Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pressure treated plywood for floor of a metal shed

several people have told me that one should not build a metal shed on pressure
treated plywood base, claim it speeds up rusting of metal, true or
false?.purchased both pressure treated lumber and plywood

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...d-1132886-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2017 3:44 PM, patressa wrote:
several people have told me that one should not build a metal shed on
pressure
treated plywood base, claim it speeds up rusting of metal, true or
false?.purchased both pressure treated lumber and plywood

I don't know about sheds, but some fasteners will corrode from ACQ or CA
treated wood. They are, of course, in direct contact. Perhaps a
barrier of some sort is all you need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 May 2017 16:18:34 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't know about sheds, but some fasteners will corrode from ACQ or CA
treated wood. They are, of course, in direct contact. Perhaps a
barrier of some sort is all you need.

I am really starting to question the concern. I am 3 1/2 years into a
science fair project where I put CaC out in the weather with an
assortment of metals and fasteners. So far I having no signs of
external problems. I will be taking it apart at the 5 year mark to see
what I have.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/PT%20lumber...2010-25-13.jpg
This is a Florida southern exposure to full weather.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 May 2017 16:18:34 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/26/2017 3:44 PM, patressa wrote:
several people have told me that one should not build a metal shed on
pressure
treated plywood base, claim it speeds up rusting of metal, true or
false?.purchased both pressure treated lumber and plywood

I don't know about sheds, but some fasteners will corrode from ACQ or CA
treated wood. They are, of course, in direct contact. Perhaps a
barrier of some sort is all you need.

IF you put a layer of Blue-seal membrane between the shed and the PTP
you should be OK as long as you use hot dip galvanized or stainless
fasteners to hold the shed to the floor. Direct contact of metal to
PTP is not good for the metal (steel or aluminum)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 May 2017 20:01:42 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 26 May 2017 16:18:34 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't know about sheds, but some fasteners will corrode from ACQ or CA
treated wood. They are, of course, in direct contact. Perhaps a
barrier of some sort is all you need.

I am really starting to question the concern. I am 3 1/2 years into a
science fair project where I put CaC out in the weather with an
assortment of metals and fasteners. So far I having no signs of
external problems. I will be taking it apart at the 5 year mark to see
what I have.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/PT%20lumber...2010-25-13.jpg
This is a Florida southern exposure to full weather.

The new ACQ is worse than the old stuff. There are
ceramic coated" deck fasteners that seam to wotk well - otherwize hot
dip galvanized or stainless are highly recommended. A friend's garage
had aluminum cladding in contact with ACQ lumber and it corroded right
through within 3 years. The steel hardware of the garage door is
severely compromized about 7? years after install. The same hardware
on standard SPF lumber is in good shape after 43 years (the house was
8 years old when I bought it 25 years ago)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

ACQ is really not around that much these days. CaC seems to be the PT
of choice for the upland crowd. I live close enough to salt water that
I can still get CCA. 0,6 or 0.8 is going to last for decades if it is
not submerged and 2.5 CCA will do 30+ years in tropical salt water if
you wrap it. That is more like 50 years in direct burial, upland.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 8:02:02 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2017 16:18:34 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't know about sheds, but some fasteners will corrode from ACQ or CA
treated wood. They are, of course, in direct contact. Perhaps a
barrier of some sort is all you need.

I am really starting to question the concern. I am 3 1/2 years into a
science fair project where I put CaC out in the weather with an
assortment of metals and fasteners. So far I having no signs of
external problems. I will be taking it apart at the 5 year mark to see
what I have.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/PT%20lumber...2010-25-13.jpg
This is a Florida southern exposure to full weather.

Common nails, aluminum nails and toe nails, oh my!