DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wires Too Short in Outlet Box, How to Extend Length ? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/607357-re-wires-too-short-outlet-box-how-extend-length.html)

Sandy March 20th 18 07:14 PM

Wires Too Short in Outlet Box, How to Extend Length ?

replying to zxcvbob, Sandy wrote:
Those back-stab outlets will work but they won't hold as well as regular side
post switches.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...gth-98929-.htm

trader_4 March 20th 18 07:26 PM

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 3:14:07 PM UTC-4, Sandy wrote:
replying to zxcvbob, Sandy wrote:
Those back-stab outlets will work but they won't hold as well as regular side
post switches.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...gth-98929-.htm

The back clamp type, which is what zxybob recommended will perform as
well as screw terminal switches or receptacles.

Clare Snyder March 20th 18 08:10 PM

Wires Too Short in Outlet Box, How to Extend Length ?

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 19:36:53 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Tue 20 Mar 2018 12:14:02p, Sandy told us...

replying to zxcvbob, Sandy wrote:
Those back-stab outlets will work but they won't hold as well as
regular side post switches.

It's true that they don't hold s well, but once properly installed and
mountded properly, what's to make them loosen up? I've used them on
some occasions and never had a problem.

If you really need to lenghthen the wires, the additional pieces of
wire can be joined together first, then soldered, then properly
insulated.

For north american code simply wire-nutting a "pigtail" on is all
that is required. In a situation like that I wirenut a length of
stranded wire on to allow more flexibility. "Back Stab" outlets are a
REALLY BAD idea. Back "clamp" outlets are a GOOD idea (screw clamped
rear wire entry)