eggs

Default Catpoop in the sandpit

I know there has just been a thread about getting rid of cats that poop
in the yard, but I have a more difficult problem that I hope you can
help me solve. The neigbour's cat is pooping in the kids' sandpit.
Because the kids play in the sand, I can't use any hot pepper sprays, or
it will get the kids too. An additional problem is that I live in
Sydney, Australia, which is under strict water restrictions due to
drought, so spinkler systems are currently illegal. Beyond capturing
the cat and driving it many miles from home, I am stumped as to what to
do.

I'm thinking that I may need to attach some kind of physical deterrent
to the tops of my walls to prevent the cat entering my yard at all. I
have high (above head height) timber fences all around my yard. The cat
poops in my yard during the day (I cover the pit at night), but I can't
keep going out there and covering the pit every time one of the kids
comes inside to get a juice, or show me a boo boo or what the heck ever.
What to do?

Is there some kind of sticky substance I can put on top of the walls
that will hold the pepper, but won't come off if it rains? I don't want
to put spikes or anything up there that could be a hinderance to soemone
like the fire dept in an emergency.

Ideas, anyone?

eggs.

Joseph Meehan

eggs wrote:
[...]

Build a cover for the sand box.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Terry

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
eggs wrote:
I know there has just been a thread about getting rid of cats that
poop in the yard, but I have a more difficult problem that I hope you
can help me solve. The neigbour's cat is pooping in the kids'
sandpit. Because the kids play in the sand, I can't use any hot
pepper sprays, or it will get the kids too. An additional problem is
that I live in Sydney, Australia, which is under strict water
restrictions due to drought, so spinkler systems are currently
illegal. Beyond capturing the cat and driving it many miles from
home, I am stumped as to what to do.

Suggestion: Read somewhere that cats don't like the camphor smell of
mothballs?
Scatter a few in the sand box/pit and around, and try it?
Also we've had some success by frightening and chasing cats aggressively and
noisily away. They then learn to go somewhere else to do their business
where they are not chased and barked at by humans, who also throw things at
them such as jugs of water, bits of wood etc. Want to hear my imitation dog
bark? The whole point being to make as much noise at the cat as reasonable
the moment it comes into the 'wrong' area.
I heard of one guy who played recordings of barking dogs through an
extension speaker, placed in his back yard, from his stereo; don't know how
well it worked.
Terry in Canada.

Trenchrat

eggs wrote:
[...]

My neighbor just plays redneck music. THat does the trick.

CIVIL WAR 2004

Trenchrat

eggs wrote:
[...]

They arrest people where I live for shooting undercover cats with
airguns.

CIVIL WAR 2004

Suzie-Q

-
- I'm thinking that I may need to attach some kind of physical deterrent
- to the tops of my walls to prevent the cat entering my yard at all. I
- have high (above head height) timber fences all around my yard. The cat
- poops in my yard during the day (I cover the pit at night), but I can't
- keep going out there and covering the pit every time one of the kids
- comes inside to get a juice, or show me a boo boo or what the heck ever.
- What to do?
-
- Is there some kind of sticky substance I can put on top of the walls
- that will hold the pepper, but won't come off if it rains? I don't want
- to put spikes or anything up there that could be a hinderance to soemone
- like the fire dept in an emergency.
-
- Ideas, anyone?

I agree with the person who said "build a cover." Here in
the states if you buy a plastic sandbox it comes with a
cover for just this reason.

I've seen covers that are as simple as a frame with some
window screen. Or you could use plywood (or similar) if
you're handy with tools.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617
KB

"eggs" wrote in message ...
[...]

What you need to do is pour some household amonia on the wood
(provided it is wood) around the sand box. Otherwise, sprinkle the
amonmia around the ground near the edge. Cats hate this- it repels
them. THis can also be used in the flower beds etc. Blood meal can
have the same effect (get it at the garden store- its used as a
fertilizer and its inexpensive). I can almost guarantee the amonia
will work!

KB
Missouri, USA
Dan Hartung

Suzie-Q wrote:
I agree with the person who said "build a cover." Here in
the states if you buy a plastic sandbox it comes with a
cover for just this reason.

