Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Claw truck max lift weight

How much can a typical claw truck lift?
I have some tree trunks sitting out there fir the FEMA pickup (Irma)
and I wonder if I need to cut them up more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 5:57:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
How much can a typical claw truck lift?
I have some tree trunks sitting out there fir the FEMA pickup (Irma)
and I wonder if I need to cut them up more.

Wow. Good luck. I only respond because i never saw a Claw truck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 5:57:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
How much can a typical claw truck lift?
I have some tree trunks sitting out there fir the FEMA pickup (Irma)
and I wonder if I need to cut them up more.

Not sure what you mean by a typical claw truck. Here in NJ
they do brush pickup and they use a front end loader that has
jaws on it. They pick up some pretty heavy stuff, dump it in
one of those big, long, open dumpster bins that a truck then backs
up to and loads. I've put out pieces that were so heavy I had
to roll them out on a dolly. And here after Sandy when there was
a big cleanup, they took even bigger stuff. I'd say if you can
get it to the street, they'll probably take it. You could call
the town and ask, they should know, even if they're not doing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 19 Oct 2017 17:56:44 -0400,
wrote:

How much can a typical claw truck lift?
I have some tree trunks sitting out there fir the FEMA pickup (Irma)
and I wonder if I need to cut them up more.

Well, I've seen a claw truck and it was interesting enough that I
stopped to watch it. But it was picking up big piles of little stuff.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/ne...debris-removal
You don't say what city you live in, but the only reference to claw
truck won't help you. It looks like FEMA reimburses towns and doesn't
provide its own equipment, so maybe you can find out from your town.

"HOLLY HILL

In Holly Hill, residents should use this weekend to clean their
properties and place storm debris at the road. Residents should avoid
placing debris next to fire hydrants, over storm drains in the roadway
or in a position where the claw truck may not be able to reach it due to
overhead obstructions. All construction debris must be kept separate
from yard debris. Collection is planned to begin next week; dates will
be announced when the contractor provides confirmation."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How much can a typical claw truck lift?
I have some tree trunks sitting out there fir the FEMA pickup (Irma)
and I wonder if I need to cut them up more.

Well, I've seen a claw truck and it was interesting enough that I
stopped to watch it. But it was picking up big piles of little stuff.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/ne...debris-removal
You don't say what city you live in, but the only reference to claw
truck won't help you. It looks like FEMA reimburses towns and doesn't
provide its own equipment, so maybe you can find out from your town.

Lee County is working on the debris but they are talking about 2.5
millions of yards of "hort" in our county. I have a big pile of little
stuff (logs the size of your leg) in the field next to my house that
you can see from space. I am also piling up logs that are almost 3
feet in diameter in front of my house. I really do not want to drag
them down the road because the chain will be tough on the asphalt.

The west coast got hit a lot harder than the east coast. Irma came on
shore in the county below me at a Cat 4 and was a Cat 3 when it came
over my house.
I lost a lot of trees.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 20-Oct-17 1:05 AM, wrote:

Lee County is working on the debris but they are talking about 2.5
millions of yards of "hort" in our county. I have a big pile of little
stuff (logs the size of your leg) in the field next to my house that
you can see from space. I am also piling up logs that are almost 3
feet in diameter in front of my house. I really do not want to drag
them down the road because the chain will be tough on the asphalt.

The west coast got hit a lot harder than the east coast. Irma came on
shore in the county below me at a Cat 4 and was a Cat 3 when it came
over my house.
I lost a lot of trees.

Feel your pain...still have remnants from the big ice/snow in January
that haven't gotten cleaned up...the county closed the burn collection
pile well before had sufficient time to get all the big stuff down so
been having to just deal piecemeal with what can in between the
necessary other stuff. Finally gave up the idea of being able to burn
all the really large stuff (2-ft and up) so opened bulk account at the
land fill...it's still $35/T but other than that it'll be piled all
around the place for years...so whatchya gonna do...

Can't imagine how much more would have if had that kind of wind,
too...I've never seen ice do so much damage as did this storm, I suppose
because it was late and we'd had enough warm weather the sap had started
running and stuff was already partially leafed out so just so much more
surface area...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How much can a typical claw truck lift?
I have some tree trunks sitting out there fir the FEMA pickup (Irma)
and I wonder if I need to cut them up more.

Well, I've seen a claw truck and it was interesting enough that I
stopped to watch it. But it was picking up big piles of little stuff.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/ne...debris-removal
You don't say what city you live in, but the only reference to claw
truck won't help you. It looks like FEMA reimburses towns and doesn't
provide its own equipment, so maybe you can find out from your town.

Lee County is working on the debris but they are talking about 2.5
millions of yards of "hort" in our county. I have a big pile of little
stuff (logs the size of your leg) in the field next to my house that
you can see from space.

Really! You mean the colloquial "you", right? that they showed you
such a view? You're not saying that they've updated one of the webpage
satellite views since the storm, are you? Because I would go look if I
could see it.

I am also piling up logs that are almost 3
feet in diameter in front of my house. I really do not want to drag
them down the road because the chain will be tough on the asphalt.

The west coast got hit a lot harder than the east coast. Irma came on
shore in the county below me at a Cat 4 and was a Cat 3 when it came
over my house.
I lost a lot of trees.

