Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Prehung door doesn't close properly

We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some of the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and closer to
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame and brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...y-1136071-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2017 8:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some of
the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and closer to
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame and
brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

When you say it hits, do you mean it is too tight? Chances are the foam
sealant expanded and pushed in the frame. You'd have to cut out some of
the insulation. It may be possible to plane the door.

It would help if you posted a photo for better understanding.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2017 8:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some of
the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and closer to
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame and
brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

Why did he have to cut the frame?

Since foam sealant was used, I assume an exterior door?

If the door hits the frame at those two points you stated, the foam may
have pushed it out. You can remove the trim to expose the foam, cut some
of it away and nail or screw the frame to the stud to pull it in. I
prefer a screw since you can slowly increase pull to ensure a straighter
frame. Use a long level or yardstick on edge against the frame/door jamb
to view the bow/bulge decrease as you screw it in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 8:14:09 PM UTC-4, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some of the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and closer to
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame and brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

Did you let this guy walk away, paid, after screwing up the installation? Call
him back and tell him to fix it.

What part of the "frame" did he cut? Here's a picture of door and a rough
opening. "Framing" is not a specific term, so what exactly did he cut and
why?

http://thequickdoorhanger.com/wp-con...DOOR-TERMS.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/26/2017 08:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some
of the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and
closer to
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame
and brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

Was the clown you hired wearing an ankle bracelet? Are you ready to hire
someone that knows what the f.u.c.k they're doing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 10:37:54 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 8:14:09 PM UTC-4, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some of the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and closer to
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame and brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

Did you let this guy walk away, paid, after screwing up the installation? Call
him back and tell him to fix it.

And was it hitting before he left? Not sure I buy the expanding
foam thing, seems to me that stuff could find places to expand
to other than pushing in the door trim. But if that's the cause,
I would think it would be done expanding before he left, but
maybe not.

Of course there is also the possibility that the poster realizes
they hired a nitwit and that they just wanted him out of there,
because he'd likely continue to screw up.

And poster said he used shims all over. IDK exactly what that means,
but it's normal to have to shim it in various spots.

What part of the "frame" did he cut? Here's a picture of door and a rough
opening. "Framing" is not a specific term, so what exactly did he cut and
why?

http://thequickdoorhanger.com/wp-con...DOOR-TERMS.jpg

Good question. For all we know he could mean the frame of the new
door.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 05:05:57 -0400, Jack Legg
wrote:

On 06/26/2017 08:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some
of the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and
closer to
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame
and brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

Was the clown you hired wearing an ankle bracelet? Are you ready to hire
someone that knows what the f.u.c.k they're doing?

....and a guy with the correct tools? Done right you don't need
expanding foam. Foam rope works better. You buy a door that fits the
RO, not the other way around :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression

Default SKYHIGH ASKS, "Prehung door doesn't close properly"

"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote in message

On 6/26/2017 5:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some of
the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and closer
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame and
brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

"Prehung?" How the heck can a door be hung before it's hung? That's the
definition of such a thing. Is it something, like the universe, that ain't
got no beginning and no end?

Inquiring minds ask these questions.

whispering willows

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 06/26/2017 08:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some
of the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and
closer to
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame
and brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

Was the clown you hired wearing an ankle bracelet? Are you ready to hire
someone that knows what the f.u.c.k they're doing?

...and a guy with the correct tools? Done right you don't need
expanding foam. Foam rope works better. You buy a door that fits the
RO, not the other way around :-\

The purpose of the foam isn't to take up space to make it fit,
it's to stop air leakage and energy loss. Expanding foam is used
in wall cavities for the same purpose. If you put too much or maybe
use the wrong kind, I guess it could exert enough pressure so that
it binds the door. I don't think using foam by itself indicates that
the guy didn't know what he was doing.

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.slack,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 09:43:36 -0700, "fake vet Colon Edmund J. Burke"
wrote:

On 6/26/2017 5:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some of the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and closer to
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame and brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

"Prehung?" How the heck can a door be hung before it's hung?

By being prehung. Duh!

--
Illuc vadam nisi Dei gratia.