I've seen covers that are as simple as a frame with some
window screen. Or you could use plywood (or similar) if
you're handy with tools.

A cover can be as simple as a drag-off sheet of plywood, of course. I've
also seen prop-up varieties, where the cover also acts as a sun or wind
screen, but you probably don't want your kids under something like that
these days. (1970 was a different story!) The niftiest one I've seen was
counterbalanced like a bridge -- whatever position you tilted it to, it
would stay.

JerryMouse

eggs wrote:
[...]

Get the kids a new kind of sand shovel. This one has slits.

It can be found in the cat section of your local pet store.

Jeff Wisnia

eggs wrote:
[...]

I wonder why so many people will rush to offer answers which indicate
that either they didn't bother to read your whole post. Or, maybe
they're just language learning disabled and couldn't get the information
in the plain english in the second paragraph in your post. It clearly
indicated you *have* a cover and know how to use it, but can't expect
your little kids to put it on every time they leave the vicinity of the
sandpit.

I'm beginning to agree with the older educators here who keep telling us
how bad the illiteracy problem has gotten here in the USA. Thirty
percent of the people who replied to your post told you to "get a cover"
for your sandpit.

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"As long as there are exams in public schools there will be prayer in
public schools."

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:58:16 -0500, "JerryMouse"
wrote:

eggs wrote:
I know there has just been a thread about getting rid of cats that
poop in the yard, but I have a more difficult problem that I hope you
can help me solve. The neigbour's cat is pooping in the kids'
sandpit. Because the kids play in the sand, I can't use any hot

Take the cat for a LONG ride.

rj
eggs

eggs wrote:
I know there has just been a thread about getting rid of cats that
poop in the yard, but I have a more difficult problem that I hope

you
can help me solve. The neigbour's cat is pooping in the kids'
sandpit. Because the kids play in the sand, I can't use any hot
pepper sprays, or it will get the kids too. An additional problem

is
that I live in Sydney, Australia, which is under strict water
restrictions due to drought, so spinkler systems are currently
illegal. Beyond capturing the cat and driving it many miles from
home, I am stumped as to what to do.

Suggestion: Read somewhere that cats don't like the camphor smell of
mothballs?
Scatter a few in the sand box/pit and around, and try it?

Actually, there is a camphor laurel tree growing in the sandbox,so this
darned cat obviously doesn't care about the camphor smell. I would also
worry about the kids (3 & 2) eating them.

Also we've had some success by frightening and chasing cats

aggressively and
noisily away. They then learn to go somewhere else to do their

business

Yeah, I'm the regular shreiking shrew, but I was hoping to find a more
dignified way to do this! I've been yelling at that cat since the
neighbours moved in about 4 months ago, and it still keeps coming back.
Maybe I could rub some of those mothballs along the top of the fence?
They are waxy and mightstick ...

thanks,
eggs.

eggs

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
In article ,
"eggs" wrote:

I agree with the person who said "build a cover." Here in
the states if you buy a plastic sandbox it comes with a
cover for just this reason.

I've seen covers that are as simple as a frame with some
window screen. Or you could use plywood (or similar) if
you're handy with tools.
--

I have a cover for it that I put on in the late afternoon when the kids
are finished for the day, but the cat gets in there during the day. We

thanks,
eggs.

eggs

"JerryMouse" wrote in message
eggs wrote:

Ideas, anyone?

Get the kids a new kind of sand shovel. This one has slits.

It can be found in the cat section of your local pet store.

They already do this. "Look Mum!! I found cat poop!!" as they run into
the house clutching it in their little hands. It is actually the kids
handling it that I want to avoid.

