Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT What is this thing in Florida

OT What is this thing in Florida?

When you look in map view, it's not green like the Everglades, it's
white with no name and no roads.

A friend tells me its where space aliens landed about 20 years ago, they
destroyed all the buildings and roads, they don't let any human come in,
and they may live underground since there are still no building or roads
and the areas has no name and no named features on google maps.

Is he right?

Another friend told me that an oblong meteorite hit there about 30 years
ago and it had the same effect as above. Is he right instead?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pa....2532249?hl=en

Another interesting thing shows if you zoom out a little and look at the
Bahama islands. I'm referring to the sudden change in color of the water
around thhem, royal blue, but surrounded by violet Is that just an
aspect of depth? How deep can the water be and still show up as royal
blue?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 14:21:39 -0500, micky
wrote:

[...]

Are you talking about the white looking square that says "map" on it?
Click that and you get a map, not the aerial photo.
As for the water Google Earth is a compilation of a ****load of
satellite images shot at different times of day and different times of
the year so different panes will look different and may even change at
different zoom, levels.
I look at a lot of water aerials in my volunteer work with the state.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It's Micky - what do you expect? An intelligent question????

Google should be his friend.

If he asks google the questuion about sea color, one result will be:
https://science.nasa.gov/earth-scien...an/ocean-color

which gives a fairly complete, if not simple, answer.

As far as the "map" square???? Need I say any more?????
Perhaps why he has not used Google for the other search - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2018 2:21 PM, micky wrote:
OT What is this thing in Florida?

When you look in map view, it's not green like the Everglades, it's
white with no name and no roads.

A friend tells me its where space aliens landed about 20 years ago, they
destroyed all the buildings and roads, they don't let any human come in,
and they may live underground since there are still no building or roads
and the areas has no name and no named features on google maps.

Is he right?

That's where all Florida crematoriums are required to dispose of their unclaimed ashes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 20:59:34 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote in

It's Micky - what do you expect? An intelligent question????

+1

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, the big thing right in the middle of the picture, shaped a little
like a sweet potato, but dark green, part of the map-satellite view, but
a part that has no roads or buildings. It's not the same color as the
unbuilt area to its southwest or any of the Everglades. The way it is
built up around the edge seems different too.

As for the water Google Earth is a compilation of a ****load of
satellite images shot at different times of day and different times of
the year so different panes will look different and may even change at
different zoom, levels.
I look at a lot of water aerials in my volunteer work with the state.

Thanks, Clare, for the link. The question about the water was just an
add-on since I noticed it when looking at this particular area. I
haven't read the whole link yet but it seems to deal with the color
change there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 13:37:42 -0500, micky
wrote:

Are you talking about the white looking square that says "map" on it?
Click that and you get a map, not the aerial photo.

No, the big thing right in the middle of the picture, shaped a little
like a sweet potato, but dark green, part of the map-satellite view, but
a part that has no roads or buildings. It's not the same color as the
unbuilt area to its southwest or any of the Everglades. The way it is
built up around the edge seems different too.

Are you talking about the swamp?
Hover over that little pine tree looking thing and it will say that is
the Loxahatchee wildlife preserve.
As soon as you get much west of the Fl Turnpike everything used to be
swamp and most of the developed areas were drained and filled. What
was not is still swamp and federally protected "wetland" or preserves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'd say swamp.
Must be somebody from Boca or West palm or environs who can tell you
for sure.

As for the water Google Earth is a compilation of a ****load of
satellite images shot at different times of day and different times of
the year so different panes will look different and may even change at
different zoom, levels.
I look at a lot of water aerials in my volunteer work with the state.

Thanks, Clare, for the link. The question about the water was just an
add-on since I noticed it when looking at this particular area. I
haven't read the whole link yet but it seems to deal with the color
change there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 23:49:31 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/19/2018 09:07 PM, wrote:
Right here in my little town 20 years ago 5 miles east of 75 was a
dirt road with palmetto scrub and marsh land on both sides. Now it is
a 2 lane blacktop with plans to go to 4 and you can drop a golf ball
right over the I-75 fence and play all the way to Immokalee if you
don't mind jumping some fences, and playing through someones yard
between courses.

I haven't been in Florida in over 30 years. When I lived in New
Hampshire I would take a few weeks off in the fall and chase the season
down the seaboard, hanging out in FL before going back to winter. I
liked it in a Apalachicola and Ocala forests. That little state park
down by Ft. Myers where Cyrus Teed and the Hollow Earth nutters settled
was nice too. It was okay to visit but I like mountains. I went looking
for the highest point, never could find it. Wish there'd been GPSs back
then.