Tu [sic] es [sic] mulieri [sic] nequam [sic] (LOL)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression

On 6/27/2017 9:45 AM, David wrote:

"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote in message

On 6/26/2017 5:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some of
the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and closer
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame and
brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

"Prehung?" How the heck can a door be hung before it's hung? That's the
definition of such a thing. Is it something, like the universe, that
ain't got no beginning and no end?

Inquiring minds ask these questions.

whispering willows

Is that the name of the asylum yer in, little feller??

Hudson Villas

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Bottom line. Foam rope of various sizes will stop air intrusion and
insulate when packed in the cavity. Of the thousands of door and
windows installed, that I've been a part of none needed expanding
foam. Done right with the right tools, there is no wind drafts and it
provides great insulation. The hack installer screwed the pooch. The
door should work properly before walking away. OP hired the wrong man
for the job and maybe trying to save money.

His question: " How can I get this thing fixed properly?" Cut the
door out and start over!

As Derby asked. What part of the RO was cut. I've seen the RO not
match the correct window size. A carpenter on site had to change the
RO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/26/2017 5:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some of the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and closer to
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame and brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

"Prehung?" How the heck can a door be hung before it's hung?

By being prehung. Duh!

--
Illuc vadam nisi Dei gratia.

Tu [sic] es [sic] mulieri [sic] nequam [sic] (LOL)

The kernel has no idea what it is like to be well hung.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 06/26/2017 08:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some
of the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and
closer to
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame
and brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

Was the clown you hired wearing an ankle bracelet? Are you ready to hire
someone that knows what the f.u.c.k they're doing?

...and a guy with the correct tools? Done right you don't need
expanding foam. Foam rope works better. You buy a door that fits the
RO, not the other way around :-\

and you NEVER use high expansion foam for windows or doors . There is
a special foam made for the job that will NOT warp the frames. Gotta
remember when you go for cheap labour you seldom get what you paid for
- - - -.

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.slack,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 09:48:50 -0700, "Mary Riendeau-Shein (no relation

wrote:

On 6/26/2017 5:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some of the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and closer to
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame and brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

"Prehung?" How the heck can a door be hung before it's hung?

By being prehung. Duh!

A :"prehung" door is a door mounted to a finished frame, ready to
carefully stuff into the right sized hole and fasten in place - door,
janb, stops, hinges, and latches (sometimes) all assembled into one
poece. Not Quyite "idiot proof" as the OP has found out. - or mabee
they just found that "better idiot"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've worked for 2 different window companies, dealers for at leat 6
major brands, and ALL of them REQUIRED the use of low expanding foam
in the installation process. They all had a list of several different
brands that were acceptable - There is NO reason mot to use spray foam
insulation when installing windows and doors - and many reasons to use
it. JUST USE THE RIGHT STUFF!!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 13:46:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The kernel has no idea what it is like to be well hung.

The phucin' guy isn't even a vet. Talks **** and can't tell us his
credentials or what hill he fought on.
Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.slack,alt.home.repair

"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote in
:

wrote:

On 6/26/2017 5:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut
some of the frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near
the latch and closer to the bottom. The door has had foam sealant
put in between the frame and brick wall, and been caulked. How
can I get this thing fixed properly?

"Prehung?" How the heck can a door be hung before it's hung?

By being prehung. Duh!

A :"prehung" door is a door mounted to a finished frame, ready to
carefully stuff into the right sized hole and fasten in place - door,
janb, stops, hinges, and latches (sometimes) all assembled into one
poece. Not Quyite "idiot proof" as the OP has found out. - or mabee
they just found that "better idiot"

Thank you for clearing that up. Seriously, I'm an old fashioned wood
worker who couldn't, for the life of me, figure that out. I figgured
it was something like being "preapproved" on a loan, that is being
approved before you're approved. Like that makes any sense.

Try rubbing your two brain cells together to raise your IQ to 1, dumbass.

--
http://imgur.com/a/d5Z4l

ROFL LMAO LOLLITY LOLOL!!!

HAIL BRENNUS!
Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.slack,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/26/2017 5:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some of the
frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and closer to
the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame and brick
wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

"Prehung?" How the heck can a door be hung before it's hung?

By being prehung. Duh!

--
Illuc vadam nisi Dei gratia.

