DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   any reason I couldn't tap into a French drain to use it as a basement floor drain? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/59844-any-reason-i-couldnt-tap-into-french-drain-use-basement-floor-drain.html)

PH July 6th 04 11:46 PM

any reason I couldn't tap into a French drain to use it as a basement floor drain?

My water treatment equipment and hot water heater are at the opposite
end of the basement from the sump, which seem to be hooked to a French
drain. There is about an inch of blue styrofoam all around the
perimeter of the basement; when I busted a few chunks of it out I saw
crushed rock underneath.

I'm thinking about somehow setting up a system to drain the equipment
to the crushed rock below the floor. This would save a bunch of
shop-vaccing water off the floor when I have to break fittings for
maintenance, or if something breaks.

Any problems with such an approach?

Thanks,
Pete.

Speedy Jim July 6th 04 11:53 PM

PH wrote:

My water treatment equipment and hot water heater are at the opposite
end of the basement from the sump, which seem to be hooked to a French
drain. There is about an inch of blue styrofoam all around the
perimeter of the basement; when I busted a few chunks of it out I saw
crushed rock underneath.

I'm thinking about somehow setting up a system to drain the equipment
to the crushed rock below the floor. This would save a bunch of
shop-vaccing water off the floor when I have to break fittings for
maintenance, or if something breaks.

Any problems with such an approach?

Thanks,
Pete.

I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.
Sounds like the "French drain" was installed at a later date
as a means of "waterproofing" the basement. The system should
handle a generous quantity of water.

Jim

m Ransley July 7th 04 02:05 AM

any reason I couldn't tap into a French drain to use it as aba...

Does it go to a sump pump in the basement or downhill somewhere .

PH July 7th 04 12:30 PM

(m Ransley) wrote in message ...
Does it go to a sump pump in the basement or downhill somewhere .

Into a sump pump in the basement.