Posted to alt.home.repair
JBI JBI is offline

Default need to be able to custom cut thin walled PVC pipe indoors

I am a student and need to be able to custom cut a thin piece of PVC
pipe of the kind found in bathroom drains, which is a lot thinner than
sch 40. I am doing this for an art project so I will need to cut
precise holes into it as well as just plain cutting of the ends. Is
there something cheap I can use indoors to do this? So far, I tried a
really large, kitchen knife but it wouldn't begin to cut through the
pipe. I also tried a multi piece Xacto knife set with many different
blades, but broke the first blade trying to get through it. Thanks in
advance for any help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 10:47:28 AM UTC-4, JBI wrote:
I am a student and need to be able to custom cut a thin piece of PVC
pipe of the kind found in bathroom drains, which is a lot thinner than
sch 40. I am doing this for an art project so I will need to cut
precise holes into it as well as just plain cutting of the ends. Is
there something cheap I can use indoors to do this? So far, I tried a
really large, kitchen knife but it wouldn't begin to cut through the
pipe. I also tried a multi piece Xacto knife set with many different
blades, but broke the first blade trying to get through it. Thanks in
advance for any help.

To cut it, they have a hand held PVC pipe cutter that is essentially a knife
combined with a holder and two grips that you squeeze. That will
give you clean cuts. To make a hole,
I haven't done that, but I would try using a heated pointed object,
eg nail tip, to first make an indentation as a starting point,
then use a hand held drill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2018 7:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Those under sink pipes are a lot harder, thinners and more brittle that
PVC pipe. I seriously doubt if any knife blade is going to cut them
without many repetitions of a blade tip scraping away a bit at a time. A
fine bladed saw would be a much better bet. Try a hacksaw or coping saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 07:52:24 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

The PVC cutter works fine on that pipe if it is new/sharp. You can do
more detailed work with a burr tip on a dremmel tool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2018 at 7:47:22 AM, JBI wrote:

I am a student and need to be able to custom cut a thin piece of PVC
pipe of the kind found in bathroom drains, which is a lot thinner
than sch 40. I am doing this for an art project so I will need to
cut precise holes into it as well as just plain cutting of the ends.
Is there something cheap I can use indoors to do this? So far, I
tried a really large, kitchen knife but it wouldn't begin to cut
through the pipe. I also tried a multi piece Xacto knife set with
many different blades, but broke the first blade trying to get
through it. Thanks in advance for any help.

A razor saw, such as the one below will make short work of the straight
cuts:

https://www.amazon.com/Xacto-X75300-...ords=razor+saw

As for "precise holes", what size and shape?

--
"In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place."

"Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 08:24:04 -0700, Bob F wrote:

[...]

If they are new pipes, a sharp PVC cutter goes right through them but
once they get old and brittle, like you find under a sink, I agree,
wear eye protection because they will shatter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 9:47:28 AM UTC-5, JBI wrote:
I am a student and need to be able to custom cut a thin piece of PVC
pipe of the kind found in bathroom drains, which is a lot thinner than
sch 40. I am doing this for an art project so I will need to cut
precise holes into it as well as just plain cutting of the ends. Is
there something cheap I can use indoors to do this? So far, I tried a
really large, kitchen knife but it wouldn't begin to cut through the
pipe. I also tried a multi piece Xacto knife set with many different
blades, but broke the first blade trying to get through it. Thanks in
advance for any help.

Home Depot sells an inexpensive miter box and saw set that you can use to easily cut the pipe at 90° or 45° angles. You can also use a step bit to drill different size holes in the pipe. If you want to go cheap, you may try a Harbor Freight store for less expensive tools but it appears that Harbor Freight's miter box and saw costs a bit more than Home Depot's miter box and saw. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Handy Monster

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ANVIL-14...SB14/304206812

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...9201/204312636

https://www.harborfreight.com/miter-...saw-66562.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/titani...-pc-69087.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 10:47:28 AM UTC-4, JBI wrote:
I am a student and need to be able to custom cut a thin piece of PVC
pipe of the kind found in bathroom drains, which is a lot thinner than
sch 40.

First ask if you have to use the thin stuff. The Sch 40 is a little more forgiving.

But you won't cut that with a knife either. Can't be done.

You either saw it (the finer tooth the better) or use a tubing cutter. I use a tubing cutter and get very clean cuts but I don't cut anything bigger than an inch.

Holes. Drill bit or hole saw depending on size. Make sure you have the pipe held securely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 4:17:06 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 10:47:28 AM UTC-4, JBI wrote:
I am a student and need to be able to custom cut a thin piece of PVC
pipe of the kind found in bathroom drains, which is a lot thinner than
sch 40.

First ask if you have to use the thin stuff. The Sch 40 is a little more forgiving.

But you won't cut that with a knife either. Can't be done.

Depends on what you call a knife. A simple handheld knife, I agree won't work.
But there are hand held knife based PVC pipe cutters that work like
a set of jaws, with one side being the knife. It has a ratchet type
mechanism and when you squeeze it forces the knife through the pipe.
Works for PVC up to about 1.5".