Tu [sic] es [sic] mulieri [sic] nequam [sic] (LOL)

You idiot!

You anus!

--
Illuc nisi Dei gratia.vadam.

Tu [sic] es [sic] mulieri [sic] nequam [sic] (KKKoloon's 'Latin' LOL)

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.slack,alt.home.repair
% % is offline

Burke" wrote:

On 6/26/2017 5:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut
some of the frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near
the latch and closer to the bottom. The door has had foam
sealant put in between the frame and brick wall, and been
caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

"Prehung?" How the heck can a door be hung before it's hung?

By being prehung. Duh!

--
Illuc vadam nisi Dei gratia.

Tu [sic] es [sic] mulieri [sic] nequam [sic] (LOL)

You idiot!

You anus!

LOL

Fake assworm humps my poasts.

LOL , a woman is slapping the **** out of you

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 10:04:39 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 21:01:36 -0400, wrote:

Oren - you need to learn there is more than one right way. The use of
low expoanding foam is/was actually MANDATED by several major door and
window manufacturers - not New Jersey handymen.

Is your hair on fire? What I said in this thread is that I don't use
expanding foam, but use foam rope instead. Show me the "MANDATE" you
speak of "by several major door and window manufacturers".

Clarence- "you need to learn" the difference between a professional
window and door installer contractor from a hack job by a handyman.
The OP has problems because of the foam, and not one single mention
of how the RO was cut, what tools were used, if the RO is square,
walls are plumb, if the foam racked or twisted the door jamb frame.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it (LMAO). Meanie gave a possible
solution.

I worked for two of the best window and door sales and installation
companies in southwestern Ontario - so I'm not getting minformation
from handyman hacks. It's been over 16 years now so I don't have any
of the installation instructions left - but when I installed all the
EuroVinyl (Rehau) windows in my house the instructions specified
exactlay what low expanding foam brands were acceptable.

I have no quarrel with it being a "hack job" that caused the OP's
problem - but I'll stand behind my statement that "low expanding" foam
IS a good way of installing.sealing window and door installations.

see
http://greatstuff.dow.com/product/window-and-door.htm
and http://www.touch-n-foam.com/no-warp.html
for two
Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.slack,alt.home.repair
% % is offline

Burke" wrote:

On 6/26/2017 5:14 PM, skyguy wrote:
We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to
cut some of the frame, and used shims all over. The door
hits near the latch and closer to the bottom. The door has
had foam sealant put in between the frame and brick wall, and
been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

"Prehung?" How the heck can a door be hung before it's hung?

By being prehung. Duh!

--
Illuc vadam nisi Dei gratia.

Tu [sic] es [sic] mulieri [sic] nequam [sic] (LOL)

You idiot!

You anus!

LOL

Fake assworm humps my poasts.

LOL , a woman is slapping the **** out of you

Yeah, sure is. And then you woke up.
LOL

and everyone is seeing you get **** slapped , LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 11:29:49 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 13:16:10 -0400, wrote:

I have no quarrel with it being a "hack job" that caused the OP's
problem - but I'll stand behind my statement that "low expanding" foam
IS a good way of installing.sealing window and door installations.

I have no personal problem with using spray foam if it is the correct
type; applied judicially. I stand by my method and statement of using
foam rope. In the OP's case, the installer screwed the pooch.

Most definitely - whether he used spray foam, foam tape or rope, or
no foam at all. I think I've seen windows and doors badly installed in
just about any way you can imagine over the years - some that
miraculously actually worked, and others that you really had to think
and look more than twice to figure out what the idiot had done that it
DIDN'T work.(everything LOOKED right, butthe whole building was so off
kilter that if it had been installed right, it would have looked all
wrong - - - -.
I remember one service call where when I pulled out my levels and
squares, and documented what I had found, the builder had to come out
and totally replace a complete wall. It was impossible to install the
door system straight, plumb, and square without it looking like it was
hung crooked and out of plumb in every possible direction. Het the
hinge side squared up and the latch side didn't fit. The owner SWARE
we sold him a twisted door untill I presented him with the evidence -
a booklet of pictures showing him how badly out of true the entire
wall was. (a $100,000 renovation about 20 years ago)