Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I do the opposite of oiling?

More apartment problems.

So how can I do the opposite of oiling, between a nylon sleeve and a
chrome plated steel sleeve or rod. .

My landlady's bathroom has a European style toilet seat, which has
started coming apart.

The attachment mechanism consists of two 3/8" srrews that go into the
standard holes in the porcelain, and bend 90^ toward the outside just
above the toilet. The seat uses a fairly clever combination of an
outer and inner sleeve (on both sides) to keep the seat in place
normally, but allow it to be removed easily for cleaning and
replacement.

The seat doesn't look as old as the apartment (1979) but it's not new
either afaik and she has not realized it can be removed for cleaning.
She doesn't always do it, but she likes cleaning, so when it sinks in
how the seat works, it will be a day of happiness for her.

However, the inner sleeve on the right bolt has taken to sliding to
the side by itself, and this disconnects the seat lid from the bolt.

If it were stuck I might oil it, but this is the opposite problem.
How to make this metal against nylon sleeve stop sliding.

If I could, I would pinch the ciruclar sleeve so it was tighter
against the bolt, but I don't think that will work. The nylon sleeve
wont' stay pinched and the metal sleeve is too brittle

So how can I do t he opposite of oiling, between a nylon sleeve and a
chrome plated steel sleeve or rod?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 4:16:47 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
[...]

Just a dab will do ya...peels off easy when you need to remove the seat.

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Corning.../dp/B008R14Q9A

Crosscut Shredder Oiling Jason Bourne[_4_] Home Repair 16 March 11th 13 01:06 PM
Oiling a fan ransley Home Repair 4 August 31st 10 02:00 AM
Oiling air tools Proctologically Violated©®[_2_] Metalworking 6 July 15th 09 01:58 PM
Oiling a Floor? Rob Home Repair 6 January 4th 06 09:45 PM
Oiling floorboards Kalico UK diy 3 December 3rd 04 11:02 PM