jmonteiro

Default Lithium Battery Leak! Help!

Hi group. Both Maxell CR 2016 3V batteries in my Nova keychain flashlight
leaked after I accidentally went swimming with my keys in my pocket. Does
anyone know how to clean out all of the battery leakage, it has corroded
some of the little metal pieces (rusty looking)? Also, how do you recycle
these batteries?

Justin

Travis Jordan

jmonteiro wrote:
Hi group. Both Maxell CR 2016 3V batteries in my Nova keychain
flashlight leaked after I accidentally went swimming with my keys in
my pocket. Does anyone know how to clean out all of the battery
leakage, it has corroded some of the little metal pieces (rusty
looking)? Also, how do you recycle these batteries?

Justin

CR2016 "coin" lithium batteries are not rechargable, and I don't know of
anyone who takes old (non-recharable) batteries for recycling. Just
throw them away.

About your Nova flashlight...it is trashed - buy a new one. Maybe a
water resistant one this time?

http://www.equipped.com/led_lights3b.htm
http://www.photonlight.com/products/...icrolight.html

Jim Yanik

"jmonteiro" wrote in
newsN%Mc.2340$zA4.1252@lakeread04:

Hi group. Both Maxell CR 2016 3V batteries in my Nova keychain
flashlight leaked after I accidentally went swimming with my keys in
my pocket. Does anyone know how to clean out all of the battery
leakage, it has corroded some of the little metal pieces (rusty
looking)? Also, how do you recycle these batteries?

Justin

Radio Shack accepts batteries for recycling.
Household vinegar will probably clean out the electrolyte from the cells.
It works for alkaline batteries,too.
It will not do anything for the rust or restore the plating,though.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Chuck Yerkes

Travis Jordan wrote:
jmonteiro wrote:

CR2016 "coin" lithium batteries are not rechargable, and I don't know of
anyone who takes old (non-recharable) batteries for recycling. Just
throw them away.

No! Lithium's nasty (the current alkalines don't have mercury anymore
so they're not as bad as they were in the 80s).

Radio Shack and other places take Lithium batteries, old Cell Phone
and Laptop batteries.
Travis Jordan

Chuck Yerkes wrote:
Travis Jordan wrote:
jmonteiro wrote:

CR2016 "coin" lithium batteries are not rechargable, and I don't
know of anyone who takes old (non-recharable) batteries for
recycling. Just throw them away.

No! Lithium's nasty (the current alkalines don't have mercury anymore
so they're not as bad as they were in the 80s).

Radio Shack and other places take Lithium batteries, old Cell Phone
and Laptop batteries.

Fully discharged CR (Manganese Dioxide) lithium batteries aren't
"nasty".

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...iumCR_Info.pdf

DISPOSAL
Lithium batteries are neither specifically listed nor exempted from the
Federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) hazardous waste
regulations as promulgated by the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act
(RCRA). The only metal of possible concern in a lithium battery is
lithium that is not a listed or characteristic toxic hazardous waste.
Waste lithium batteries can be considered a reactive hazardous waste if
there is a significant amount of unreacted, or unconsumed lithium
remaining in the spent battery. The key to disposing of a lithium
battery as a non*hazardous waste is to guarantee that it is fully or
mostly discharged. Once it is discharged it can be disposed of as
non*hazardous waste. You can dispose of a fully charged or partially
discharged lithium battery as a hazardous waste after they are first
neutralized through an approved secondary treatment. The need for a
secondary treatment prior to disposal is a requirement of the U.S. Land
Ban Restrictions of the Hazardous and Solid Waste Amendments of 1984. A
secondary treatment center can only receive these batteries as
manifested hazardous waste. The waste code for charged lithium batteries
is D003, reactive. In either case, button cell batteries contain so
little lithium that they never qualify as a reactive hazardous waste.
These batteries are safe for disposal in the normal municipal waste
stream.

Travis Jordan

Chuck Yerkes wrote:
Radio Shack and other places take Lithium batteries, old Cell Phone
and Laptop batteries.

Rechargable batteries, that is.

Information courtesy of http://www.rbrc.com/consumer/faq.html
Where can I recycle my used rechargeable batteries?

Just go to any of our participating retailers. In the U.S.: Alltel,
Batteries Plus, Best Buy, Black & Decker, Cingular Wireless, The Home
Depot, Milwaukee Electric Tool, Orchard Supply, Porter Cable Service
Center, RadioShack, Remington Product Company, Sears, Staples, Target,
US Cellular, Verizon Wireless, and Wal-Mart. And in Canada: Battery
Plus, Bell Mobility, Canadian Tire, FIDO/Microcell, Future Shop, The
Home Depot, Home Hardware, London Drugs, Makita Factory Service Centers,
Personal Edge/Centre du Rasoir, RadioShack Canada, Revy, Sasktel, Sears,
The Sony Store, Telus Mobility and Zellers.

Use our collection site locator, or call the consumer helpline,
1-800-8-BATTERY, to find the retail collection site nearest you.

Stormin Mormon

I'd suggest put the batts in a ziploc sandwich bag, and then a second Ziploc
on top of the first one. Really contain the crud.

Agreed, the flash light is junk. The LED bulb may be useful for play, it
runs on 4.5 volts.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Chuck Yerkes" wrote in message
Travis Jordan wrote:
jmonteiro wrote:

CR2016 "coin" lithium batteries are not rechargable, and I don't know of
anyone who takes old (non-recharable) batteries for recycling. Just
throw them away.

No! Lithium's nasty (the current alkalines don't have mercury anymore
so they're not as bad as they were in the 80s).

Radio Shack and other places take Lithium batteries, old Cell Phone
and Laptop batteries.

Travis Jordan

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd suggest put the batts in a ziploc sandwich bag, and then a second
Ziploc on top of the first one. Really contain the crud.

/snip/
"....button cell batteries contain so little lithium that they never
qualify as a reactive hazardous waste. These batteries are safe for
disposal in the normal municipal waste stream." ibid
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...iumCR_Info.pdf