You are talking about the Koreshan site, It is about a mile up river
from me and the land I live on, belonged the Koreshans 110 years ago.
I am guessing the "highest point" was Mound Key (the highest place in
Lee County ... before the landfill), We boat around that all the time.
You are talking about my town. 2000 people 30 years ago, more like
40,000 now and they are predicting 80,000 in a decade.

The Koreshans were pretty interesting. They grew bamboo for Thomas
Edison as one of his experiments for light bulb filament. I still have
some of that bamboo growing in my yard. There are little patches that
grew wild down the river Fortunately this is the clump style that
does not eat your yard. They are overrun by the wrong kind up at the
park.

I'm glad I saw DizzyWorld back then. I just read where they've jumped
the tickets to $120 a pop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Are you talking about the white looking square that says "map" on it?
Click that and you get a map, not the aerial photo.

No, the big thing right in the middle of the picture, shaped a little
like a sweet potato, but dark green, part of the map-satellite view, but
a part that has no roads or buildings. It's not the same color as the
unbuilt area to its southwest or any of the Everglades. The way it is
built up around the edge seems different too.

Are you talking about the swamp?

I guess so. I love swamps. Though in Florida, I'd probably have to run
from alligators. But maybe not, or maybe not**.

Hover over that little pine tree looking thing and it will say that is
the Loxahatchee wildlife preserve.

I couldn't find the pine tree. but I did find a the name you give and
that led to
https://www.fws.gov/refuge/ARM_Loxah...ctivities.html
**"Stop by our visitor center to learn about hiking, biking, wildlife
observation, photography, hunting, fishing and other great recreational
opportunities on the refuge." I think I will do that on my next trip
to visit my brother in Florida.

As soon as you get much west of the Fl Turnpike everything used to be
swamp and most of the developed areas were drained and filled. What
was not is still swamp and federally protected "wetland" or preserves.

I'm surprised it looks so different from the Everglades. I know they
combine pictures taken at different times, but the color change line is
curved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Are you talking about the white looking square that says "map" on it?
Click that and you get a map, not the aerial photo.

No, the big thing right in the middle of the picture, shaped a little
like a sweet potato, but dark green, part of the map-satellite view, but
a part that has no roads or buildings. It's not the same color as the
unbuilt area to its southwest or any of the Everglades. The way it is
built up around the edge seems different too.

Are you talking about the swamp?

I guess so. I love swamps. Though in Florida, I'd probably have to run
from alligators. But maybe not, or maybe not**.

You really don't run from an alligator. The motion attracts their
attention and they might chase that motion. Then can go from 0 to
around 15 MPH in a second so they are likely to catch you too.
Best is to walk slowly away, 90 degrees from where they are pointing.
They don't turn that well and if you can stay beside them while
getting away they usually give up. Every time I have seen one, pretty
common playing golf, I have just walked away without really arousing
their attention at all.
I did hit this one with a ball and still nothing. You can see it by
his front foot
http://gfretwell.com/wildlife/Water%20hazard.jpg

[...]

It is probably a different kind of grass. Up there I imagine that is
saw grass. The glades will have things that work better in wetter
areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/20/2018 09:55 AM, micky wrote:
I guess so. I love swamps. Though in Florida, I'd probably have to run
from alligators. But maybe not, or maybe not**.

http://gastateparks.org/StephenCFoster/

You can rent a canoe and go commune with the alligators. They won't
bother you although that little smile can be disconcerting as you paddle
by.

Seriously, if you like swamps. this is a good one. It's a lot more laid
back than Everglades NP. Watch out for the raccoons in the camping area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 13:18:14 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/20/2018 09:55 AM, micky wrote:
I guess so. I love swamps. Though in Florida, I'd probably have to run
from alligators. But maybe not, or maybe not**.

http://gastateparks.org/StephenCFoster/

You can rent a canoe and go commune with the alligators. They won't
bother you although that little smile can be disconcerting as you paddle
by.

Seriously, if you like swamps. this is a good one. It's a lot more laid
back than Everglades NP. Watch out for the raccoons in the camping area.

PSA: Florida Bay, the lower end on the Everglades estuaries has salt
water Crocodiles.
--
"People who worry about crocodiles are smart!" -Joe Machi
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/20/2018 09:55 AM, micky wrote:
I guess so. I love swamps. Though in Florida, I'd probably have to run
from alligators. But maybe not, or maybe not**.

http://gastateparks.org/StephenCFoster/

You can rent a canoe and go commune with the alligators. They won't
bother you although that little smile can be disconcerting as you paddle
by.

Seriously, if you like swamps. this is a good one. It's a lot more laid
back than Everglades NP. Watch out for the raccoons in the camping area.

PSA: Florida Bay, the lower end on the Everglades estuaries has salt
water Crocodiles.

Good place for them. I'll worry when salties make it to the upper Missouri.