Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

Default Times table check trialled ahead of rollout

Another triumph for conservatism. I wonder who's behind this brainwave.
Heaven help the world after Brexit with Boris in charge and this kind of
forward creative thinking. We're gonna be 'Yuge'. UK UK UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43046142

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, ******* hacker, Resident evil, Monkey Boy,
the SCOURGE, l33t p00h d3 tr0ll, p00h == lam3r, p00h == tr0ll, troll infme,

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:

Another triumph for conservatism. I wonder who's behind this brainwave.
Heaven help the world after Brexit with Boris in charge and this kind of
forward creative thinking. We're gonna be 'Yuge'. UK UK UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43046142

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Our lad's already been doing times tables test for the last year and a
half, and he still forgets them :-) Too many other distractions in a
kid's life, these days. Having said that, if someone were to ask me
what 6 * 7 is, I'd still have to go 6 * 6 = 36, and then add 6. Same
for 7 * 8.
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth, alt.home.repair, uk.legal, uk.politics.misc, alt.politics.uk

On 14 Feb 2018, p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote
(in ):

Another triumph for conservatism. I wonder who's behind this brainwave.

Someone who has never heard of computers or calculators, so probably Ye Olde
Rees Mogg.

Heaven help the world after Brexit with Boris in charge and this kind of
forward creative thinking. We're gonna be 'Yuge'. UK UK UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43046142

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 10:59:31 +0000, "Dan S. MacAbre" wrote:

p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:

Another triumph for conservatism. I wonder who's behind this brainwave.
Heaven help the world after Brexit with Boris in charge and this kind of
forward creative thinking. We're gonna be 'Yuge'. UK UK UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43046142

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Our lad's already been doing times tables test for the last year and a
half, and he still forgets them :-) Too many other distractions in a
kid's life, these days. Having said that, if someone were to ask me
what 6 * 7 is, I'd still have to go 6 * 6 = 36, and then add 6. Same
for 7 * 8.

Playing darts sharpened me up. Of course nowadays they would have to
provide a safe space and a non competitive environment for learning. I
still feel the need for therapy 40 years later. #mepoohdartsrecovery

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 10:59:31 +0000, "Dan S. wrote:

p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:

Another triumph for conservatism. I wonder who's behind this brainwave.
Heaven help the world after Brexit with Boris in charge and this kind of
forward creative thinking. We're gonna be 'Yuge'. UK UK UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43046142

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Our lad's already been doing times tables test for the last year and a
half, and he still forgets them :-) Too many other distractions in a
kid's life, these days. Having said that, if someone were to ask me
what 6 * 7 is, I'd still have to go 6 * 6 = 36, and then add 6. Same
for 7 * 8.

Playing darts sharpened me up. Of course nowadays they would have to
provide a safe space and a non competitive environment for learning. I
still feel the need for therapy 40 years later. #mepoohdartsrecovery

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Yes, I am always amazed at the way professional darts players can almost
instantly re-calculate the double they need when the previous dart has landed
in the wrong bed.

I suppose that because they are practicing for hours every day, it is just
second nature to them.

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

johnny-knowall wrote:
On 14 Feb 2018, p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote
(in ):

Another triumph for conservatism. I wonder who's behind this brainwave.

Someone who has never heard of computers or calculators, so probably Ye Olde
Rees Mogg.

I used to think there was an assumption that kids are better off
learning to use calculators these days, but our lad regularly has times
tables excercises in his homework (and we certainly didn't have homework
from the age of 5 when I was a lad), to be tested the week after.
Trouble is, by the time he's got to 12 (again), he's forgotten the 7.
To my mind, a national test most likely has the purpose of identifying
schools that make little effort to teach tables, when compared to the
average; IOW, that they are sticking to the curriculum. Schools will
already know, I think, which children have parents that are not equipped
or motivated to do those elements of teaching that are expected to be
done at home. Childhood isn't what it used to be.

Heaven help the world after Brexit with Boris in charge and this kind of
forward creative thinking. We're gonna be 'Yuge'. UK UK UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43046142

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:

Another triumph for conservatism. I wonder who's behind this brainwave.
Heaven help the world after Brexit with Boris in charge and this kind of
forward creative thinking. We're gonna be 'Yuge'. UK UK UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43046142

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Our lad's already been doing times tables test for the last year and a
half, and he still forgets them :-) Too many other distractions in a
kid's life, these days. Having said that, if someone were to ask me
what 6 * 7 is, I'd still have to go 6 * 6 = 36, and then add 6. Same
for 7 * 8.