That's bad but I hope your house is okay.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Only 36 inch long?

I've never seen a claw that can't handle that, you should be okay.

Uh, we call it a grapple, but I knew what you meant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The NOAA pictures were taken on Wednesday as far as I can tell, just
by the cars in the driveway. (3 days after the storm) I had really
just got started on the trees by then, just getting the ones out of
the back yard, right outside the door and off the shed. Since then I
have been working on the canal and the ones behind the shed.
The pile is much bigger and the largest trunks are in front of the
house.

I am also piling up logs that are almost 3
feet in diameter in front of my house. I really do not want to drag
them down the road because the chain will be tough on the asphalt.

The west coast got hit a lot harder than the east coast. Irma came on
shore in the county below me at a Cat 4 and was a Cat 3 when it came
over my house.
I lost a lot of trees.

That's bad but I hope your house is okay.

I lost a half dozen screen panels in the pool cage but other than that
I am OK
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2017 07:59 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 5:57:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
How much can a typical claw truck lift?
I have some tree trunks sitting out there fir the FEMA pickup (Irma)
and I wonder if I need to cut them up more.

Not sure what you mean by a typical claw truck. Here in NJ
they do brush pickup and they use a front end loader that has
jaws on it. They pick up some pretty heavy stuff, dump it in
one of those big, long, open dumpster bins that a truck then backs
up to and loads. I've put out pieces that were so heavy I had
to roll them out on a dolly. And here after Sandy when there was
a big cleanup, they took even bigger stuff. I'd say if you can
get it to the street, they'll probably take it. You could call
the town and ask, they should know, even if they're not doing it.

Yah, just send the ****ing bill to the taxpayers! Sheeeeesh!

I live in a self-sufficient area and we pay to remove our own storm debris.Â* Now I understand why you lean to the left.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 16:54:53 -0400, hillary_4
wrote:

[...]

We pay the county to remove our horticulture and other solid waste in
our taxes.
It is a separate tax.
They just give us a break on the tying and bundling after a cat 3
hurricane.
The county says it expects to remove 2.5 million yards of hort and I
think they are guessing low. Every street around here is lined by
piles 5-10 feet deep off the road and up to 6-7 feet high. It is
everything from small sticks to trunks as big as mine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 4:55:02 PM UTC-4, hillary_4 wrote:
[...]

When your area actually gets hit by a natural disaster, you'll probably
be the first person taking govt assistance in removing debris. To not
do so, is like paying for insurance for 30 years and then not using
it when it's appropriate. And for the record, it was the township here
that routinely picks up brush, logs, etc spring and fall. And they
picked it up following Sandy too. I pay $12K a year in property tax,
property tax pays to fund the local govt, so I don't see your alleged
issue in using the service I'm paying for. That includes trash pickup,
should I forgo that service too? Presumably FEMA also kicked
in some money to the township, but so what? I've paid plenty of income
tax over decades, so I don't have a problem with getting something of
some little value back once in blue moon. And what's more efficient,
faster, and far less costly? Having the township go down the street
doing it all? Or having each property owner find some contractor,
get them to do it? And remember, this was when almost every property
had sawed up trees that had to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 06:57:36 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Stuff grows a lot faster here. We get a separate horticulture pickup
every week (bundled material) but this is a special pickup and yes I
think FEMA is pitching in some of the money. This will be the second
time in 57 years for us that the feds kicked in. (the other being
after Charley)
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

I would just put it out and let them worry about it. If it is to heavy they
will either have a heaver duty piece of equipment, cut it up themselves or
give you a notice. I presume your's isn't the heaviest load around (g).

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

I bet I am close. We have quite a pile out there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 16:46:52 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 19:23:16 -0400, wrote:

We are hoping. Our biggest fear is it won't be Lee County but the
Village of Estero doing the pickup. About 95% of this village is gated
communities who do not depend on city resources so the village tends
to ignore us. In fact the only residential streets in the whole
village that are not privately maintained are in the 3 communities at
the southern end of West Broadway. (about 150 homes)
I really wish they would just think we were too much trouble and give
us back to the county.

Wow. Estero used to be a place you passed on HWY 41. Back in the day
there was not even a blinker or red or caution light.

Yup this place was less than 2,000 people when I moved here and now it
is well over 10 times that, virtually all gated, golf course
communities.
You should try a google earth and look around. You will not recognize
the place. My neighborhood (Estero River Heights) didn't change much
but we are about 95% built out. There are still a few vacant lots tho,
a couple waterfront. We did just have someone buy a nice $460k house
on the river, tear it down and build a bigger one so they are coming.

Have you ever fished on the rivers around Bonita and Estero?

I don't fish but I watch fish. If I ever decide I want to kill some, I
know where they hang out ;-)
I have thought about throwing a spoon without a hook on it, just to
see if I can get them to hit it. We are on the Estero River 3 or 4
days a week.
Bonita is such a pain in the ass to get to from here these days and
the whole Imperial River is no wake so I don't go there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My brother (RIP) did some tree work on the Imperial River. I was a
young teen and worked with him a day or so.

Those 20" Oak branches hanging over the river banks were full of 30+#
Snook, hanging out in the tree shade. Just below the surface.