DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Porch 'Possum (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/592891-porch-possum.html)

slate_leeper July 3rd 17 09:08 PM

Porch 'Possum

Anybody have an idea how I can get rid of the big opossum that's
living under my back porch? I just want her to move somewhere else.

How do I know it's a female? A couple of months ago there were at
least three babies back there. I sprayed some animal repellent and did
not see them again, but now big mama is back (if she ever left at
all).

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Meanie[_7_] July 3rd 17 10:11 PM

Porch 'Possum

On 7/3/2017 4:08 PM, slate_leeper wrote:
Anybody have an idea how I can get rid of the big opossum that's
living under my back porch? I just want her to move somewhere else.

How do I know it's a female? A couple of months ago there were at
least three babies back there. I sprayed some animal repellent and did
not see them again, but now big mama is back (if she ever left at
all).

-dan z-

Dead or alive?

Alive.....use a live capture cage to catch it then dump the bitch far
from home. There are remedies such as ammonia, mothballs, pet hair,
motion activated sprinkler, etc. which apparently keeps them away, but
if you haven't any way of knowing they are under the porch, you can't
proceed with closing the openings. Thus, the cage will ensure you have it.

Dead.....use the same capture cage and BANG. They also have kill traps
but be careful if you have pets roaming outside. You'll have to set it
up where the pets can't go. The same applies for poison.

[email protected] July 3rd 17 11:33 PM

Porch 'Possum

On Mon, 03 Jul 2017 16:08:39 -0400, slate_leeper
wrote:

Anybody have an idea how I can get rid of the big opossum that's
living under my back porch? I just want her to move somewhere else.

How do I know it's a female? A couple of months ago there were at
least three babies back there. I sprayed some animal repellent and did
not see them again, but now big mama is back (if she ever left at
all).

-dan z-

Why not just enclose the porch so it is not such an attractive place
for critters to live?

Frank[_24_] July 3rd 17 11:52 PM

Porch 'Possum

On 7/3/2017 5:11 PM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

Might take the largest Hav-a-hart. I've got one that takes groundhogs
but not big enough for mature raccoons. I think possums can get large.

State laws vary. Here you can catch and kill but not release. I
release anyway.