Playing darts sharpened me up. Of course nowadays they would have to
provide a safe space and a non competitive environment for learning. I
still feel the need for therapy 40 years later. #mepoohdartsrecovery

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

My dad can do that. Tell you what you need to finish, each time you hit
the wrong numbers (I'm hopeless at darts).

The idea of having a dartboard in the classroom is an interesting one
:-) Seems unlikely these days. I know you didn't mean that, but the
thought of it made me laugh.
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure repetition is what they should be teaching. Personally, I
know I lack the foundation skills of how to solve mathematical problems
and hence I work much harder when I have to do something like that than
I would do [I'm a programmer] if I had been taught those skills. The
times table stuff was dying when I was at school. It doesn't strike me
as being close to what kids nowadays need going forward into the future.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, ******* hacker, Resident evil, Monkey Boy,
the SCOURGE, l33t p00h d3 tr0ll, p00h == lam3r, p00h == tr0ll, troll infme,

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:

[...]

If it was a case of the time being better spent on other things, I might
agree; but IMHO primary school is just another place to put your kids so
that you can go to work. They do learn what I would call (in my
old-fashioned way) a load of nonsense. So learning the tables might
actually come on useful.

and hence I work much harder when I have to do something like that than
I would do [I'm a programmer] if I had been taught those skills. The

I also am a programmer, but I hardly ever need to know times tables (the
computer is supposed to work out the answers like that), just a fondness
for detail and optimisation that would irritate most people :-) But
times tables are more useful for me for things like shopping - having
the right change ready so that you don't accrue coins at a faster rate
than you can get rid of them. It also helps with the extended things
like long multiplication and division. When 'they' let off an EMP over
our heads, we're going to need to know stuff like that :-) Like morse
code saving your life in the films. Mind you, I can't do that yet.

times table stuff was dying when I was at school. It doesn't strike me
as being close to what kids nowadays need going forward into the future.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On 14/02/2018 11:23, johnny-knowall wrote:

Yes, I am always amazed at the way professional darts players can almost
instantly re-calculate the double they need when the previous dart has landed
in the wrong bed.

I suppose that because they are practicing for hours every day, it is just
second nature to them.

Ditto for snooker players

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth, alt.home.repair, uk.legal, uk.politics.misc, alt.politics.uk

On 14 Feb 2018, Vidcapper wrote
(in article ):

On 14/02/2018 11:23, johnny-knowall wrote:

Yes, I am always amazed at the way professional darts players can almost
instantly re-calculate the double they need when the previous dart has
landed
in the wrong bed.

I suppose that because they are practicing for hours every day, it is just
second nature to them.

Ditto for snooker players

Although with snooker the players often make lengthy glances at the
scoreboard, so their maths cannot be as instant as darts players. And snooker
doesnt have certain shots that double or treble each score.

Most people can add the numbers 1 to 7 pretty easily.

Treble 14, treble 17, double 12 is not quite so straightforward.

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On 2018\02\14 16:53, johnny-knowall wrote:
On 14 Feb 2018, Vidcapper wrote
(in article ):

On 14/02/2018 11:23, johnny-knowall wrote:

Yes, I am always amazed at the way professional darts players can almost
instantly re-calculate the double they need when the previous dart has
landed
in the wrong bed.

I suppose that because they are practicing for hours every day, it is just
second nature to them.

Ditto for snooker players

Although with snooker the players often make lengthy glances at the
scoreboard, so their maths cannot be as instant as darts players. And snooker
doesnt have certain shots that double or treble each score.

Most people can add the numbers 1 to 7 pretty easily.

Treble 14, treble 17, double 12 is not quite so straightforward.

Bad example! It's obviously treble 39!

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On 2018\02\15 18:13, johnny-knowall wrote:
[...]

Double 12 = treble 8.
Treble 14 + treble 17 + treble 8 = treble 39.
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On 14/02/2018 11:29, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
johnny-knowall wrote:
On 14 Feb 2018, p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote
(in ):

Another triumph for conservatism. I wonder who's behind this brainwave.

Someone who has never heard of computers or calculators, so probably
Ye Olde
Rees Mogg.

I used to think there was an assumption that kids are better off
learning to use calculators these days, but our lad regularly has times
tables excercises in his homework (and we certainly didn't have homework
from the age of 5 when I was a lad), to be tested the week after.
Trouble is, by the time he's got to 12 (again), he's forgotten the 7. To
my mind, a national test most likely has the purpose of identifying
schools that make little effort to teach tables, when compared to the
average; IOW, that they are sticking to the curriculum.Â* Schools will
already know, I think, which children have parents that are not equipped
or motivated to do those elements of teaching that are expected to be
done at home.Â* Childhood isn't what it used to be.

