Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fix my bumper?

On Friday, March 23, 2018 at 3:07:56 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Friday, March 23, 2018 at 11:12:27 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, March 23, 2018 at 10:07:46 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 10:23:12 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:
On 22 Mar 2018, rbowman wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Are you in an area with boats? A marine supply store usually has a
good selection and they also have fiberglass tape. Not the sticky
stuff but just the glass. Trying to cut the square of cloth into
strips tends to go south fast as you try to paste the unraveling
strands into place.

I am (Boston)! And there's a marine supply place nearby. I hadn't
thought of that. Good idea - thanks.

This may have to wait a couple of weeks. I'll be traveling next week.
When I get back I hope the weather will be more amenable.

The marine stuff is much better but 10 times the cost. YMMV.

If it's epoxy resin and fiberglass fabric he wants, many places have
it, including Home Depot, Lowes, maybe Walmart and local hardware store
too. I'd bet they are less expensive than a marine store.

Maybe, but read it carefully before buying. Most of those are polyester resin rather than epoxy. Every time I've looked for epoxy it's cost a lot more.

Epoxy is stronger and safer to work with (less likely to cause a chemical sensitivity reaction and less vapors) but more expensive.

Like the man said, it's a small repair outdoors on a car. He's not building a boat hull. But then I used crazy glue, 50 cents, to each his own.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message

The marine stuff is much better but 10 times the cost. YMMV.

If it's epoxy resin and fiberglass fabric he wants, many places have
it, including Home Depot, Lowes, maybe Walmart and local hardware store
too. I'd bet they are less expensive than a marine store.

Maybe, but read it carefully before buying. Most of those are polyester
resin rather than epoxy. Every time I've looked for epoxy it's cost a lot
more.

Epoxy is stronger and safer to work with (less likely to cause a chemical
sensitivity reaction and less vapors) but more expensive.

That's true but it doesn't mean that polyester is not useful. One problem
with epoxy is the cure time - slow. Poly can be catalysed so it sets almost
instantaneously. Anothe epoxy nuisance is the fact that it blushes and the
blush needs to be removed before painting; further, if exposed to UV it has
to be painted to protect it from deterioration.

As far as cost, epoxy is always more but cloth and resin prices also depend
upon source and quantity. I use these people...
http://www.uscomposites.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2018 at 6:16:54 AM, dadiOH wrote:

As far as cost, epoxy is always more but cloth and resin prices also
depend upon source and quantity. I use these people...
http://www.uscomposites.com/

That looks like a great resource, thanks for posting it.

--
"In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place."

"Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth"

Bumper-mounted trailer hitch bracket for Jeep Wrangler TJ Richard J Kinch Metalworking 76 February 5th 06 05:04 AM
Fixing Brackets to ABS Car Bumper.... ? Steve Walker UK diy 21 January 9th 06 05:12 PM
Bumper Pool Table Plan JGS Woodworking 0 November 22nd 04 06:28 PM
Rear bumper cover 2001 Honda - body repair ? [email protected] Metalworking 1 August 14th 04 03:24 PM
Angle Iron Bumper David De Vuono Metalworking 9 January 16th 04 11:29 PM