You either saw it (the finer tooth the better) or use a tubing cutter. I use a tubing cutter and get very clean cuts but I don't cut anything bigger than an inch.

Holes. Drill bit or hole saw depending on size. Make sure you have the pipe held securely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2018 12:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

I hear that CPVC pipe used for hot and cold water plumbing is very
brittle but drain pipes are normal PVC which I would cut with a hacksaw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 20:06:07 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/19/2018 12:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

It is pretty much the same plastic and it all gets brittle with age.
Sunlight hastens that if the PVC is not UV protected.
You can almost tie a knot in a brand new stick of sched 40. It will
certainly bend more than 360 degrees without breaking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/18 9:47 AM, JBI wrote:
I am a student and need to be able to custom cut a thin piece of PVC
pipe of the kind found in bathroom drains, which is a lot thinner than
sch 40.Â* I am doing this for an art project so I will need to cut
precise holes into it as well as just plain cutting of the ends.Â* Is
there something cheap I can use indoors to do this?Â* So far, I tried a
really large, kitchen knife but it wouldn't begin to cut through the
pipe.Â* I also tried a multi piece Xacto knife set with many different
blades, but broke the first blade trying to get through it.Â* Thanks in
advance for any help.

I'm drawing a blank on the proper name. It's just a piece of
thin cable with loops in the ends. One saws through pvc by pulling
the cable back and forth. A hose clamp might work for a guide.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2018 9:24 AM, wrote:
[...]

What was described "the kind found in bathroom drains, which is a lot
thinner than sch 40." sounds to me like the hard plastic garbage they
sell at the big box stores for the "J" trap and connecting pipes under a
sink. I really doubt they are PVC, or that any blade cutter will do
anything more than break them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

In mu experience, CPVC pipe that sees a lot of hot water flow gets very
brittle after 20 years, and cannot then be cut with a PVC pipe cutter.
It just splits when the cutter is pressured enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 19:52:10 -0500, Dean Hoffman wrote:

On 4/19/18 9:47 AM, JBI wrote:
I am a student and need to be able to custom cut a thin piece of PVC
pipe of the kind found in bathroom drains, which is a lot thinner than
sch 40.Â* I am doing this for an art project so I will need to cut
precise holes into it as well as just plain cutting of the ends.Â* Is
there something cheap I can use indoors to do this?Â* So far, I tried a
really large, kitchen knife but it wouldn't begin to cut through the
pipe.Â* I also tried a multi piece Xacto knife set with many different
blades, but broke the first blade trying to get through it.Â* Thanks in
advance for any help.

I'm drawing a blank on the proper name. It's just a piece of
thin cable with loops in the ends. One saws through pvc by pulling
the cable back and forth. A hose clamp might work for a guide.

The best way to cut PVC is with a ratcheting PVC cutter. Some of them are junk.
I got a good one on Amazon for 19 bucks a couple years ago. It unavailable now.
Cut some pieces of 1 1/2 inch with it for a sump pump project.
But I did fine before that with a miter box and a backsaw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

combined with a holder and two grips that you squeeze.Â* That will
give you clean cuts.Â* To make a hole,
[...]

The C in CPVC signifies PVC that is crosslinked. I've never used it but
neighbor told me had had replace his copper pipes with it and working
under the sink pulled on a piece to support himself and it just broke.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

CHLORINATED not Crosslinked. That pipe is also very pliable when it is
new. It gets brittle with age. They use a lot of it down here although
PEX (the one that is Crosslinked) is taking over now that they have
the termination problems solved. That is more like hose than pipe and
very flexible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

A related question is if it's something other than PVC, where is he
going to get it? PVC is cheap, readily available. The thinner stuff
that's used for tailpieces and such under a sink, IDK what it's made
of, but where do you get any reasonable lengths of it for project
work?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The white drain pipe under a sink is PVC and you can buy tail pieces
up to 20-24" long but probably not at Home Depot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I stand corrected. It just came out of my memory and I should have
checked again. It is chemically modified and probably breaks down
differently with aging.

Plumbers have told us that copper pipes age faster with our well water
and I had thought about CPVC and PEX as alternatives. One neighbor got
CPVC and I heard about his breakage problem. Another got PEX and the
fittings started to leak. I have not had a leak in the copper for 20
years. Lessons to learn to all in group considering use of a new
material in the home where long life is needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JBI posted for all of us...

I am a student and need to be able to custom cut a thin piece of PVC
pipe of the kind found in bathroom drains, which is a lot thinner than
sch 40. I am doing this for an art project so I will need to cut
precise holes into it as well as just plain cutting of the ends. Is
there something cheap I can use indoors to do this? So far, I tried a
really large, kitchen knife but it wouldn't begin to cut through the
pipe. I also tried a multi piece Xacto knife set with many different
blades, but broke the first blade trying to get through it. Thanks in
advance for any help.

What direction are you cutting it? Longitudinally or cross section?

--
Tekkie