DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How do I wire a four outlet recepical when I have two red, black,white and green wires (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/589485-how-do-i-wire-four-outlet-recepical-when-i-have-two-red-black-white-green-wires.html)

[email protected] April 30th 17 09:35 PM

How do I wire a four outlet recepical when I have two red, black,white and green wires

Both black wires appeared to be hot when I tested them. Then I noticed the two red wires. This was an unused junction box in the ceiling of my garage. I have two two outlet receptacles. Only one of the black wires should be hot right?

Ralph Mowery April 30th 17 09:58 PM

How do I wire a four outlet recepical when I have two red, black, white and green wires

In article ,
says...

Both black wires appeared to be hot when I tested them. Then I noticed the two red wires. This was an unused junction box in the ceiling of my garage. I have two two outlet receptacles. Only one of the black wires should be hot right?

The first step is to try and determine if the black wires are fed from
the same breker.

Turn off one breaker or remove one fuse at a time to find out if only
one or if both of the black wires have power. This shold tell you if
they are fed from the same source.

You did not mention any white wires which you should have.

YOu did not say anything about the red wires having power. Normally for
recepticals black is one side of the 240 volts, red is the other and
white is the neutrral. Check from the black to the red wire to see if
you have the nominal 240 volts. If so Do the same breker off thing to
determine if they are fed from the same source.

If no power on the red wiires, you can try going back to the breaker box
and seeing if for some reason the red wires were used for the neutral,
which should never be done.

philo May 1st 17 02:46 AM

On 04/30/2017 03:35 PM, wrote:
Both black wires appeared to be hot when I tested them. Then I noticed the two red wires. This was an unused junction box in the ceiling of my garage. I have two two outlet receptacles. Only one of the black wires should be hot right?

White is cold.

green (if present is ground)

all other colors are hot such as black , red, blue & yellow

DerbyDad03 May 1st 17 11:56 AM

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 9:46:17 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 04/30/2017 03:35 PM, wrote:
Both black wires appeared to be hot when I tested them. Then I noticed the two red wires. This was an unused junction box in the ceiling of my garage. I have two two outlet receptacles. Only one of the black wires should be hot right?

White is cold.

green (if present is ground)

all other colors are hot such as black , red, blue & yellow

Replace your "is" and "are" with "should be".

We really don't know how the OP's box is wired.

P.S. The term is "nuetral" not "cold".

trader_4 May 1st 17 04:20 PM

On 04/30/2017 03:35 PM, wrote:
Both black wires appeared to be hot when I tested them. Then I noticed the two red wires. This was an unused junction box in the ceiling of my garage. I have two two outlet receptacles. Only one of the black wires should be hot right?

White is cold.

green (if present is ground)

all other colors are hot such as black , red, blue & yellow

Replace your "is" and "are" with "should be".

We really don't know how the OP's box is wired.

P.S. The term is "nuetral" not "cold".

It's not clear what the total wire count is, but it sounds
like two of each of those colors? If so, he has a lot of wires
going into one unused ceiling box. Possible that either the
black or the red are switched, the others permanently hot.

philo May 1st 17 04:22 PM

On 04/30/2017 03:35 PM, wrote:
Both black wires appeared to be hot when I tested them. Then I noticed the two red wires. This was an unused junction box in the ceiling of my garage. I have two two outlet receptacles. Only one of the black wires should be hot right?

White is cold.

green (if present is ground)

all other colors are hot such as black , red, blue & yellow

Replace your "is" and "are" with "should be".

We really don't know how the OP's box is wired.

P.S. The term is "nuetral" not "cold".

Ok perfectionist you are right!

[email protected] May 1st 17 05:11 PM

How do I wire a four outlet recepical when I have two red, black, white and green wires

On 04/30/2017 03:35 PM, wrote:
Both black wires appeared to be hot when I tested them. Then I noticed the two red wires. This was an unused junction box in the ceiling of my garage. I have two two outlet receptacles. Only one of the black wires should be hot right?

White is cold.

green (if present is ground)

all other colors are hot such as black , red, blue & yellow

Replace your "is" and "are" with "should be".

