abacus

Default Repairing a small crack in poured basement

I have a small crack in our poured concrete basement. It is seeping
water, but it's close to our sump pump and the water leakage is not a
problem - yet. However, I am concerned that if I don't get it
repaired before winter, water will freeze in it, causing the crack to
enlarge.

I have a basement repair contractor coming later this month to give an
opinion and estimate, but I'd really like to get educated myself
first. My somewhat cynical spouse insists that he will just try to
sell us an expensive excavation-type repair job. We can't afford that
at this time, nor does it seem necessary since it's not currently a
serious problem.

I purchased a tube of quickrete concrete repair to seal the crack, but
apparently it needs to be injected into the crack. However the crack
is basically just a hairline crack, and I can't do that without
enlarging the crack first. To this not-so-handy person, that doesn't
seem like a swell idea, especially since that's what I'm trying to
avoid.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Art

New house? Old house? The right fix is to get the water away from the
outside basement walls. In the meantime you can try hydraulic cement such
as Dam-it. Works for a while even when water coming thru if you can get it
into the crack. But fill that crack and water may just find another way in.
Like I said the right way is to get water away from outside foundation. By
the way, how often does the sump pump run. And is this just a particularly
wet year for your area?

"abacus" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Mark Leininger

I had several small cracks filled by a company that did a great job.
They drill diagonal holes through the crack and then install fittings
that look like grease fittings into the hole. They inject water into the
fitting until it weeps out along the crack, then inject some kind of
water reactive epoxy that follows the water through the crack. He
troweled the epoxy stuff smooth against the wall after he was finished.
You can see where it was patched, but it's not bad looking. Haven't had
a drop since. Charged me $200 to do 3 cracks, total length probably 10
feet or so.

I agree that getting rid of the water source is important, but there
will always be some hydraulic pressure against your house when rain
conditions are right.

abacus wrote:

[...]

m Ransley

Check and fix outside drainage of gutters , grading, downspouts etc
How is it going to freeze, it wont. But you should drill a hole in
the sump pit to relieve pressure on the ground and pump out water.

Art

I would think that the sump pit has perforated drainage pipe attached to it
that goes around the inside perimeter of the basement floor. Or at least it
should. If he drills another hole it better be near the top of the pit.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Check and fix outside drainage of gutters , grading, downspouts etc
How is it going to freeze, it wont. But you should drill a hole in
the sump pit to relieve pressure on the ground and pump out water.

abacus

"Art" wrote in message link.net...
New house? Old house? The right fix is to get the water away from the
outside basement walls. In the meantime you can try hydraulic cement such
as Dam-it. Works for a while even when water coming thru if you can get it
into the crack. But fill that crack and water may just find another way in.
Like I said the right way is to get water away from outside foundation. By
the way, how often does the sump pump run. And is this just a particularly
wet year for your area?

We bought the house new 18 years ago. The sump pump runs fairly
frequently when it's rainy. We had to replace it for the first time
last summer. This has been a particularly wet year, but IMO the root
cause is a change in the neighborhood drainage system a few years ago.
I know of 2 or 3 nearby houses that have had to had expensive
foundation repairs since then. Used to be no matter how hard it
rained, we never got major puddles or overflow in the street. Now we
do with even a moderate rain.

Thanks for the help.

"abacus" wrote in message
om...
[...]

abacus

Mark Leininger wrote in message ...
I had several small cracks filled by a company that did a great job.
They drill diagonal holes through the crack and then install fittings
that look like grease fittings into the hole. They inject water into the
fitting until it weeps out along the crack, then inject some kind of
water reactive epoxy that follows the water through the crack. He
troweled the epoxy stuff smooth against the wall after he was finished.
You can see where it was patched, but it's not bad looking. Haven't had
a drop since. Charged me $200 to do 3 cracks, total length probably 10
feet or so.

I agree that getting rid of the water source is important, but there
will always be some hydraulic pressure against your house when rain
conditions are right.

Thanks. I'll look into that.