DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   14 gauge speaker wire (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/605955-14-gauge-speaker-wire.html)

micky February 24th 18 04:52 PM

14 gauge speaker wire

Recently bought 100 feet of 14 gauge speaker wire.

It says on the role, not designed for in-wall installations .

Why not, it's only speaker current?

OTOH, it's 14 gauge. Could I use it for a lamp cord? The insulation is
clear and a little stiffer, but it seems a lot like electrical wire.
What reason is there that it can't be used for electric radios, lamps,
etc?

[email protected] February 24th 18 06:25 PM

14 gauge speaker wire

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:52:38 -0500, micky
wrote:

Recently bought 100 feet of 14 gauge speaker wire.

It says on the role, not designed for in-wall installations .

Why not, it's only speaker current?

OTOH, it's 14 gauge. Could I use it for a lamp cord? The insulation is
clear and a little stiffer, but it seems a lot like electrical wire.
What reason is there that it can't be used for electric radios, lamps,
etc?

It has to do with the fire rating of the insulation. In a wall, wire
has to be "riser" rated. Will it burn your house down? No but the
smoke will be worse if you have a fire and the wire will contribute to
the spread of the fire.
It may really just be lamp cord but if it is not marked "300v" it is
not legal lamp cord. That is not unusual tho. Most offshore stuff that
does not carry the U/L label will be that way.

Clare Snyder February 24th 18 07:54 PM

14 gauge speaker wire

wrote:

Recently bought 100 feet of 14 gauge speaker wire.

It says on the role, not designed for in-wall installations .

Why not, it's only speaker current?

OTOH, it's 14 gauge. Could I use it for a lamp cord? The insulation is
clear and a little stiffer, but it seems a lot like electrical wire.
What reason is there that it can't be used for electric radios, lamps,
etc?

Because it's cheap-assed speaker wire, not designed for or approved
for power use.

You get more dangerous every day, Micky.

The damned stuff is a fire hazzard. Safe for audio use - but that's
all.

Ralph Mowery February 25th 18 12:51 AM

14 gauge speaker wire

In article ,
says...

OTOH, it's 14 gauge. Could I use it for a lamp cord? The insulation is
clear and a little stiffer, but it seems a lot like electrical wire.
What reason is there that it can't be used for electric radios, lamps,
etc?

Because it's cheap-assed speaker wire, not designed for or approved
for power use.

You get more dangerous every day, Micky.

The damned stuff is a fire hazzard. Safe for audio use - but that's
all.

Some of the speaker wire (maybe even low voltage wire for cars) seems to
be comming in that is actually copper coated aluminum.

Clare Snyder February 25th 18 04:07 AM

14 gauge speaker wire

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 19:51:32 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

OTOH, it's 14 gauge. Could I use it for a lamp cord? The insulation is
clear and a little stiffer, but it seems a lot like electrical wire.
What reason is there that it can't be used for electric radios, lamps,
etc?

Because it's cheap-assed speaker wire, not designed for or approved
for power use.

You get more dangerous every day, Micky.

The damned stuff is a fire hazzard. Safe for audio use - but that's
all.

Some of the speaker wire (maybe even low voltage wire for cars) seems to
be comming in that is actually copper coated aluminum.

Or chinese mystery metal.
The big joke is the "oxygen free" speeker wire that Yuppies pay 5 or
more times as much for as you pay for lamp cord.

Ralph Mowery February 25th 18 04:45 AM

14 gauge speaker wire

In article ,
says...
Some of the speaker wire (maybe even low voltage wire for cars) seems to
be comming in that is actually copper coated aluminum.

Or chinese mystery metal.
The big joke is the "oxygen free" speeker wire that Yuppies pay 5 or
more times as much for as you pay for lamp cord.

I said aluminum, but it could be any kind of aluminum looking mystery
metal.

The one I really like it the 120 volt cord that goes from the equipment
to the wall socket. That is a 6 foot long cord for atleast $ 100 of
some of that 'oxygen free slipery teflon wire'. Do they not know there
could be 20 to 100 feet of cheap copper # 12 or # 14 wired going to the
breaker box and hard telling what to the main transformer.

gregz February 25th 18 09:55 AM

14 gauge speaker wire

Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 19:51:32 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

OTOH, it's 14 gauge. Could I use it for a lamp cord? The insulation is
clear and a little stiffer, but it seems a lot like electrical wire.
What reason is there that it can't be used for electric radios, lamps,
etc?
Because it's cheap-assed speaker wire, not designed for or approved
for power use.

You get more dangerous every day, Micky.

The damned stuff is a fire hazzard. Safe for audio use - but that's
all.

Some of the speaker wire (maybe even low voltage wire for cars) seems to
be comming in that is actually copper coated aluminum.

Or chinese mystery metal.
The big joke is the "oxygen free" speeker wire that Yuppies pay 5 or
more times as much for as you pay for lamp cord.

All flexible copper is low oxygen.

Greg

gregz February 25th 18 09:59 AM

14 gauge speaker wire

micky wrote:
Recently bought 100 feet of 14 gauge speaker wire.

It says on the role, not designed for in-wall installations .

Why not, it's only speaker current?

OTOH, it's 14 gauge. Could I use it for a lamp cord? The insulation is
clear and a little stiffer, but it seems a lot like electrical wire.
What reason is there that it can't be used for electric radios, lamps,
etc?

I think it's mostly about it looks and possibly insulation type.

Greg

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= February 26th 18 08:16 PM

14 gauge speaker wire

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

wrote:

Recently bought 100 feet of 14 gauge speaker wire.

It says on the role, not designed for in-wall installations .

Why not, it's only speaker current?

OTOH, it's 14 gauge. Could I use it for a lamp cord? The insulation is
clear and a little stiffer, but it seems a lot like electrical wire.
What reason is there that it can't be used for electric radios, lamps,
etc?

Because it's cheap-assed speaker wire, not designed for or approved
for power use.

You get more dangerous every day, Micky.

The damned stuff is a fire hazzard. Safe for audio use - but that's
all.

I thought he asked this several weeks ago...

--
Tekkie