Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermometers: What's the Problem with Accuracy?

On 2/6/2018 9:52 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Art Todesco:
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/la...a-elwifitp.htm

That thing is starting to call out to me.

Do you just close the refrigerator door on the wire?

Or did the refrigerator need a hole drilled in it for the wire?

The wire is pretty thin, so I put a piece of clear packing tape on each
side, inside and outside, but not where the door gasket closes on it.
That holds the wire pretty flat and the gasket takes care of the rest.
I just got a notification from the filesthrutheair.com guys that they
are changing their human interface. The original one was ok, but could
have used some improvement. The new one has yet to be released.

I bought this thing after having problems with a Whirlpool fridge
(actually made by Samsung ... I didn't know that at the time) that shut
down while I was on vacation. There was no visual indication on the
unit as my friend that came in and checked the house, might have seen
it. Whirlpool, after much yelling an screaming by me, actually bought
back the fridge. So I went and bought a Samsung. Little did I know
that the Whirlpool was a Samsung inside. The Samsung shut down one day
just after dinner. We were putting things away and my wife said that
the lights inside the fridge were not on. Not only that, the temps were
rising. And, the display temps made no sense. The display on the
fridge was at 55 and the freezer was at something like -30. I did the
"cntl-alt-del" Microsoft thing and powered it down. After the "required
30 seconds" I powered it back up and all was fine. This makes no sense
to me. I worked in fault tolerant processors for over 25 years and our
processors had all kinds of safeguards to prevent such a thing. A
fridge should be designed that way, or should not have microprocessors
controlling the critical parts. It was probably designed by some new
engineer out of college. Ok, I'll go take a blood pressure pill and
chill out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/07/2018 12:39 AM, Bod wrote:
On 07/02/2018 04:03, rbowman wrote:
On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 21:48:43 -0000, wrote:

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 12:15:36 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 02/06/2018 09:11 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

0723

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some times)
%000111010011.

?

I am a hex guy. We would say x'01D3' for that binary string.
Cindy's notation looks like octal to me.
Binary is always going to be binary tho.
BCD anyone? ;-)
That is 6 bit code plus a parity bit hence 7 track tape drives.

I get the feeling some people in this group are quite old.

We built the world you're living in. Your turn to screw it up.

I think you'll find that it was Britain's industrial revolution that did
that.

Only in the Steampunk universe. All Britain built was dark satanic mills.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/06/2018 09:11 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

0723

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some
times)
%000111010011.

?

I am a hex guy. We would say x'01D3' for that binary string.
Cindy's notation looks like octal to me.
Binary is always going to be binary tho.
BCD anyone? ;-)
That is 6 bit code plus a parity bit hence 7 track tape drives.

I get the feeling some people in this group are quite old.

We built the world you're living in. Your turn to screw it up.

I think you'll find that it was Britain's industrial revolution that
did that.

Industrial Revolution - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com
www.history.com/topics/industrial-revolution

The Industrial Revolution, which took place from the 18th to 19th
centuries, was a period during which predominantly agrarian, rural
societies in Europe and America became industrial and urban. Prior to
the Industrial Revolution, which *began in Britain* in the late 1700s,
manufacturing was often done in people's homes, ...

That was then, this is now. If you haven't noticed manufacturing is now
done in southeast Asia.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/06/2018 09:11 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

0723

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some times)
%000111010011.

?

I am a hex guy. We would say x'01D3' for that binary string.
Cindy's notation looks like octal to me.
Binary is always going to be binary tho.
BCD anyone? ;-)
That is 6 bit code plus a parity bit hence 7 track tape drives.

I get the feeling some people in this group are quite old.

They prolly have thermometers with binary/hex/octal/scientific notation displays too.

The best thermometer is the penis.

Could be a little tricky for candymaking.

No problem for Sword -- he's got the soft-ball stage down pat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And lots of railways. Many in India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_t..._Great_Britain
The railway system in Great Britain is the oldest in the world.
Wagonways were built in Britain in the 1560s and soon spread across the
country. The first locomotive-hauled public railway opened in 1825.

Also, Britain was the world's first underground railway. Opened in 1863.
--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/06/2018 09:11 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

I often use base 16.

Cindy Hamilton

0723

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some
times)
%000111010011.

?

I am a hex guy. We would say x'01D3' for that binary string.
Cindy's notation looks like octal to me.
Binary is always going to be binary tho.
BCD anyone? ;-)
That is 6 bit code plus a parity bit hence 7 track tape drives.

I get the feeling some people in this group are quite old.

We built the world you're living in. Your turn to screw it up.
*
*
I think you'll find that it was Britain's industrial revolution that
did that.

