DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   GFCI Protection Question ? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/594871-gfci-protection-question.html)

Bob[_44_] August 12th 17 10:44 PM

GFCI Protection Question ?

Hello,

Concerning the normal GFCI protectors/modules:

Obviously they protect "downstream" like they are designed to.

But does this protection also extend "upstream" ?
If so, to where ?

Thanks,
Bob

Retired[_2_] August 12th 17 10:59 PM

GFCI Protection Question ?

On 8/12/17 5:44 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Concerning the normal GFCI protectors/modules:

Obviously they protect "downstream" like they are designed to.

But does this protection also extend "upstream" ?
If so, to where ?

Thanks,
Bob

No, only downstream.

Ideally the GFCI would be the first outlet in line coming off that
circuit's breaker.

There are GFCI breakers if you need to protect any upstream wiring.

DerbyDad03 August 12th 17 11:19 PM

GFCI Protection Question ?

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 5:59:39 PM UTC-4, Retired wrote:
On 8/12/17 5:44 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Concerning the normal GFCI protectors/modules:

Obviously they protect "downstream" like they are designed to.

But does this protection also extend "upstream" ?
If so, to where ?

Thanks,
Bob

No, only downstream.

Ideally the GFCI would be the first outlet in line coming off that
circuit's breaker.

There are GFCI breakers if you need to protect any upstream wiring.

Based on the question asked, let's be 100% clear here.

The GFCI breaker still only protects wiring and devices that are downstream
from *it*.

By "protect any upstream wiring" you are of course, referring to any wiring
that is upstream from the first device after the breaker, not upstream from
the GFCI breaker itself. (Many of us understood what you meant, I just want
to make sure that the Bob understands that too.)

trader_4 August 12th 17 11:52 PM

GFCI Protection Question ?

On 8/12/17 5:44 PM, Bob wrote:
[...]

I think the above is less clear than what preceeded it. You're mixing
two different scenarios now. A GFCI breaker will protect everything
on that circuit. A GFCI receptacle or similar device, will only
protect itself and whatever is downstream. No GFCI device of any kind
will protect anything upstream of it.

micky August 13th 17 12:13 AM

GFCI Protection Question ?

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 17:44:04 -0400, Bob
wrote:

Hello,

Concerning the normal GFCI protectors/modules:

Obviously they protect "downstream" like they are designed to.

But does this protection also extend "upstream" ?
If so, to where ?

Kingston or maybe Albany.

Thanks,
Bob

[email protected] August 13th 17 02:13 AM

GFCI Protection Question ?

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 17:44:04 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Concerning the normal GFCI protectors/modules:

Obviously they protect "downstream" like they are designed to.

But does this protection also extend "upstream" ?
If so, to where ?

Thanks,
Bob

No, it does not (generally) extend upstream (back to the source). If
such a device exists it is not common and/or I have not seen one or
heard of one.

[email protected] August 13th 17 02:15 AM

GFCI Protection Question ?

On 8/12/17 5:44 PM, Bob wrote:
[...]

Damn, I KNEW that was coming!!!!

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= August 14th 17 09:14 PM

GFCI Protection Question ?

posted for all of us...

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 17:44:04 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Concerning the normal GFCI protectors/modules:

Obviously they protect "downstream" like they are designed to.

But does this protection also extend "upstream" ?
If so, to where ?

Thanks,
Bob

No, it does not (generally) extend upstream (back to the source). If
such a device exists it is not common and/or I have not seen one or
heard of one.

I think there has to be a definition made here. So I will do it..

Upstream: From source (breaker box) to GFCI outlet - not protected.

Downstream: From GFCI Outlet to far end of that circuit (last outlet on
that circuit).

GFCI breaker - source - (breaker box) to far end of that circuit (last
outlet on that circuit).

I hope I am clear as mud...

--
Tekkie