Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Default Have you ever heard this noise in an engine after a VCG repair?

replying to Arthur Wood, Iggy wrote:
None of the links worked for me and my fiddling around with them. But, if it's
sounding like something's loose and damaging everything in its path, then
you'll have to get back in and re-do your valve cover work. Maybe a 3/8's to
1/4 ratchet reducer, short extension, hex bit, rolled-up tube of Threadlocker,
etc. got left behind. Even though it's a BMW, I can't imagine you accidently
and unknowingly created a problem...unless your valve cover work included
removing the PCV or slopping in RTV that clogged venting and the sound is
pressure blowing the seals.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...a-1152886-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 11:14:09 AM UTC-5, Iggy wrote:
replying to Arthur Wood, Iggy wrote:
None of the links worked for me and my fiddling around with them. But, if it's
sounding like something's loose and damaging everything in its path, then
you'll have to get back in and re-do your valve cover work. Maybe a 3/8's to
1/4 ratchet reducer, short extension, hex bit, rolled-up tube of Threadlocker,
etc. got left behind. Even though it's a BMW, I can't imagine you accidently
and unknowingly created a problem...unless your valve cover work included
removing the PCV or slopping in RTV that clogged venting and the sound is
pressure blowing the seals.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...a-1152886-.htm

I listened to it and it ain't any seals blowing. It's a rattle/knocking
sound, like a bolt, socket, nut, etc was left in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Iggy wrote:

None of the links worked for me

What platform are you on?

Some Macintosh users wrote to me in the web forum PM system saying they
couldn't change the name of the file.mp4.pdf back to the original file.mp4
name.

I don't know how to tell you how to do that on the Macintosh but I did just
now ask on the Macintosh groups.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.sys.mac.apps

Are you on a Macintosh?

Hopefully the answer will be in this thread if someone knows the Macintosh.
Can a Macintosh person tell us how to change the name of a file?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.mac.apps/lvUtrehWuQw/59E76aWxCQAJ
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Arthur Wood wrote:

Are you on a Macintosh?

Hopefully the answer will be in this thread if someone knows the Macintosh.
Can a Macintosh person tell us how to change the name of a file?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.mac.apps/lvUtrehWuQw/59E76aWxCQAJ

It seems from my PMs on the web forum that the Macintosh users are having
trouble renaming the file to remove the ".pdf" extension so I asked on
comp.sys.mac.apps how Macintosh users can change the file name from
file.mp4.pdf to file.mp4 so they can watch the video.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.mac.apps/lvUtrehWuQw

Here are some of the responses if you're on a Macintosh and need to change
the file name from file.mp4.pdf to file.mp4 instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Streater
Can
a Macintosh person tell us how to change the name of a file?

Yes. Same way as on Windows.
Click on the filename until it highlights and then type the new name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Baker
On a Mac, you select the file, and hit Return. That activates the file
name for editing. When you remove '.pdf' from the name and hit Return
again, the Finder will ask if you really want to change the file name
extension and offer you the option of using '.mp4' or '.pdf'.

If the file name extensions are hidden, then you can use "Get Info" from
the Finder's File menu to do it instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_G._Isaak
Tell the Macintosh users to go to Finder-Preferences-Advanced and make
sure 'show all filename extensions' is checked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Arthur Wood, Iggy wrote:
Just Internet Explorer 11 on a real and secured PC. Don't worry about it,
trader_4 says its definitely a chunky foreign contaminant. You'll have to take
it apart again or have it towed to the shop.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...a-1152886-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you changed something that controls ignition action?
Like, something is changing the spark timing and it is now
far
too advanced? Spark knock? Maybe? hmmm....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phil Kangas wrote:

Perhaps you changed something that controls ignition action?
Like, something is changing the spark timing and it is now
far too advanced? Spark knock? Maybe? hmmm....

I hadn't thought of that, where I did recently install the BMW dealer
software of the era when my car was new called INPA which allows me to read
all the electronic control units and reset the codes for all modules (not
just OBDII modules):
https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/36851946/inpa1.jpg.html

Some of this BMW dealer software can also program each module but I didn't
run any of that, and it can reset something called the "adaptations",
again, which I didn't touch to my knowledge.

I should be able to get the spark advance out of the dealer software though
https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/36851948/lean1.jpg.html

My OBDII reader shows spark at 6 degrees advanced at idle and then it jumps
to 20 and 30 degrees in the live data as I drove - where I don't actually
know what it's supposed to be. I don't even know where that data is.
https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/36851949/lean2.jpg.html

I have heard spark knock before where it sounds like marbles under load.
This doesn't sound like marbles. It sounds more like one marble.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 2:05:01 AM UTC-5, Arthur Wood wrote:
Phil Kangas wrote:

Perhaps you changed something that controls ignition action?
Like, something is changing the spark timing and it is now
far too advanced? Spark knock? Maybe? hmmm....

I hadn't thought of that, where I did recently install the BMW dealer
software of the era when my car was new called INPA which allows me to read
all the electronic control units and reset the codes for all modules (not
just OBDII modules):

This is getting confusing. Did you change anything with the BMW software? Did you even hook a PC up to the car while doing the vcg? If not, then this is a rat hole.

https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/36851946/inpa1.jpg.html

Some of this BMW dealer software can also program each module but I didn't
run any of that, and it can reset something called the "adaptations",
again, which I didn't touch to my knowledge.

I should be able to get the spark advance out of the dealer software though
https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/36851948/lean1.jpg.html

My OBDII reader shows spark at 6 degrees advanced at idle and then it jumps
to 20 and 30 degrees in the live data as I drove - where I don't actually
know what it's supposed to be. I don't even know where that data is.

Are you saying you drove the car now with the noise?