Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to dispose of your tools, and books, when no one you know well wants them.

For people expecting to die who have heirs for their money, but no one
in their family or friends who wants their books or their tools or
their office supplies**, what do you plan to do? .. In my case, partly
because most of the people I know are old and my niblings don't live
nearby and are two generations younger than I am with different
interests.

**Don't knock office supplies. My desk is full of good things. How
many of you have a point stick? It's like a yard stick but it's a foot
long and marked in points (1 point, as well as 6 points, as well as
inches and millimeters. I had to go to a printing supply company on
the south side to find that, and even the man there had a bit of trouble
finding it (though it is now for sale online.)

I have a lot of interesting books on various subjects, but no single
person would be interested in more than one or two sections of the
books.

The clothes and the furniture, whatever is still usable, could all go to
Goodwill.

There is a scene in the movie... What's that movie from the 60's set in
Greece with Melina Mercouri and a very popular theme song? ... where
someone dies and the other people of the town storm her house as a mob
and grab everything she had. I wouldn't mind that, except some people
will take tools they can't use and books they'll never read. Some will
take anything just to sell it, and I wouldn't mind that either if they
only came after others had taken things they at least might use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 2:18:31 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
For people expecting to die who have heirs for their money, but no one
in their family or friends who wants their books or their tools or
their office supplies**, what do you plan to do? .. In my case, partly
because most of the people I know are old and my niblings don't live
nearby and are two generations younger than I am with different
interests.

**Don't knock office supplies. My desk is full of good things. How
many of you have a point stick? It's like a yard stick but it's a foot
long and marked in points (1 point, as well as 6 points, as well as
inches and millimeters. I had to go to a printing supply company on
the south side to find that, and even the man there had a bit of trouble
finding it (though it is now for sale online.)

Actually, I do. But we called it a "pica pole". I also
have a circular "slide rule" for calculating percentages
when you want to scale up/down a photograph so it will
fit in the space on the page.

I frankly don't know what I'll do with my husband's tools
should he predecease me.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/17 2:18 PM, micky wrote:
For people expecting to die who have heirs for their money, but no one
in their family or friends who wants their books or their tools or
their office supplies**, what do you plan to do? ..

snip

When I was cleaning out the house after wife died, I took books to a
local, independent, bookstore. They gladly took them.

For tools, if you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore in your area,
they will take tools and materials.

https://www.habitat.org/restores

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2017 4:09 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

You know what us husbands say.
Don't sell our guns or tools for what we told you we paid for them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to micky, Iggy wrote:
Goodwill, Salvation Army, Green Drop/Red Cross, etcetera. They all take a
myriad of things and not just clothes, large and heavy items they'll even
remove from wherever they stand or sit. I almost completely cleared out my
house with a local Auctioneer.

The Auctioneer gave me a $1000, came with a moving and truck and all of the
crap hand-me-downs and accumulated always-in-the-way junk was gone in a couple
of hours...beat-up metal lockers, extension ladders, antique and mass
production furniture, pictures, mirrors, glass dining table, old particleboard
kitchen cabinets and even an old Mercedes.

Absolutely Wonderful and I ain't old-old. The family was pitiful and only took
a dinette set, a couple of side tables and some lamps. Almost couldn't tell
they had run-through at all. 3 of their kids finally moving out had me
thinking my prayers had been answered, but nope.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...o-1152444-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 07 Dec 2017 22:14:02 GMT, Iggy
m wrote:

replying to micky, Iggy wrote:
Goodwill, Salvation Army, Green Drop/Red Cross, etcetera. They all take a
myriad of things and not just clothes, large and heavy items they'll even
remove from wherever they stand or sit. I almost completely cleared out my
house with a local Auctioneer.

The Auctioneer gave me a $1000, came with a moving and truck and all of the
crap hand-me-downs and accumulated always-in-the-way junk was gone in a couple
of hours...beat-up metal lockers, extension ladders, antique and mass
production furniture, pictures, mirrors, glass dining table, old particleboard
kitchen cabinets and even an old Mercedes.

