DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Do I need to paint over Kilz (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/593614-do-i-need-paint-over-kilz.html)

[email protected] July 18th 17 09:01 PM

Do I need to paint over Kilz

I am using Kilz 2 latex primer indoor / outdoor on a house after power washing it if I put a second coat of primer on will that protect the house as an outer coat?

dpb July 18th 17 09:07 PM

Do I need to paint over Kilz

On 07/18/2017 3:01 PM, wrote:
I am using Kilz 2 latex primer indoor / outdoor on a house after
power washing it if I put a second coat of primer on will that
protect the house as an outer coat?

No.

It's called "primer" for a reason. Read the label.

"KILZ 2® LATEX is a fast drying, €‹water-base, multi-purpose
primer-sealer-stainblocker that can be topcoated with latex or oil-base
paint."

Stormin' Norman July 18th 17 09:11 PM

Do I need to paint over Kilz

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 13:01:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I am using Kilz 2 latex primer indoor / outdoor on a house after power washing it if I put a second coat of primer on will that protect the house as an outer coat?

It probably will not provide the kind of UV protection or durability
of a good, acrylic latex, heavily pigmented paint.

Why would you want to use it as the top coat?

dpb July 18th 17 11:13 PM

Do I need to paint over Kilz

On 07/18/2017 3:01 PM, wrote:
I am using Kilz 2 latex primer indoor / outdoor on a house after
power washing it if I put a second coat of primer on will that
protect the house as an outer coat?

No.

It's called "primer" for a reason. Read the label.

"KILZ 2® LATEX is a fast drying, €‹water-base, multi-purpose
primer-sealer-stainblocker that can be topcoated with latex or oil-base
paint."

--

Can be != must be

Misinterpretation of what "can" is referring to here...it's the latex
_or_ oil it's intended as qualifying, not whether there's an option to
use it as finish coat or not.

Bill[_47_] July 18th 17 11:38 PM

Do I need to paint over Kilz

Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 13:01:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I am using Kilz 2 latex primer indoor / outdoor on a house after power washing it if I put a second coat of primer on will that protect the house as an outer coat?

It probably will not provide the kind of UV protection or durability
of a good, acrylic latex, heavily pigmented paint.

Why would you want to use it as the top coat?

I've got the interior of my garage "painted" with it. It is working out
fine. I would not expect to do the same thing for exterior work (for
the reasons above).

[email protected] July 19th 17 12:24 AM

Do I need to paint over Kilz

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 13:01:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I am using Kilz 2 latex primer indoor / outdoor on a house after power washing it if I put a second coat of primer on will that protect the house as an outer coat?

No, it is a PRIMER, not a topcoat.

Frank[_24_] October 29th 17 10:55 PM

Do I need to paint over Kilz

On 07/18/2017 3:01 PM, wrote:
I am using Kilz 2 latex primer indoor / outdoor on a house after
power washing it if I put a second coat of primer on will that
protect the house as an outer coat?

No.

It's called "primer" for a reason. Read the label.

"KILZ 2® LATEX is a fast drying, €‹water-base, multi-purpose
primer-sealer-stainblocker that can be topcoated with latex or oil-base
paint."

--

Can be != must be

Misinterpretation of what "can" is referring to here...it's the latex
_or_ oil it's intended as qualifying, not whether there's an option to
use it as finish coat or not.

--

I just painted some re-cemented cracks in a cinder block retaining wall
with a similar product. It looks the same shade white as on the blocks

[email protected] June 24th 18 11:45 PM

Do I need to paint over Kilz

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 4:07:13 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 07/18/2017 3:01 PM, wrote:
I am using Kilz 2 latex primer indoor / outdoor on a house after
power washing it if I put a second coat of primer on will that
protect the house as an outer coat?

No.

It's called "primer" for a reason. Read the label.

"KILZ 2® LATEX is a fast drying, €‹water-base, multi-purpose
primer-sealer-stainblocker that can be topcoated with latex or oil-base
paint."

--

what a smart alec! the dude was just asking a question, and you got to try to make him look stupid?