DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   storing paint (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/590058-storing-paint.html)

[email protected] May 14th 17 01:25 PM

storing paint

How can I store latex paint for 1 year + without it going bad?

philo May 14th 17 03:03 PM

storing paint

On 05/14/2017 07:25 AM, wrote:
How can I store latex paint for 1 year + without it going bad?

If it's sealed properly it will last for many years.

I store mine in a cool basement and even ten years later it's good.

Needs to be stirred well of course.

I found out the hard way that it one stores it for longer, the bottom of
the can will rust out. I notice some cans have a plastic bottom though.

[email protected] May 14th 17 07:25 PM

storing paint

On Sun, 14 May 2017 05:25:18 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

How can I store latex paint for 1 year + without it going bad?

Same way I store it without going bad for 5 or 6 (or more - I have
sone 10 and 12 year old latex that is still as good as new). Close the
lid tight in a small can. If I have a quart or 2 left from a gallon I
pour it off into quart cans.

.. To stretch it even farther fill the can with CO2 or nitrogen or an
inert gas. - anything that will displace oxygen.
Some people take a thin plastic bag or film and put it down into the
can as close to the surface of the paint as possible and seal it with
the lid to keep the air in the can away from the paint.

[email protected] May 14th 17 07:30 PM

storing paint

On Sun, 14 May 2017 09:03:45 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/14/2017 07:25 AM, wrote:
How can I store latex paint for 1 year + without it going bad?

If it's sealed properly it will last for many years.

I store mine in a cool basement and even ten years later it's good.

Needs to be stirred well of course.

I found out the hard way that it one stores it for longer, the bottom of
the can will rust out. I notice some cans have a plastic bottom though.

I buy the polymer lined cans from my local paint store to save
leftovers (buy liter or quart cans to save leftovers from gallons -
pints for smaller amounts.)

philo May 16th 17 01:20 AM

storing paint

wrote:
How can I store latex paint for 1 year + without it going bad?

If it's sealed properly it will last for many years.

I store mine in a cool basement and even ten years later it's good.

Needs to be stirred well of course.

I found out the hard way that it one stores it for longer, the bottom of
the can will rust out. I notice some cans have a plastic bottom though.

I buy the polymer lined cans from my local paint store to save
leftovers (buy liter or quart cans to save leftovers from gallons -
pints for smaller amounts.)

I had a can down there for a damn long time and did not realize the
bottom had a small leak in it until I got it halfway up the stairs.

The very act of lifting it must have caused it to let loose.

I was going to say that fortunately it was latex paint and I got 99% of
it cleaned up...but had it been oil paint the bottom would not have
rusted out

[email protected] May 16th 17 02:19 AM

storing paint

wrote:
[...]

Don't count on it. Ifleft on a concrete cloor, condensation CAN rust
the bottom of the can from the outside in. Oil pansrust through even
when full of oil.

philo May 16th 17 03:54 AM

storing paint

wrote:
[...]

I suppose so, but I have a pint somewhere so old that it's lead
paint...no sign of rust.