Industrial Revolution - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com
www.history.com/topics/industrial-revolution

The Industrial Revolution, which took place from the 18th to 19th
centuries, was a period during which predominantly agrarian, rural
societies in Europe and America became industrial and urban. Prior to
the Industrial Revolution, which *began in Britain* in the late 1700s,
manufacturing was often done in people's homes, ...

That was then, this is now. If you haven't noticed manufacturing is now
done in southeast Asia.

We gave the US lots of our secrets, like advanced Radar to encourage you
to help us in WW2.

A trunk full of Britain's WWII secrets saved the world | New York Post
https://nypost.com/2015/.../the-trun...ved-the-world/
27 Sep 2015 - By early 1940, Britain was bracing for assault, and
Tizard's colleague Archibald Hill, a Nobel Prize-winning biophysicist,
encouraged him to simply give America his secrets.

Invention of the Radar - Obstetric ultrasound
www.ob-ultrasound.net/radar.html
The first practical radar system was produced in 1935 by the British
physicist Sir Robert Watson-Watt, and by 1939 England had established a
chain of radar stations along its south and east coasts to detect
aggressors in the air or on the sea.
--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 07:48:04 +0000, Bod wrote:

I think you'll find that it was Britain's industrial revolution that did
that.

Industrial Revolution - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com
www.history.com/topics/industrial-revolution

The Industrial Revolution, which took place from the 18th to 19th
centuries, was a period during which predominantly agrarian, rural
societies in Europe and America became industrial and urban. Prior to
the Industrial Revolution, which *began in Britain* in the late 1700s,
manufacturing was often done in people's homes, ...

Yup you guys invented coal fires steam engines, we invented electric
motors, light bulbs, telephones and programmable computers.
We apologize for Microsoft, Apple and Facebook

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 03:45:26 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 8:44:13 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 01:04:02 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Sunday, February 4, 2018 at 3:29:56 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Sunday, February 4, 2018 at 2:52:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 17:54:48 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 04/02/2018 17:11, wrote:
On Sun, 04 Feb 2018 11:51:08 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I've been trying to buy four refrigerator/freezer thermometers and it's
frustrating how inaccurate/inconsistent they are.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/P...=2,40733,40734

As an aside, I'm surprised that the US is still using Fahrenheit instead
of the universal Centigrade.
There's only about 8 countries that still use F.

Fahrenheit remains the official scale for the following countries:

The Bahamas, Belize, the Cayman Islands, Palau and the United States and
associated territories (Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands).
Canada retains it as a supplementary scale that can be used alongside
Celsius.

We use what we are used to. OTOH Fahrenheit gives you about twice the
precision without resorting to decimals. I am comfortable with both
since my science friends are all C

I've never understood the "precision" argument. Does it matter whether
it's 70, 71, or 72 F ? I suppose 31, 32, and 33 F are more significant.

Cindy Hamilton

As far as human comfort goes, it's the humidity that counts. 72°F at 50% humidity is more comfortable 72°F at 90% humidity. I serviced and installed HVAC systems back when I was doing service work for businesses. I like 2 stage AC systems because they control humidity much better. The newest more advanced(more expensive) HVAC

systems are variable giving a more precise control of humidity. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Chilly Monster
[8~{} Uncle Humid Monster

Humidity really doesn't bother me at all. What is it with your wimps?

Try working outdoors at 32 C and 90% relative humidity and get back to us.

Cindy Hamilton

or 35
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 15:01:19 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/04/2018 11:03 PM, Bod wrote:

Understood, but C has become the universal standard.

You seem to feel the world revolves around the POTUS. Until the US
adopts Celsius it isn't universal. Don't hold your breath.

Stop using silly acronyms.

I always thought of "POTUS" that way.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them."
[Voltaire]
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Maybe you forgot to read between the lines.* I guess I shouldn't expect
Americans to understand the finer points of English.

We have way too much "creative reading" already.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

If you're doing something really scientific, you use Kelvin.* For
everyday use, best to stick to water and Celsius.* Not really useful to
say it's 273K today, it was 283K yesterday.* Meaningless.

Mostly true, but irrelevant to the idea that 0 (in both F and C) is
artificial.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them."
[Voltaire]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2018 11:14 PM, wrote:

[snip]

I can still speak Hollerith (punch card) and Baudot (paper tape). ;-)
If I think about it I can still do some morse but I sam digging deep.

Recently I wrote a program (for Arduino) that translated into Morse. It
was fun to get the translation table into 96 bytes.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them."
[Voltaire]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/07/2018 05:40 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[snip

It's Usenet. Most people on Usenet are pretty old. All of the
cool kids are elsewhere.

although some of those (trolls) on Usenet act like little kids.

