pre-Mixed Tile Grout is a non-sanded white grout used to
repair grout joints up to 1/8" (3 mm).
USES
For repairing narrow grout joints up to 1/8" (3 mm).
LIMITATIONS
For dry areas only.

Well, I've had good results with premixed grout in wet areas - apparently
out of ignorance - but then I also sealed the grout. The quote was from
Polyblend? Maybe others are different, I don't know. I've used Polyblend
for tile setting, but premixed for little patches/cracks.

jeffc

"LBaker" wrote in message

Premixed grout is FOR wet areas.

Look, I don't know your experience, but I've been a tile setter for 25
years. Premixed grout is nothing more than a colored organic mastic. Any
ceramic mastic will re-emulsify when exposed to constant moisture.

Is this not premixed grout? If not, what do you call it? Grout repair?
http://www.dap.com/retail/retail_det...rodhdrid=3 34

William W. Plummer

LBaker wrote:
"jeffc" wrote in message
.com...
=20
"LBaker" wrote in message

[...]

Polyblend=AE Non-Sanded Grout.
SURFACE PREPARATION
Remove a minimum of 1/16" (1.6 mm) of existing grout.
=20
=20
=20

I used expoxy grout for the shower I built. It is expensive and hard=20
to use, but it does not fail and does not mildew.

LBaker

"jeffc" wrote in message
.com...

"LBaker" wrote in message

Premixed grout is FOR wet areas.

Look, I don't know your experience, but I've been a tile setter for 25
years. Premixed grout is nothing more than a colored organic mastic. Any
ceramic mastic will re-emulsify when exposed to constant moisture.

Is this not premixed grout? If not, what do you call it? Grout repair?

http://www.dap.com/retail/retail_det...rodhdrid=3 34

I would call that caulk and it too will fail when used around the drain of a
shower. The mud bed in a shower is constantly wet if the shower is used at
all. You need to use a cement based product if you want it to hold up. Epoxy
grout could be used ut that's overkill.

10Squared

jeffc wrote:

"LBaker" wrote in message

Look, I don't know your experience, but I've been a tile setter for 25
years. Premixed grout is nothing more than a colored organic mastic. Any
ceramic mastic will re-emulsify when exposed to constant moisture. If you
don't want to beleive me, will you trust Custom Building Products.

Pre-Mixed Tile Grout is a non-sanded white grout used to
repair grout joints up to 1/8" (3 mm).
USES
For repairing narrow grout joints up to 1/8" (3 mm).
LIMITATIONS
For dry areas only.

Well, I've had good results with premixed grout in wet areas - apparently
out of ignorance - but then I also sealed the grout. The quote was from
Polyblend? Maybe others are different, I don't know. I've used Polyblend
for tile setting, but premixed for little patches/cracks.

I'm not familiar with that product, but I'm no tilesetter. Many years ago I
put some silicon based imitation grout in my shower. It never matched the
original grout and tended to mildew. Recently I pulled that out and
replaced with the same type of grout that was used originally, the
traditional portland cement based stuff they used 40 years ago. It matches
the rest of the grout in the bathroom and looks great. You cannot premix
the real thing.
jeffc

"LBaker" wrote in message

Is this not premixed grout? If not, what do you call it? Grout repair?

http://www.dap.com/retail/retail_det...rodhdrid=3 34

I would call that caulk and it too will fail when used around the drain of

shower. The mud bed in a shower is constantly wet if the shower is used at
all. You need to use a cement based product if you want it to hold up.

Epoxy
grout could be used ut that's overkill.

Any caulk I've heard of is flexible. This stuff is hard.

LBaker

"jeffc" wrote in message
r.com...

"LBaker" wrote in message

Is this not premixed grout? If not, what do you call it? Grout

repair?

http://www.dap.com/retail/retail_det...rodhdrid=3 34

I would call that caulk and it too will fail when used around the drain

of
shower. The mud bed in a shower is constantly wet if the shower is used

at
all. You need to use a cement based product if you want it to hold up.

Epoxy
grout could be used ut that's overkill.

Any caulk I've heard of is flexible. This stuff is hard.

You just don't give up do ya? The OP was trying to repair grout around a
drain in the floor. If you would READ the date on the product you are
suggesting you would see that it is recomended for WALLS. It is also called
water resistant not waterproof. Cement grouts will not break down from water
unless they have a low ph and even then will not do so quickly. From Dow:

"For quick and easy tile grout repairs in showers, tubs and around
backsplashes. For use on ceramic tile and mosaic wall tiles.
Water-resistant. Safe latex-based formula. Easy water clean-up. Easy-to-use
sqeeze tube - NO CAULK GUN NEEDED."

Now stop giving bad advise. Just because you were lucky doesn't mean that
you were right....

jeffc

"LBaker" wrote in message

Now stop giving bad advise.