DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can a chimney be cleaned from the top only? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/592399-can-chimney-cleaned-top-only.html)

slate_leeper June 23rd 17 10:33 PM

Can a chimney be cleaned from the top only?

My fireplace has an insert in it that fills the entire fireplace with
heavy plate steel. No way to get at the flue. Can this chimney be
cleaned without removing the insert?

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

trader_4 June 23rd 17 11:18 PM

On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 5:32:52 PM UTC-4, slate_leeper wrote:
My fireplace has an insert in it that fills the entire fireplace with
heavy plate steel. No way to get at the flue. Can this chimney be
cleaned without removing the insert?

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.
Join or donate to the NRA today!
http://membership.nrahq.org/default....ignid=XR014887

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Yes, clean it from the top.

Ed Pawlowski June 23rd 17 11:56 PM

On 6/23/2017 5:33 PM, slate_leeper wrote:
My fireplace has an insert in it that fills the entire fireplace with
heavy plate steel. No way to get at the flue. Can this chimney be
cleaned without removing the insert?

-dan z-

What are you going to do with the crap that falls? If you have a bottom
cleanout, yes, it can be cleaned from the top.

Taxed and Spent June 24th 17 04:01 AM

On 6/23/2017 3:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/23/2017 5:33 PM, slate_leeper wrote:
My fireplace has an insert in it that fills the entire fireplace with
heavy plate steel. No way to get at the flue. Can this chimney be
cleaned without removing the insert?

-dan z-

What are you going to do with the crap that falls? If you have a bottom
cleanout, yes, it can be cleaned from the top.

I figure my heirs can worry about that.