Cindy Hamilton

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them."
[Voltaire]
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gay ****** Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 18:29:19 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I never learned touch typing, I just got used to it as i went. I can
type on a keyboard with no markings left on the keys. This confuses
others. Do you look at your gearstick (if you drive a stick shift) when
you change gear?

Give it a rest finally, you abnormal ****ed up attention whore! You are so
miserable and so full of the sense of your own inferiority that you need to
make up all your superhuman "capabilities" to compensate for being an utter
loser, failure and ******!

Even IF you were a so-called "idiot savant" (the thing you would like to
make everyone believe you are), you would still be an idiot ...and a ******!

Some of Birdbrain's superhuman physical "feats" (as told by the idiot
himself):

--
"I go hillwalking barefoot for hours in the snow, my feet just go red.
Extra blood, they can't freeze."

--
Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson") about himself:
"I can sleep outside in a temperature of -20C wearing only shorts".

--
"Having read the utter bull**** about dying if you fall in a freezing lake
for 15 minutes, I've tried it on many occasions. It takes 30 minutes to

--
"The alleged timing is, fall into ice water and die of cold in 15 minutes.
Do what I do, go swimming in winter in a partially frozen lake, and do so

--
"I've had my fingers unable to operate the key to unlock my car (after
swimming in ice water for a couple of hours and running around the mountains

--
"Your eyes have something called an iris, you can't damage them looking at
the sun. An eclipse is dimmer than the normal sun, so even safer. I never

--
Brain damaged Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) about himself:
"I prefer a good whack to the head with a breaker bar (the 3 foot extendable
--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic world:
"Most animals don't attack me, even though their owners tell me they're
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 18:32:34 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

We should have let the Nazis win. Just imagine a world without Jews.

The nazis EUTHANIZED idiots like you, Birdbrain!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 18:30:08 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

It's not necessary for 100% of people to be clever. Only a few jobs
require great skill. So just let people fall into the category they were
destined for.

But YOU are so stupid and mentally deficient that you STILL are an
unemployable ****** who can't hold down a job! You see, Birdbrain, even on
Usenet people can see what the matter is with you! BG

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange sociopathic
mind:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 18:28:11 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Your country is more backward than I thought. I hope Trump sorts it out a bit.

So why don't you dump their operating system that you obviously keep using
and use one made in Britain, you sociopathic piece of Scottish ****?

--
More details from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic
"life":
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 20:55:49 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

Try a summer vacation in Houston... Bring your Gold Bond Medicated
Powder so your balls don't rot.

I've been on holiday in anything from 15% to 95%.

What was the temperature? 20? 25?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 20:57:00 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

You really needed Trump.

Schools are run by states and local school boards. Trump really is not
involved.

Surely he has a lot of input. And I thought the UK had a complicated government....

The government here is based on the constitution. If they didn't think
it should be a federal issue in 1789, it still isn't now. Most of the
day to day is left to local government where your voice might actually
make a difference.
The federal governments contribution (in money) to our local school
board is 0.3%. I doubt anyone in DC is going to make them do too much
they don't want to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 20:58:58 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 05:10:11 -0000, wrote:

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 00:30:23 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 17:36:19 -0000, notX wrote:

[snip]

But it's stupidly designed. C is sensible: 0 is the freezing point of
water, 100 is boiling point, easy to understand. Why don't you also use
some weird base for maths, sorry math, instead of 10?

Note that in both systems, the 0-degree point is artificial. That is, it
is NOT the same as the temperature that corresponds to no heat. That
system is Kelvin. They use it with light bulbs

It's not artificial, it's calibrated to the most important substance to mankind, water. Why do you think a kilogram of water is a litre etc?

That is the most elegant thing in the metric system. The world does
still stick with the watt or joule and the relationship with calories
is pretty sloppy tho. I still see a lot of horsepower being used too.

Aren't Watts pretty damn metric? I can't remember how you define one.

Not really. A KWH is 860 420.65 calories. That a number that just
rolls off your tongue. It is 3600 kilo joules that is a little easier
to deal with nut nothing like 1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 21:02:34 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

I've never heard "loused up" before. Where does that come from?

WWI, It refers to being full of lice (Plural, louse), common in the
trenches. That is also where "cooties" came from.
Now it is just anything that seems screwed up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/07/2018 08:48 AM, Bod wrote:

We gave the US lots of our secrets, like advanced Radar to encourage you
to help us in WW2.

