Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hardwood floor finish not applied under DW or fridge

On Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 7:38:36 AM UTC-6, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Aug 18, 8:55Â*am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 8/18/2010 7:01 AM, BobC wrote:

We just had our hardwood floors finished and while inspecting the work I
noticed:
a)that the polyurethane stopped just in front of the dishwasher and the
refrigerator. In other words, the two appliances are sitting over unsanded,
bare wood (this is a new oak floor that replaces many layers of old
vinyl).
b) two wood thresholds, bridging bathroom tile floors and hardwood
hallways, have uncoated areas on the bathroom side, where they meet the
flor.
Â* Â* Q: These are places likely to get pretty wet, and I think they should be
fully coated, or am I being finicky?
c)unlike the floors, which have a smooth finish, the staircase threads are
quite rough and appear to have received fewer finish coats.
Â* Â* Q: would this be on purpose, to make them less slippery?
Many thanks.

_________________________
Message Â*sent throughhttp://www.BetterHomePortal.com

My question would be why were the appliances in there before the floor
was done? Â*You don't really expect the floor guys to "uninstall" a
dishwasher do you? Â*And where would they move the frige to? Â*They are
not equipped to move a frige.

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

Both of those appliances basically just slide out. There may be a
couple screws at the top of the dishwasher and the fridge probably has
something behind the bottom grill to "lower" the front wheels. The
floor guys will br familiar with both. You clearly don't know what
you are talking about. It's common to install finished level floor
under both of them because they are difficult to r&r if they are
sittting below floor level. No doubt the floorer put them back to
make it easier to finish the exposed floor. He didn't want to wait
for the poly to dry so he didn't put any under them. He's trying to
maximize the work he can do in a day and minimize the number of
visits. His other option would have been to move the appliances
completely off the new floor and that was probably a pain as well.

I am a foreman for a flooring company. Flooring companies are are not insured to move appliances, or disconnect gas lines or pluming. If we try to do that, and something goes wrong, such as a gas or water leak, or damage to the appliances, that would have to be paid for out of pocket, and it isn't worth the liability risk. It is important to have the appliances out of the way before the floor refinishers get there for this reason. Please stop feeding people false information when you don't know what you are talking about.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/18/2010 7:01 AM, BobC wrote:

[...]

You're too late. 7 years ago jamesgangnc was abducted by giant mutant gerbils from outer space. The Air Force was unable to catch the mutant gerbils flying saucer and jamesgangnc was never returned. It's feared that he died when one of the outer space gerbils attempted to mate with him. It was a real tragedy. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Space Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2017 1:28 AM, wrote:

[...]

I sort of agree, but it was still a hack job. The appliances evidently
were out of the way to install the floor. Those spots should have had
finish applied before they were put back. If you look at the original
post, spots were missed on a bathroom threshold too. Sounds like shoddy
work.

The question is, sho put the appliances back? Homeowner may have been
part of it but the flooring guy should have contacted them before doing
a crap job. As a foreman, what would your company have done?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 9:37:32 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/12/2017 1:28 AM, wrote:

[...]

+1

And what did the contract say? I can move my own appliances, but for sure
if you're a flooring company and you refuse to do so, you're going to lose
business to competitors who do, even if they charge a bit more, with
customers who can't or won't move the appliances themselves.

hardwood floor finish not applied under DW or fridge RES Home Repair 1 August 20th 10 10:44 PM
hardwood floor finish not applied under DW or fridge RicodJour Home Repair 0 August 18th 10 04:47 PM
Putting hardwood floor on top of hardwood floor CompleteNewb Home Repair 6 October 19th 07 03:52 PM
Lathe applied finish Dick Woodturning 18 February 19th 07 01:30 PM
Should finish be applied or not? Doug Woodworking 0 February 27th 05 03:20 PM