Thanks anyway,
eggs.

eggs

"bitzah" wrote in message
s.com...
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 06:56:41 GMT, "eggs"
wrote:

I'm thinking that I may need to attach some kind of physical

deterrent
to the tops of my walls to prevent the cat entering my yard at all.

xxxx

G'day eggs U have answered your own question maaaaate !
The only thing left is "What kind of deterrent??"
Simple,, Eee-Lect-Tris-IT-Tee.
Works a dream, guaranteed !

snip excellent description on how to electrify cats

I am not interested in frying the cat. Well, that's a lie, I *am*
interested in frying the cat, but don't really want to set up a visible
cat frying apparatus. I'm going to try the amonia suggestion and
mothballs on the fence, but if they don't work I will probably rent a
cage from the city to trap my problem and, if tagged, take the cat back
to the neigbours and show them the evidence of my problem. If that
doesn't solve the problem, then I guess I'll have to hand the cat back
over to the city whith the cage.

These neighbours are 3 doors down and are not "eye contact" neighbours,
even though we have tried to be "Hi there!" friendly since they have
moved in. They have a large labrador and a cat in a small two bedroom
row house with a heavily overgrown yard (no outdoors space), so maybe
the cat is heading to our yard to escape the dog? Don't know.Anyways

thanks for the informative post!

eggs.

Jim Yanik

"eggs" wrote in news:uFfLc.9393$K53.8865@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
In article ,
"eggs" wrote:

I agree with the person who said "build a cover." Here in
the states if you buy a plastic sandbox it comes with a
cover for just this reason.

I've seen covers that are as simple as a frame with some
window screen. Or you could use plywood (or similar) if
you're handy with tools.
--

I have a cover for it that I put on in the late afternoon when the kids
are finished for the day, but the cat gets in there during the day. We
right in the city, so our yard is small and the kids play in the pit on
and off all day - it is a big pit, maybe 6X6. It is a pain to pull the
cover on and off 10 times a day. I guess I'll just have to suck it up
and start doing it.

thanks,
eggs.

Build a remote controlled cover!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
default

Build a remote controlled cover!

Why screw around? Build a screenhouse around/over
the thing. Use the screenhouse to prop up your
grape arbor.

ken

Build a remote control dog?

Have the same prob with the rototillered backyard garden.....every
morning I get up and survey the entire yard for new "additions" as our
spoiled "I get to live inside with the humans" dog (for some unknown
reason) will eat it....UCK

Funny story..about a month ago I hear a noise out back around 9-10 PM,
look n see a dark shape on the fence near the birdfeeder/birdbath, so I
check it out and see a large possum having a drink AND a cat about 5
feet away, just watching it.....No doubt thinking "That is the biggest
f**king mouse I've ever seen!"
When our dog sees all this, she goes totally ape ****

Philip Lewis

Here is an idea i havn't seen suggested...
How about a large screenhouse over the pit?
They aren't that expensive and would provide the kids a bit of shade
as well...

--
be safe.
flip

Bert

Philip Lewis wrote:
Here is an idea i havn't seen suggested...
How about a large screenhouse over the pit?
They aren't that expensive and would provide the kids a bit of shade
as well...

As kids we always just tossed most of it into the neighbors yard
ourselves, but always saved one or two turds in a corner of the sandbox,
in case any girls come by, then someone would use the shovel to throw it
at them!

We never involved our parents.......

Bert

Bert.

MikeB

Bert wrote in message igy.com...
Philip Lewis wrote:
Here is an idea i havn't seen suggested...
How about a large screenhouse over the pit?
They aren't that expensive and would provide the kids a bit of shade
as well...

As kids we always just tossed most of it into the neighbors yard
ourselves, but always saved one or two turds in a corner of the sandbox,
in case any girls come by, then someone would use the shovel to throw it
at them!

We never involved our parents.......

Bert

Wow, We also did that!

I basically still do the same thing today, but now it is tossing the
dog crap over the fence before cutting the grass.

Why don't you just teach the kids to fling it out on their own?

Dealing with crap is no big deal & is something all of us have to
learn to deal with eventually........

MikeB
JoKing

A very effective method is one of those motion detector sprinklers. Turn it
on and it will spray anything that moves in front of it. Turn it off when
the kids are playing. It can also be moved to keep animals out of the
garden, or wild geese out of the pond. It doesn't use that much water
either.

"eggs" wrote in message
[...]

Claudia

I second the scarecrow motion activated sprinkler.

