Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hurricane Ophelia Prompts Amber and Yellow Weather Warnings ForBritish Isles

Winds of up to 70mph (113km/h) are expected to hit Northern Ireland,
northern England and Wales and southern and central Scotland on Monday,
lasting well into the night.

The weather system will lose its €śHurricane€ť status but remains a
€śmajor storm€ť.

*Why did you lot send this storm over to us?* ;-)

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...hp_ref=uk-news
--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 18:14:24 +0100, Bod wrote:

Winds of up to 70mph (113km/h) are expected to hit Northern Ireland,
northern England and Wales and southern and central Scotland on Monday,
lasting well into the night.

The weather system will lose its €śHurricane€ť status but remains a
€śmajor storm€ť.

*Why did you lot send this storm over to us?* ;-)

We are just sharing the fun. We don't even put the shutters up for a
little puff of wind like that. Irma was a Cat 3 when the eye went over
my house. (120-130 MPH)
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/irma%20back%20yard.wmv
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 13:32:40 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 18:14:24 +0100, Bod wrote:

Winds of up to 70mph (113km/h) are expected to hit Northern Ireland,
northern England and Wales and southern and central Scotland on Monday,
lasting well into the night.

The weather system will lose it’s “Hurricane” status but remains a
“major storm”.

*Why did you lot send this storm over to us?* ;-)

We are just sharing the fun. We don't even put the shutters up for a
little puff of wind like that. Irma was a Cat 3 when the eye went over
my house. (120-130 MPH)
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/irma%20back%20yard.wmv

Yep. Even here in the desert, a 70 MPH wind storm is small stuff. It
does feel like standing in front of a sand blaster, though.

Your screen pool cover held up well. A cousin was in the business.
Hurricanes bought him a lot of bread & butter
Posted to alt.home.repair

Your screen pool cover held up well. A cousin was in the business.
Hurricanes bought him a lot of bread & butter

Ah ha ! - I was wondering what what that was.
.... didn't want to ask and sound stoopider than normal.

We're presently enjoying gusts up to 80 km / hour -
warnings started yesterday at noon ..
Power is off, my little Honda generator is screaming.
For many years I have wondered about rigging/buying a
device to tell me when grid power returned -
at night it's obvious when the streetlights come on -
during the day - I ask my one neighbour to phone me.
Recently - I just check for my neighbours' Wi-Fi
signals to appear on my laptop - usually 7 or 8 of them -
during the outage - just one.
.... mind you - that doesn't work after I've gone to bed.
ps: Clare - the "Power-Bak" device, mentioned here
is not a stock item anywhere that I've called -
custom order .. re-stocking fee ..
It would be nice to have a loud audible & simple
device - to alert of grid power ON.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

I've slept in a tent at 90mph.

Who was driving?

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2017 03:51, Bill Wright wrote:

Â*I've slept in a tent at 90mph.

Who was driving?

Bill

chuckle

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2017 11:14 AM, Bod wrote:
Winds of up to 70mph (113km/h) are expected to hit Northern Ireland,
northern England and Wales and southern and central Scotland on Monday,
lasting well into the night.

The weather system will lose its €śHurricane€ť status but remains a
€śmajor storm€ť.

*Why did you lot send this storm over to us?* ;-)

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...hp_ref=uk-news

And the Republic has a red warning. Perhaps Trump will send aid to them;
at least Ireland has its **** in a sack as opposed to PR.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 12:01:57 -0700, Oren wrote:

[...]

Yup I lost 5 panels but that is just screen. The cage came out fine.
This is the 21st century code so it is tougher than the old ones.
As Ron White says it is not "that" the wind is blowing, it is "what"
the wind is blowing. Just adding a lot of rain to the mix will
increase the impact of 120 mph winds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 14:45:13 -0700, Oren wrote:

No worry. Just an aluminum frame with screen panels. If a tree falls
on it at ~125 MPH -- it needs more than a few screens.

Not to argue but Charley dropped a mango tree on my cage and it
survived, only losing the screen panels that branches poked through.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/charlie/Tre...Tiki%20Bar.jpg

OTOH my neighbor did not do as well in Irma.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Irma/Ann%20...een%20cage.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 00:05:35 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH idiot's usual bull****

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 05:36:32 +0100, wrote:

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 12:01:57 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 13:32:40 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 18:14:24 +0100, Bod wrote:

Winds of up to 70mph (113km/h) are expected to hit Northern Ireland,
northern England and Wales and southern and central Scotland on
Monday,
lasting well into the night.

