Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Default Improving upon the concept of "intelligent spacers" within folders on the Android home screen

This is a question aimed at further improving upon the concept of
"intelligent spacers" within folders on the Android home screen.

http://i.cubeupload.com/lfRAQ7.gif

I generally keep a few hundred apps well organized on my single home screen
for left-handed single-handed access, where I separate the apps by what I
call "intelligent spacers" such as those shown below in my maps folder:

What I mean by intelligent spacers is that these spacers act both to
separate classes of apps within a folder, and when I tap on the spacer
icon, up pops a description of the apps in each category.

The system I use is by no means perfect, so I'm just asking here if
technically competent Android users have ideas to improve upon this concept
of intelligent spacers to better organize apps within folders.

TIA
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 11:07:24 -0700, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:

This is a question aimed at further improving upon the concept of
"intelligent spacers" within folders on the Android home screen.

http://i.cubeupload.com/lfRAQ7.gif

I generally keep a few hundred apps well organized on my single home screen
for left-handed single-handed access, where I separate the apps by what I
call "intelligent spacers" such as those shown below in my maps folder:

What I mean by intelligent spacers is that these spacers act both to
separate classes of apps within a folder, and when I tap on the spacer
icon, up pops a description of the apps in each category.

The system I use is by no means perfect, so I'm just asking here if
technically competent Android users have ideas to improve upon this concept
of intelligent spacers to better organize apps within folders.

TIA

If it were me, since it's my phone and I don't care to document my
clustering for others, I'd just drop the "intelligent" and leave
those spots actually blank to provide a better visual break.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Am Thu, 29 Mar 2018 13:11:19 -0000 (UTC), schrieb Joe Beanfish:

If it were me, since it's my phone and I don't care to document my
clustering for others, I'd just drop the "intelligent" and leave
those spots actually blank to provide a better visual break.

That's a good idea I had not thought of previously, which is to create
blank non-intelligent spacers on Android inside of folders.

I appreciate that advice to drop the "intelligent" part of the spacers by
not making them a link to a file (or folder or web page), but then the
question becomes how to make a "blank" spacer on Android inside of folders.

It's easy to have blanks on Android *outside* of folders, which I already
have as shown he
http://i.cubeupload.com/5iruqW.png

But how do you add blank spacers *inside* a folder on Android?
http://i.cubeupload.com/7wit37.png

On iOS, like on Android, I learned how to create blank spacers on the home
screen, starting with this:
http://i.cubeupload.com/ilWspv.gif

And ending up with this:
http://i.cubeupload.com/IGeG1p.png

But that trick only worked because my background, for power reasons, is
pitch black and non transparent:
http://i.cubeupload.com/gFr0gg.jpg

But that trick doesn't work for folders, which are a transparent gray:
http://i.cubeupload.com/jPmvBS.jpg

The transparency is different depending on the location of the spacer:
http://i.cubeupload.com/DnEznl.png

Where the results aren't all that seamless:
http://i.cubeupload.com/7pzzMC.png

But, at least on iOS, I was able to do what you suggest, which is create
non-intelligent blank spacers *inside* of folders:
http://i.cubeupload.com/DQLSeV.png

*But how do you create blank spacers inside of folders on Android?*