DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars and vans from2040 (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/594076-re-britain-ban-sale-all-diesel-petrol-cars-vans-from2040.html)

Ed Pawlowski July 27th 17 02:46 PM

Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars and vans from2040

On 7/27/2017 3:55 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , rbowman
writes
On 07/26/2017 11:49 AM, Graham T wrote:
On 26/07/2017 12:40, p-0''0-h the cat (coder) wrote:

It's a shame heavy goods will probably still need to stick with diesel.

Trolley buses could return. They were quite efficient vehicles.

I should think the overhead power lines would be unpopular with city
planners who have been trying to reduce clutter for decades.

Yet, somehow, trolley bus wires were simply part of the scenery. They
blended in, and you rarely took much notice of them. However, I expect
the infrastructure was a bit of a nightmare to maintain.

These days, the vastly increased amount of traffic on the streets could
make manoeuvring trolley buses very difficult at times (even if they had
bus lanes).

CT put in a busway from New Britain to Hartford. It costs $572 million
and is losing $17 million a year. Probably saves 6 cars from running
the highway now.