You can't make proper informed use of a calculator unless you have an
idea of roughly what the outcome should be anyway.

For instance, if you press a button twice or omit a character, your
answer will be out by a factor of 10. If you can't recognise that when
you see it, you may decide that the incorrect result is, in fact, correct.

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

johnny-knowall wrote:
[...]

I remember at uni-level maths, one of the first things discussed was how
to quickly estimate (if only to the nearest order of magnitude) what a
solution might look like. It seemed obvious to me at the time, but I am
still surprised at how often even educated people fail to spot what
ought to be glaring errors.
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk
Joe Joe is offline

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 12:11:39 +0000
"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote:

JNugent wrote:

You can't make proper informed use of a calculator unless you have
an idea of roughly what the outcome should be anyway.

For instance, if you press a button twice or omit a character, your
answer will be out by a factor of 10. If you can't recognise that
when you see it, you may decide that the incorrect result is, in
fact, correct.

I remember at uni-level maths, one of the first things discussed was
how to quickly estimate (if only to the nearest order of magnitude)
what a solution might look like. It seemed obvious to me at the
time, but I am still surprised at how often even educated people fail
to spot what ought to be glaring errors.

This was not an optional skill if you used a slide rule, and most
engineers did. I recall seeing one of the first Sinclair Executives
while at university, and I bought a do-it-yourself Cambridge soon after
that. But it ate batteries...

--
Joe

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote:

JNugent wrote:

[...]

I do have a slide rule, but never had to use it much. I still have my
old log books, too. I remember a few of the rich kids at the school (a
grammar school, so an interesting mixture of scruffy kids like me, and
rich kids) had the Sinclair calculators, and we'd have fun getting them
to display ShELLOIL and ESSOOIL. First computer I saw was just an open
board with a numeric display. After hours of typing in hex digits,
you'd be able to enjoy that game where you have to stop an imaginary
craft crashing into the ground as you use fuel to slow its descent.
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On 02/16/2018 05:11 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I remember at uni-level maths, one of the first things discussed was how
to quickly estimate (if only to the nearest order of magnitude) what a
solution might look like. It seemed obvious to me at the time, but I am
still surprised at how often even educated people fail to spot what
ought to be glaring errors.

Back in the slide rule days a reality check was necessary.
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On 02/16/2018 05:37 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I do have a slide rule, but never had to use it much. I still have my
old log books, too. I remember a few of the rich kids at the school (a
grammar school, so an interesting mixture of scruffy kids like me, and
rich kids) had the Sinclair calculators, and we'd have fun getting them
to display ShELLOIL and ESSOOIL.

In college the ultimate status symbol was a Keuffel & Esser slide rule
with the optional magnifying cursor carried on your belt in a leather
sheath.

Personally, I had a $1.50 plastic 'Accu-math' with just the C, D, and CI
scales. Periodic rubbing with a #2 drafting pencil kept the slide
sliding. I got the same answers as the $30 models.

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2018 05:37 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I do have a slide rule, but never had to use it much. I still have my
old log books, too. I remember a few of the rich kids at the school (a
grammar school, so an interesting mixture of scruffy kids like me, and
rich kids) had the Sinclair calculators, and we'd have fun getting them
to display ShELLOIL and ESSOOIL.

In college the ultimate status symbol was a Keuffel & Esser slide rule
with the optional magnifying cursor carried on your belt in a leather
sheath.

Personally, I had a $1.50 plastic 'Accu-math' with just the C, D, and CI
scales. Periodic rubbing with a #2 drafting pencil kept the slide
sliding. I got the same answers as the $30 models.

I have a British Thornton one here in the drawer next to me :-) Right
next to my Flexicurve and my ICL flowchart template. On a nearby shelf
is Macmillan's 'Logarithmic and other tables for schools' by F. Castle.
I could never bring myself to throw these things away :-)
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote:

JNugent wrote:

[...]

Happy memories. ....

I built, and still have, the Sinclair Scientific I built while at school.

The way the display 'died' while it calculated was unnerving.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 9:11:28 AM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2018 05:37 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I do have a slide rule, but never had to use it much. I still have my
old log books, too. I remember a few of the rich kids at the school (a
grammar school, so an interesting mixture of scruffy kids like me, and
rich kids) had the Sinclair calculators, and we'd have fun getting them
to display ShELLOIL and ESSOOIL.

