Old September 13th 17, 01:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hurricane Windows

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 3:56:35 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 12-Sep-17 2:27 PM, Oren wrote:

It does not take long. States have inter-state agreements to help each
other. A "memorandum of understanding". Trucks are staged in regions
or in the state.

All depends on what definition of "long" is and how much damage there is
to restore for any given location...not terribly uncommon to be month or
more for some locations if there are significant numbers of poles
required or major transformers or the like...the more rural the more
likely, but even urban areas can take quite a while if damage is severe
enough.

--

It took a week here in NJ after Sandy to restore power to my house.
A friend took a couple days longer. They built his substation

Old September 13th 17, 03:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12-Sep-17 2:27 PM, Oren wrote:

It does not take long. States have inter-state agreements to help each
other. A "memorandum of understanding". Trucks are staged in regions
or in the state.

All depends on what definition of "long" is and how much damage there is
to restore for any given location...not terribly uncommon to be month or
more for some locations if there are significant numbers of poles
required or major transformers or the like...the more rural the more
likely, but even urban areas can take quite a while if damage is severe
enough.

--

It took a week here in NJ after Sandy to restore power to my house.
A friend took a couple days longer. They built his substation
next to a river, in a low spot, a couple miles in from the ocean.
Not too bright. His was one of the last in the area I think.

It took almost three months before the last permanent lines were back up
near here (far SW KS) after the big ice event of about 6-7 years ago.
About 30 miles without a single pole still standing to some of the
outlying farmstead areas were the last. They did have temporary service
after about the first month or so...

Old September 13th 17, 06:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:03:42 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 13:08:13 -0400, Dave C wrote:

We recently bought a FL house, in the path of Irma. Alas we are not
near by, to actually inspect our house.

My question. The prior owner had installed Hurricane rated windows and
sliiding doors. Clearly they are effective to flying debris. What I do
not know, ma asking for advice : are hurricane rated "windows/ doors"
also effective in limiting any water penetration. Our house is
located in the Tampa area, directly on the Gulf shore - where high
water surges have been reported. We were not "home" to put down sand
bags and plastic barriers

I don't know the exact answer, age of the house, the floor level or
ground elevation, building codes used, etc. If water wants in, it can
find away into the house. Especially; if the roof is ripped off or a
neighbor's roof lands in the window.

Thanks to all of the responders! As we now have power (New Port Rchey
FL area) we soon find out if we had water penetration.

On the bigger picture, we are glad to still have our "roof" intact

Thx
Old September 13th 17, 07:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 13:15:02 -0400, Dave C wrote:

Thanks to all of the responders! As we now have power (New Port Rchey
FL area) we soon find out if we had water penetration.

On the bigger picture, we are glad to still have our "roof" intact

Thx

I was just thinking about the nuclear power plants. Florida shut down
two -- Turkey Point and St. Lucie, both on the Atlantic coast. I
suppose both up and running now.
Old September 13th 17, 10:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/12/2017 02:27 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

It does not take long. States have inter-state agreements to help each
other. A "memorandum of understanding". Trucks are staged in regions
or in the state.

I'm about 180 miles from Houston. We recently had a bunch of trucks
staged around here.

--
103 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Faith is a euphemism for prejudice and religion is a euphemism for
superstition." [Paul Keller, American rationalist]

Old September 13th 17, 11:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 16:20:13 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

It does not take long. States have inter-state agreements to help each
other. A "memorandum of understanding". Trucks are staged in regions
or in the state.

I'm about 180 miles from Houston. We recently had a bunch of trucks
staged around here.

The Cajun Navy was there to help Houston. Real coon-asses not waiting
for the Feds to save the day. They can cook some mean Gumbo.