The weather system will lose its €śHurricane€ť status but remains a
€śmajor storm€ť.

*Why did you lot send this storm over to us?*Â* ;-)

We are just sharing the fun. We don't even put the shutters up for a
little puff of wind like that. Irma was a Cat 3 when the eye went over
my house. (120-130 MPH)
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/irma%20back%20yard.wmv

Yep.Â* Even here in the desert, a 70 MPH wind storm is small stuff.Â* It
does feel like standing in front of a sand blaster, though.

Your screen pool cover held up well. A cousin was in the business.
Hurricanes bought him a lot of bread & butter

Yup I lost 5 panels but that is just screen. The cage came out fine.
This is the 21st century code so it is tougher than the old ones.
As Ron White says it is not "that" the wind is blowing, it is "what"
the wind is blowing. Just adding a lot of rain to the mix will
increase the impact of 120 mph winds.

I was on a nudist beach in France with a galeforce wind.Â* That felt nice
:-)

30 years ago today the south of the UK had winds of 115mph.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 13:58:32 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

Was there much property damage?

Yup and also 15 million trees blew over, about 15 people died.
The biggest storm since the 1700s apparently.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 14:03:23 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

30 years ago today the south of the UK had winds of 115mph.

Was there much property damage?

You'd better worry about your brain damage, Birdbrain!

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange sociopathic
mind:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 13:53:56 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Who was driving?

god almighty ;-)

Just ANY attention will do for you, eh, poor psycho?

--
Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic "mind" at work:
"Even better, kill people in jail for more than 10 years."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 1:33:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 18:14:24 +0100, Bod wrote:

Winds of up to 70mph (113km/h) are expected to hit Northern Ireland,
northern England and Wales and southern and central Scotland on Monday,
lasting well into the night.

The weather system will lose its €śHurricane€ť status but remains a
€śmajor storm€ť.

*Why did you lot send this storm over to us?* ;-)

We are just sharing the fun. We don't even put the shutters up for a
little puff of wind like that. Irma was a Cat 3 when the eye went over
my house. (120-130 MPH)
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/irma%20back%20yard.wmv

Good one. We had a bit of wind in 2000. From our vantage point on
the screen porch we could hear the "freight train" noise that means
a tornado is going past. We couldn't see it; too many trees between
us and it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 21:00:51 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Good one. We had a bit of wind in 2000. From our vantage point on
the screen porch we could hear the "freight train" noise that means
a tornado is going past. We couldn't see it; too many trees between
us and it.

Didn't y'all see the dust cloud?

Nobody was talking to you, Birdbrain.

--
about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 15:27:32 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

posted for all of us...

[...]

Get a cheap radio tuned to the local AM station and plug it into an
unpowered outlet.

Still doesn't work with a manual transfer device. What the OP is
looking for is a way to know when to shut off the generator and switch
back to "mains" power.

The "power-Back" does this by sensing voltage on the incoming mains
ahead of rhe disconnect/transfer/interlock or whatever you are using
to isolate the panel from the mains to run the generator. It is "code
compliant" because it is a "non-contact" voltage sensor. If you want
to ignore code, and be 100% illegal there are LOTS of ways to do it.
Gotta be STOOOOPID to do it though - involves tapping into the mains
ahead of the main circuit protection device and connecting an
indicator of some sort (alarm, light, radio, or whatever) through a
small fuse and a switch - when you KNOW the power is on you turn off
the switch. When you want to know if the power is on, you turn ON the
switch. Does exactly what the Poiwer-Back does - but the PowerBak does
it safely and legally.

Don't be CHEAP and STOOPID - just buy the PowerBack

Available from Amazon here in Canada for $53.21 Canadian.

Reliance Electric THP108 if you want to google it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

snips

It would be nice to have a loud audible & simple
device - to alert of grid power ON.

Get a cheap radio tuned to the local AM station
and plug it into an unpowered outlet.

That would be nice & easy - except -
- main breaker is OFF when I'm on generator power.
The Power-Back device is the answer - I just need to
get one ... or make one.
Our power outages are usually ~ 5 hours ..
... about 3 times per year
ignoring the blips and 5 minute outages
But the serious outages can be 2 or 3 days.
... if it's January - February it's serious.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 17:04:55 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 15:27:32 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

posted for all of us...

[...]

These days you can just go look at the meter. A smart meter will have
a display when the power is on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 15:27:32 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

posted for all of us...

[...]

But you don't want to stand there watching it or run out to check it
every 5 minutes. The power-back "yells" pretty loud when the power
comes back on. O could here mine from the neighbour's front yard when
the power came back on