In college the ultimate status symbol was a Keuffel & Esser slide rule
with the optional magnifying cursor carried on your belt in a leather
sheath.

Personally, I had a $1.50 plastic 'Accu-math' with just the C, D, and CI
scales. Periodic rubbing with a #2 drafting pencil kept the slide
sliding. I got the same answers as the $30 models.

When I was in college I had a K&E slide rule hanging from my belt. I was out of college when I met college students who had $700.00 to purchase an HP or TI calculator with the tiny little red LED dot display. What I own now was science fiction back then. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Vintage Monster
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 15:47:25 +0000, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:

rbowman wrote:
[...]

complete with pics of straight and circular slide rules
http://www.abelard.org/sums/teaching..._down_logs.php

--
www.abelard.org
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/18 8:34 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

On my first professional job back in the day, the boss ordered a large
10 key desk calculator with a lighted display from one of the big
"electronics" companies for about that same amount of money.

It was delivered a few days later by an A+ brunette sales babe wearing a
tight short skirt and tight sweater who gave a demonstration to the
department on how to use it's several features. You can tell what I
mainly remember from the meeting;-)

--
If people, who cross our border illegally are not Illegal€” then what are
they?

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

wrote:

rbowman wrote:
[...]

I'm spending the week in Austria. Trying to ski. I'll have a look next
week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 10:08:55 AM UTC-6, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]

When I was a kid, my father worked in an office building with a bunch of other engineers in the engineering department for a steel mill. I remember the big old mechanical calculating machine on his desk that made all the wonderful clicking and clacking noises as the intricate gears and dials did their thing. I was well into adulthood before the huge old mechanical NCR cash registers started fading away. I kind of miss all the mechanical noise of everyday objects that surrounded me when I was a kid. Everything those big old machines did when I was a youngster can now be done by a device that fits in the palm of your hand. I must be a Luddite because I still don't own a smartass phone. I wonder if there's an app for that? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Mechanical Monster
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

wrote:

rbowman wrote:
[...]

==

We will expect some pics

Enjoy)

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk
Phi Phi is offline

wrote:

rbowman wrote:
[...]

These have gone up in price since the sixties:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/25333530326...4198600&crdt=0

Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk

On 2018\02\18 09:17, Phi wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message

wrote:

rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2018 05:37 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I do have a slide rule, but never had to use it much.Â* I still
have my
old log books, too.Â* I remember a few of the rich kids at the
school (a
grammar school, so an interesting mixture of scruffy kids like me,
and
rich kids) had the Sinclair calculators, and we'd have fun getting
them
to display ShELLOIL and ESSOOIL.

In college the ultimate status symbol was a Keuffel & Esser slide rule
with the optional magnifying cursor carried on your belt in a leather
sheath.

Personally, I had a $1.50 plastic 'Accu-math' with just the C, D,
and CI
scales. Periodic rubbing with a #2 drafting pencil kept the slide
sliding. I got the same answers as the $30 models.

I have a British Thornton one here in the drawer next to me :-)Â* Right
next to my Flexicurve and my ICL flowchart template.Â* On a nearby shelf
is Macmillan's 'Logarithmic and other tables for schools' by F. Castle.
I could never bring myself to throw these things away :-)

complete with pics of straight and circular slide rules
http://www.abelard.org/sums/teaching..._down_logs.php

I'm spending the week in Austria.Â* Trying to ski.Â* I'll have a look next
week.
==

We will expect some pics

Enjoy)

These have gone up in price since the sixties:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/25333530326...4198600&crdt=0

Bunch of cheapskates! Splash out on one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CURTA-1-c...4383.l4275.c10

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/18 2:28 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I spent hours and hours in a college statistics lab hunched over a
20 pound Friden mechanical calculator- 10 columns of keys with 10 keys
from 1 to 0 in each column and lotsa little windows in the long top
carriage where the result numbers appeared.

There were about a dozen machines in the lab and if more than two or
three were being used, you could hear the clatter two halls over.

--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 8:04:13 AM UTC-6, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]

During 1967-70, I got to play with an IBM System/360 Model 50 RAX system that was at The University of Alabama. They called it RAX for "Remote Access" because there were terminals all around campus in places like the dorms. I had boxes of paper punch cards to run my Fortran IV programs with. Dang it if computers weren't more fun back then. Punch cards and slide rulers helped put a man on the Moon. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Computerized Monster