DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Proper saw cut time (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/598045-proper-saw-cut-time.html)

Laura October 12th 17 04:44 AM

Proper saw cut time

Our concrete was poured 2 weeks ago...the contractor never returned to do saw
cuts. Is it too late to have saw cuts done now?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1146956-.htm

Ed Pawlowski October 12th 17 04:50 AM

Proper saw cut time

On 10/11/2017 11:44 PM, Laura wrote:
Our concrete was poured 2 weeks ago...the contractor never returned to
do saw
cuts. Is it too late to have saw cuts done now?

Can be done at any time, even years later.

[email protected] October 12th 17 05:08 AM

Proper saw cut time

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 03:44:02 GMT, Laura
m wrote:

Our concrete was poured 2 weeks ago...the contractor never returned to do saw
cuts. Is it too late to have saw cuts done now?

Any time before it cracks, the sooner the better.

trader_4 October 12th 17 07:48 AM

Proper saw cut time

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 11:50:59 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/11/2017 11:44 PM, Laura wrote:
Our concrete was poured 2 weeks ago...the contractor never returned to
do saw
cuts. Is it too late to have saw cuts done now?

Can be done at any time, even years later.

The only difference I would think is that if you did it soon after
you can safely walk on it, the cutting will be easier and faster
than if you wait a couple weeks until it is more fully cured.

TimR[_2_] October 12th 17 01:16 PM

Proper saw cut time

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 2:48:19 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 11:50:59 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/11/2017 11:44 PM, Laura wrote:
Our concrete was poured 2 weeks ago...the contractor never returned to
do saw
cuts. Is it too late to have saw cuts done now?

Can be done at any time, even years later.

The only difference I would think is that if you did it soon after
you can safely walk on it, the cutting will be easier and faster
than if you wait a couple weeks until it is more fully cured.

If properly mixed and not subject to chemical attack, concrete continues to harden slowly for the first 50 years, then usually starts to weaken slowly.

Yes, you can saw cut now, and the longer you leave it the harder it will be, and the more likely it will crack where you don't want it to first.