Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric saw on a pole for pruning trees

I have a few dead branches in one of my 50-year old maple trees. Rather than climbing up on a very tall ladder to access the branches, I am thinking about renting an electric saw on a pole to do the job.

I am fairly handy and always do my own tree stuff, but this would be a new experience for me and I am looking for some ideas and thoughts from the folks here who maybe have used such a tool.

Polite comments please.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Had sim concerns. My Fiskar pole pruner blade dulled, and all the blades I
got from Amazon weren't exactly the same. I get quotes of five grand per
tree for pros to cut or trim.

FOund that in 1960s they proposed using lasers for pruning. I guess you
could get a laser for $100 and put it on a pole, provided the cord doesn't
exacerbate things. It's time for some innovation here.

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 11:12:17 PM UTC-5, danny burstein wrote:

the GM "Futurama" exhibit at the Queens World's Fair
in 1964/65 had a diorama type exhibit portraying
lasers yes, cutting trees...

*whew*, I remember that from five decades ago
but what did I have for breakfast?

Prunes?

:-))
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 12:01:48 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Had sim concerns. My Fiskar pole pruner blade dulled, and all the blades I
got from Amazon weren't exactly the same. I get quotes of five grand per
tree for pros to cut or trim.

FOund that in 1960s they proposed using lasers for pruning. I guess you
could get a laser for $100 and put it on a pole, provided the cord doesn't
exacerbate things. It's time for some innovation here.

But not for $100. My husband has a degree in electro-optics, and has
been working with lasers all his career. His first jobs was with
industrial lasers. He says "Unlikely it would work, and the FAA would
have something to say about it."

Full credit for imaginative thinking, though.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

In DerbyDad03 writes:

the GM "Futurama" exhibit at the Queens World's Fair
in 1964/65 had a diorama type exhibit portraying
lasers yes, cutting trees...

I grew up 1 block away from the 64/65 Worlld's Fair.

For 2 years prior to the opening I listened to them pound piles into the swamps of what is
now Flushing Meadows Park so they could build the exhibits.

We got our revenge by spending the next 2 years sneaking into the fair through holes we
cut in the fence.

You should have swiped one of the Amphicars...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 6:40:23 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 12:01:48 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Had sim concerns. My Fiskar pole pruner blade dulled, and all the blades I
got from Amazon weren't exactly the same. I get quotes of five grand per
tree for pros to cut or trim.

FOund that in 1960s they proposed using lasers for pruning. I guess you
could get a laser for $100 and put it on a pole, provided the cord doesn't
exacerbate things. It's time for some innovation here.

But not for $100. My husband has a degree in electro-optics, and has
been working with lasers all his career. His first jobs was with
industrial lasers. He says "Unlikely it would work, and the FAA would
have something to say about it."

Full credit for imaginative thinking, though.

Cindy Hamilton

Idiotic kids, adults and drunks have been aiming powerful laser pointers at passenger planes and helicopters often interfering with the pilot's vision.. Jail time cures them of that of the stupidity. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://mentalfloss.com/article/65424...inter-aircraft

https://tinyurl.com/ljqwrfj

[8~{} Uncle Flashy Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-05-07, danny burstein wrote:

You should have swiped one of the Amphicars...

I went to that. Traveled from CA to NY when I was 14 yrs old. Didn't
see tha "amphicar" rides, but saw the Mopar Turbine Car. Amphicars
are still around. Try and find a turbine powered car.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 May 2017, slate_leeper wrote:

I've been using a Black & Decker 18v model. I guess the new ones are
"20" volt. Anyhow, compared to using the Fiskar manual blade, this
thing was a lifesaver. Much more work in the same amount of time, and
a lot less tiring. I got mine from Amazon.

This one looks kind of neat:
https://www.amazon.com/EcoPro-Tools-.../dp/B01066ZJ1C

No reviews yet, so I presume it is a new model.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 07 May 2017, slate_leeper wrote:

I've been using a Black & Decker 18v model. I guess the new ones are
"20" volt. Anyhow, compared to using the Fiskar manual blade, this
thing was a lifesaver. Much more work in the same amount of time, and
a lot less tiring. I got mine from Amazon.

This one looks kind of neat:
https://www.amazon.com/EcoPro-Tools-.../dp/B01066ZJ1C

No reviews yet, so I presume it is a new model.

I bought one of the 120 volt AC pole saws. I think it is a Remington.
The saw will come off if I want to use it without the pole. Works well.
My problem is that if I extend it out all the weight makes it hard for
me to hold. I am not sure how it would work, but I think a handle
sticking down about 2 or 3 feet from the end with a switch on it would
make it easier to use.

I later bought one of the Harbor Freight $ 88 generators to use it when
I was away from the house. That works out well except I am almost wore
out by the time I get that generator started. The little generator has
a reputation of being hard to start. I even changed to a 'quality'
spark plug as recommended on one of the Youtube videos.

Do buy some kind of eye protection that wraps around your eyes so the
wood chips don't get in the eyes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-05-07, danny burstein wrote:

You should have swiped one of the Amphicars...

I went to that. Traveled from CA to NY when I was 14 yrs old. Didn't
see tha "amphicar" rides, but saw the Mopar Turbine Car. Amphicars
are still around. Try and find a turbine powered car.

nb

I remember seeing you there playing with the touch tone phone at the
Bell Telephone display.

I did see a turbine car on TV a while back. Forget the details, but I
think it is the only one left.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 May 2017 18:06:19 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

buy a can of "quick start" -aka ether - and it will start first pull
virtually every time I drill a 1/8" hole in the air filter housing-
and use the "straw" nozzle from a can of WD40 to give it just a whiff
of ether before pulling the rope on hard starting equipment. You can
do it with aerosol WD40 too - it works but not quite as well ( I think
they use butane or propane as propellent)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/07/2017 11:33 AM, slate_leeper wrote:

[snip]

I've been using a Black & Decker 18v model. I guess the new ones are
"20" volt. Anyhow, compared to using the Fiskar manual blade, this
thing was a lifesaver. Much more work in the same amount of time, and
a lot less tiring. I got mine from Amazon.

some are "20V max". They're not 20V except immediately after charging,
so for the most part 20V is a lie.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"'Dear friends, -- Man has created God, not God man. Yours ever,
Garibaldi.'" -- entire text of letter