But also since your fence is so high - then how about fruit tree netting,
which almost invisible and cats hate it. string it from post to post and
the kids for sure can play under it easily - taller adults may have to
remember to not walk straight up. ;-(
__________________________
Totus Tuus
Claudia Satori

Cindy

Here is something a neighbor down the street once did to keep cats out
of her yard that might work for your catpoop in the sandbox problem.
It is sadistic, possibly illegal, and cruel -- but, according to my
neighbor, highly effective. She has a beautiful garden but had to
continually buy new flowers because cats kept eating the blooms off,
often on the very next morning after she planted them. The cat
owners refused to either replace her flowers or control their cats.
After replacing entire beds of expensive flowers several times, she
finally got so mad that she declared war on the cats and nailed those
carpet strips with tacks sticking up on them to the top of her fence.
Presto, no more eaten off flowers. The cats hurt their feet when
trying to hop over to her yard and got the idea that her yard was off
limits. The owner of the cats immediately started to control her cats
better, also. My neighbor swears by this method. It sounds like your
fence is high enough that your kids won't accidently puncture
themselves on the tacks if you try this approach to keep cats from
pooping in your kids' sandbox. You might want to warn the cat owner
ahead of time that you're doing it and that she better keep her cats
away or they will puncture their paws on the tacks. Also, be prepared
to have her think you're a monster and possibly never speak to you
again.

"eggs" wrote in message
[...]

Eish@mapants

Great idea, moron.

Better be prepared for the vet bills and other lawsuits when kitty gets
home with a ripped-out gut.

Also, you obviously know squat about cats - "the owner of the cats
immediately started to control her cats better" ??? How, by locking them in
a box?

Please, think before you post.

The motion-detector sprinkler is the best answer.

(Cindy) wrote in
m:

[...]

"JoKing" wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com.
..

"eggs" wrote in message
[...]

On 18 Aug 2004 23:03:15 GMT, "Eish@mapants"
wrote:

Great idea, moron.

No, I agree with Cindy on this one: her neighbor wouldn't cooperate,
so she had to take drastic measures. I happen to have 2 cats myself,
and I keep both indoors, but I totally sympathize with the cat poop
and destruction problem. Dogs aren't an issue because my yard is
fenced in.

Better be prepared for the vet bills and other lawsuits when kitty gets
home with a ripped-out gut.

Also, you obviously know squat about cats - "the owner of the cats
immediately started to control her cats better" ??? How, by locking them in
a box?

Please, think before you post.

The motion-detector sprinkler is the best answer.

(Cindy) wrote in
om:

[...]

"JoKing" wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com.
..

"eggs" wrote in message
[...]

SteveB

"Eish@mapants" wrote in message
Great idea, moron.

Better be prepared for the vet bills and other lawsuits when kitty gets
home with a ripped-out gut.

Also, you obviously know squat about cats - "the owner of the cats
immediately started to control her cats better" ??? How, by locking them

in
a box?

Please, think before you post.

The motion-detector sprinkler is the best answer.

I, personally, prefer the Fi-Shock. It is very entertaining when the cats
hit it, and then when they hit it again going back over the wall how many
times it takes them to go back over the wall. Of course, a little help with
a garden hose helps to get them started on that one last leap out of your
yard.

Forever. They will never come back into your yard.

BTW, I like cats and own one. But not when they belong to others, and they
can't control them.

Steve

HA HA Budys Here

I've never known any kind of cat to ever eat flowers. Blades of grass, yes. But
flowers? Cats are meat eaters, dogs are vegetarians.
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply

HA HA Budys Here wrote:

I've never known any kind of cat to ever eat flowers. Blades of grass, yes. But
flowers? Cats are meat eaters, dogs are vegetarians.

My first cat would head for ANY vegetation in the house. She absolutely
ADORED flowers. Don't ask me why.

--
Where no oxen are, the crib is clean,
But much benefit is derived from the labor of the ox.
Box134

That's the usual bull**** from cat-haters. The cat tearing up trees and
creating all kinds of havoc.... animals that weigh maybe 10 pounds on
average, destroying neighborhoods, if you believe them. Our cats like to nip
the ends of grass blades, which they do very daintily. If they ate more than
a few grams in a season I'd be surprised.