Old September 12th 17, 07:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hurricane Windows

We recently bought a FL house, in the path of Irma. Alas we are not
near by, to actually inspect our house.

My question. The prior owner had installed Hurricane rated windows and
sliiding doors. Clearly they are effective to flying debris. What I do
not know, ma asking for advice : are hurricane rated "windows/ doors"
also effective in limiting any water penetration. Our house is
located in the Tampa area, directly on the Gulf shore - where high
water surges have been reported. We were not "home" to put down sand
bags and plastic barriers

Old September 12th 17, 07:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2017 1:08 PM, Dave C wrote:
We recently bought a FL house, in the path of Irma. Alas we are not
near by, to actually inspect our house.

My question. The prior owner had installed Hurricane rated windows and
sliiding doors. Clearly they are effective to flying debris. What I do
not know, ma asking for advice : are hurricane rated "windows/ doors"
also effective in limiting any water penetration. Our house is
located in the Tampa area, directly on the Gulf shore - where high
water surges have been reported. We were not "home" to put down sand
bags and plastic barriers

If by water penetration you mean heavy rain, you should be good.
Flooding, crap shoot.

The surge was not as bad as originally thought so you may be ok for
flooding. My daughter in Bradenton is in a B zone and had no flooding
but no idea when power will be back. I hope you did as well as she did.
My son in Parrish never lost power.
Old September 12th 17, 07:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 13:08:13 -0400, Dave C wrote:

We recently bought a FL house, in the path of Irma. Alas we are not
near by, to actually inspect our house.

My question. The prior owner had installed Hurricane rated windows and
sliiding doors. Clearly they are effective to flying debris. What I do
not know, ma asking for advice : are hurricane rated "windows/ doors"
also effective in limiting any water penetration. Our house is
located in the Tampa area, directly on the Gulf shore - where high
water surges have been reported. We were not "home" to put down sand
bags and plastic barriers

there are only two types of windows and doors -
"Those that leak and those that are going to leak."

http://www.floridadisaster.org/hrg/c...ings_index.asp

John T.

Old September 12th 17, 07:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 1:46:35 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/12/2017 1:08 PM, Dave C wrote:
We recently bought a FL house, in the path of Irma. Alas we are not
near by, to actually inspect our house.

My question. The prior owner had installed Hurricane rated windows and
sliiding doors. Clearly they are effective to flying debris. What I do
not know, ma asking for advice : are hurricane rated "windows/ doors"
also effective in limiting any water penetration. Our house is
located in the Tampa area, directly on the Gulf shore - where high
water surges have been reported. We were not "home" to put down sand
bags and plastic barriers

If by water penetration you mean heavy rain, you should be good.
Flooding, crap shoot.

Flooding I'd say forget about it. The windows nay not let more than
a small trickle in, but the water hands almost infinite other paths.
I watched some dummy in FL on the news before the storm, cutting up
what looked like door panels or similar, to form a barrier inside
his garage? WTF? Total waste of time.

The surge was not as bad as originally thought so you may be ok for
flooding. My daughter in Bradenton is in a B zone and had no flooding
but no idea when power will be back. I hope you did as well as she did.
My son in Parrish never lost power.

Yes, the storm surge, from what I saw, the worst might have been
in Miami area and very southern west coast.
Old September 12th 17, 08:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 13:08:13 -0400, Dave C wrote:

We recently bought a FL house, in the path of Irma. Alas we are not
near by, to actually inspect our house.

My question. The prior owner had installed Hurricane rated windows and
sliiding doors. Clearly they are effective to flying debris. What I do
not know, ma asking for advice : are hurricane rated "windows/ doors"
also effective in limiting any water penetration. Our house is
located in the Tampa area, directly on the Gulf shore - where high
water surges have been reported. We were not "home" to put down sand
bags and plastic barriers

I don't know the exact answer, age of the house, the floor level or
ground elevation, building codes used, etc. If water wants in, it can
find away into the house. Especially; if the roof is ripped off or a
neighbor's roof lands in the window.

Old September 12th 17, 08:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

My daughter in Bradenton is in a B zone and had no flooding
but no idea when power will be back.

Hundreds of power line workers plus equipment are on the way
from Ontario Canada. Link below is just one company - several other
large electrical companies are sending help also eg. Toronto Hydro.

https://www.hydroone.com/cnw-article#?articleId=122901

John T.

Old September 12th 17, 08:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 2:15:01 PM UTC-4, BurfordTJustice wrote:
So says the google grouper fron New Jersey....WTF Boi?

It's simply a matter of physics, not location, moron. Even if a window
itself is 100% water tight, a storm surge engulfs the whole house. A storm
surge that reaches window level is high enough that water is going in via all available means. In that case, what a window does beyond not breaking
from flying debris, is largely irrelevant. Even the flying debris part
is probably irrelevant if the storm surge reaches window level. Blowing
out of a window might actually help at that point, equalizing pressure,
so that the water doesn't cave in the whole structure.
Old September 12th 17, 09:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2017 2:08 PM, wrote:

My daughter in Bradenton is in a B zone and had no flooding
but no idea when power will be back.

Hundreds of power line workers plus equipment are on the way
from Ontario Canada. Link below is just one company - several other
large electrical companies are sending help also eg. Toronto Hydro.

https://www.hydroone.com/cnw-article#?articleId=122901

John T.

We always bitch about the electric bill, but in a crisis power companies
do a good job of assisting in other areas and getting power back on
quickly. Of course, it is quickly at your house, takes forever if it is
my house.

They cut power in my son's area for a few hours to clear downed wires
for safety. Four hours down is really a minor inconvenience.
Old September 12th 17, 09:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:03:24 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

They cut power in my son's area for a few hours to clear downed wires
for safety. Four hours down is really a minor inconvenience.

It does not take long. States have inter-state agreements to help each
other. A "memorandum of understanding". Trucks are staged in regions
or in the state.
Old September 12th 17, 09:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12-Sep-17 2:27 PM, Oren wrote:

It does not take long. States have inter-state agreements to help each
other. A "memorandum of understanding". Trucks are staged in regions
or in the state.

All depends on what definition of "long" is and how much damage there is
to restore for any given location...not terribly uncommon to be month or
more for some locations if there are significant numbers of poles
required or major transformers or the like...the more rural the more
likely, but even urban areas can take quite a while if damage is severe
enough.