Did you have a contract with them?

Did they actually want all the stuff they took? Or did they take it
because their own standard contract say they would?

Absolutely Wonderful and I ain't old-old. The family was pitiful and only took
a dinette set, a couple of side tables and some lamps. Almost couldn't tell
they had run-through at all. 3 of their kids finally moving out had me
thinking my prayers had been answered, but nope.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to micky, Iggy wrote:
Nope, no written contract, just a verbal understanding. And yes, they wanted
everything. Unbeknownst to me, they very commonly do House Clean-Outs as they
call them. In my case, I could consign everything and they'd pay me quite
possibly more after everything had finally sold off or I could take their
somewhat meager "Buy It Now" amount.

If you consign, they'll actually list everything out and give their best
estimate of value, which is what they expect to get at auction. Basically, if
it ain't Limited Edition or Antique, it ain't worth much at all, as I
confirmed on E-bay with most of the furniture.

I'm pretty kind to my stuff and nothing was far from mint. But still, it's a
shame to see a bunch of real wood things that served flawlessly for decades be
of no more value to today's people than used Ikea garbage. My stuff served me
well or had just been dumped on me, so gone was all I really cared about.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...o-1152444-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 08 Dec 2017 01:44:02 GMT, Iggy
m wrote:

[...]

My stuff is nothing special, but I sold some of my mother's solid
mahagony furniture, the bedroom suite, for %50. The woman was upstairs
at a party on a Saturday n ight when the host told her I was selling
stuff. At least she did appreciate what she was getting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to micky, Iggy wrote:
Yeah, I've done Yard Sales (literal giveaways), bi-annual trips to the dump
and bi-annual SUV loads to Goodwill for decades and still didn't make a dent.
But, I had quite a few people thank me afterwards for the Yard Sale stuff,
especially the Brass Bed lady.

The crux of my clean-out was to get rid of my Mom's stuff too. My problem was
that I never wanted, needed nor asked for any of it. I was just the guy with
the good back and plenty of room. I'm actually a minimalist that it took
30-years to stop being a forced-hoarder. The family's "Public Storage" was
finally shutdown.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...o-1152444-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

But, I had quite a few people thank me afterwards for the Yard Sale stuff,
especially the Brass Bed lady.

https://bobdylan.com/songs/lay-lady-lay/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 06:30:27 -0500, micky wrote:

My stuff is nothing special, but I sold some of my mother's solid
mahagony furniture, the bedroom suite, for %50.

Brown furniture is no longer in. Even 18th century antiques, though they
still have value, are worth a fraction of what they were in the 1980s.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to hubops, Iggy wrote:
I always think of that and wonder what she means. She'd stop me on the
sidewalk and thank me saying "that brass bed is just wonderful". I don't know
if she means the look and the constant polishing or the finials...she was
always overly happy about it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...o-1152444-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

om wrote:

[...]

That was supposed to be $50. New it would have been more than 1000. It
was in very good to excellent condition, even though it was 50 years old
at the time. If you dont damage things they don't get damaged.

at a party on a Saturday n ight when the host told her I was selling
stuff. At least she did appreciate what she was getting.

She appreciated the solid mahogany. Although she wasn't buying it for
herself but to furnish an apartment she rented. Were it not for the bed
she might have wanted it for herself (and her husband) but it had two
single beds on one wide headboard, that rolled apart into a V, so one
could make the beds. I don't think king-size mattresses existed in
1945.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

When we moved we gave away a bunch of stuff. I made a trip to Salvation
Army store a few times a week but most other stuff we did not take was
given away. The dining room set was very expensive when we bought it
over 40 years ago but it is not easy to find the right person that would
appreciate it.

I just figured we enjoyed it for many years and it was just the cost of
buying a new house and moving.