That's nice and all but it was German rocket engineers that put the US
into space. All the Brits knew about rockets was how to duck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/07/2018 08:29 AM, BurfordTJustice wrote:
That was then..WTF does Britain produce now that the world wants???

Marmite.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/07/2018 08:42 AM, Bod wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_t..._Great_Britain
The railway system in Great Britain is the oldest in the world.
Wagonways were built in Britain in the 1560s and soon spread across the
country. The first locomotive-hauled public railway opened in 1825.

And you're still using the originals tracks and rolling stock.

Also, Britain was the world's first underground railway. Opened in 1863.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_Railroad

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/07/2018 09:44 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Did it often over the years. Very common in our industry in the summer.
We did give extra breaks on the really nasty days.

I spent some quality time setting up plastic molding systems. You could
walk out of the factory into 35 C weather and think someone turned the
air conditioning on. It didn't help that most of the hydraulic valving
was on a catwalk up near the ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 03:52:54 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 17:36:19 -0000, notX wrote:

[snip]

But it's stupidly designed. C is sensible: 0 is the freezing point of
water, 100 is boiling point, easy to understand. Why don't you
also use
some weird base for maths, sorry math, instead of 10?

Note that in both systems, the 0-degree point is artificial. That
is, it
is NOT the same as the temperature that corresponds to no heat. That
system is Kelvin. They use it with light bulbs

It's not artificial, it's calibrated to the most important substance to
mankind, water. Why do you think a kilogram of water is a litre etc?

Nothing that came out of the French Revolution and the Age of
Enlightenment can be good.

Bull****, their weights and measures are very easy to use.

The had to be; they're French after all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Your country is more backward than I thought. I hope Trump sorts it out
a bit.

No, our country is very progressive; that's the frigging problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I never learned touch typing, I just got used to it as i went. I can
type on a keyboard with no markings left on the keys. This confuses
others. Do you look at your gearstick (if you drive a stick shift) when
you change gear?

--

No. Nor do I look at my fingers when I'm playing a guitar or flute.
Typing, however, was meant to be done by secretaries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We should have let the Nazis win. Just imagine a world without Jews.

The EU would be a hell of a lot more functional. Germany runs it anyway
but they can't invade Greece and kick ass when the peasants start to
grumble anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 04:38:43 -0000, rbowman wrote:

Humidity really doesn't bother me at all. What is it with your wimps?

Try a summer vacation in Houston... Bring your Gold Bond Medicated
Powder so your balls don't rot.

I've been on holiday in anything from 15% to 95%.

But not in Houston. Dallas sucks but it's a dry heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 04:42:08 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 15:01:19 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/04/2018 11:03 PM, Bod wrote:

Understood, but C has become the universal standard.

You seem to feel the world revolves around the POTUS. Until the US
adopts Celsius it isn't universal. Don't hold your breath.

Stop using silly acronyms.

Okay, going forward I'll always spell out United Kookery.

I just write Britain.

But that leaves out those knuckle-dragging Prods in the Six Counties.
Posted to alt.home.repair

hey liked it when I once finished a 2 hour assault course and managed to
lose the only skimpy thing I was wearing on a waterslide. It was the
middle of winter so it would have been minimum size. There were
electric fences above it and one caught my arm, making me jump and spin
round, going the rest of the way down head first on my back with no
control whatsoever. I landed in a muddy pool at the bottom, then
clambered out and climbed up a slope with a rope, not realising I was
exposing myself to the spectators. There was much screaming.

More likely hysterical laughter...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/02/2018 02:28, rbowman wrote:
On 02/07/2018 08:48 AM, Bod wrote:

We gave the US lots of our secrets, like advanced Radar to encourage you
to help us in WW2.

That's nice and all but it was German rocket engineers that put the US
into space. All the Brits knew about rockets was how to duck.

Not true.

We invented a hell of a lot:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...full-list.html

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/02/2018 02:33, rbowman wrote:
On 02/07/2018 08:42 AM, Bod wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_t..._Great_Britain
The railway system in Great Britain is the oldest in the world.
Wagonways were built in Britain in the 1560s and soon spread across the
country. The first locomotive-hauled public railway opened in 1825.

And you're still using the originals tracks and rolling stock.

Also, Britain was the world's first underground railway. Opened in 1863.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_Railroad

We're not bad at handling the world's finances:

*London Retains Its Crown as Worlds Top Financial Center*

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...it-survey-says

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowman, Birdbrain's senile whore!

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 19:55:41 -0700, lowbrowman, yet another endlessly
driveling senile idiot, blabbered again:

But not in Houston. Dallas sucks but it's a dry heat.

YOU suck troll's cock, lowbrowman, you senile oaf!