We really don't know how the OP's box is wired.

P.S. The term is "nuetral" not "cold".

It's not clear what the total wire count is, but it sounds
like two of each of those colors? If so, he has a lot of wires
going into one unused ceiling box. Possible that either the
black or the red are switched, the others permanently hot.

We are far from having enough information to do more than offer a wild
assed guess.

burfordTjustice May 1st 17 09:27 PM

trader_4 wrote:

Possible that either the
black or the red are switched, the others permanently hot.

Really? WTF ebay man?

DerbyDad03 May 2nd 17 01:13 AM

On 04/30/2017 03:35 PM, wrote:
Both black wires appeared to be hot when I tested them. Then I noticed the two red wires. This was an unused junction box in the ceiling of my garage. I have two two outlet receptacles. Only one of the black wires should be hot right?

White is cold.

green (if present is ground)

all other colors are hot such as black , red, blue & yellow

Replace your "is" and "are" with "should be".

We really don't know how the OP's box is wired.

P.S. The term is "nuetral" not "cold".

Ok perfectionist you are right!

It's less about being a perfectionist and more about making sure we give the
OP the correct information. The main point of my response - other than the

philo May 2nd 17 01:57 AM

On 04/30/2017 03:35 PM, wrote:
Both black wires appeared to be hot when I tested them. Then I noticed the two red wires. This was an unused junction box in the ceiling of my garage. I have two two outlet receptacles. Only one of the black wires should be hot right?

White is cold.

green (if present is ground)

all other colors are hot such as black , red, blue & yellow

Replace your "is" and "are" with "should be".

We really don't know how the OP's box is wired.

P.S. The term is "nuetral" not "cold".

Ok perfectionist you are right!

It's less about being a perfectionist and more about making sure we give the
OP the correct information. The main point of my response - other than the
P.S. of course ;-) - is exactly what Greg said:

"We are far from having enough information to do more than offer a wild
assed guess."

Especially since he did not mention and white wires.

Willie T Fornicator May 2nd 17 02:05 AM

On 4/30/2017 4:35 PM, wrote:
Both black wires appeared to be hot when I tested them. Then I noticed the two red wires. This was an unused junction box in the ceiling of my garage. I have two two outlet receptacles. Only one of the black wires should be hot right?

So the bond to j-box ground terminal red wires tested black screw ceiling appeared recepicals four garage only two two unused noticed appeared right?

DerbyDad03 May 2nd 17 02:10 AM

On 04/30/2017 03:35 PM, wrote:
[...]

Read the subject line.

DerbyDad03 May 2nd 17 02:12 AM

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 9:06:06 PM UTC-4, Willie T Fornicator wrote:
On 4/30/2017 4:35 PM, wrote:
Both black wires appeared to be hot when I tested them. Then I noticed the two red wires. This was an unused junction box in the ceiling of my garage. I have two two outlet receptacles. Only one of the black wires should be hot right?

So the bond to j-box ground terminal red wires tested black screw ceiling appeared recepicals four garage only two two unused noticed appeared right?

Wires red receptacle two bond appeared notice switch floor pipe lug shed. Thanks!

philo May 2nd 17 02:14 AM

On 05/01/2017 08:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Especially since he did not mention and white wires.

Read the subject line.

Time for a nap, I did not have my news reader open full screen and that
part was cut off.

[email protected] May 2nd 17 03:06 AM

How do I wire a four outlet recepical when I have two red, black, white and green wires

On Mon, 1 May 2017 18:10:22 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Especially since he did not mention and white wires.

Read the subject line.

If I saw 2 reds nutted together, 2 blacks nutted together and 2 whites
nutted together I would guess I was looking at a 3 way switch circuit.
Using a digital meter there is enough capacitive coupling that all but
the whites would look hot.
Ceiling boxes to tend to be junction boxes even when they have
luminaires hanging from them. It is just too handy a place in the
middle of the room for sparky to ignore and it is usually a pretty big
box even though they tend to get over filled.
Guessing what is going on can be a crap shoot.

Uncle Monster[_2_] May 2nd 17 10:16 AM

wrote:

Especially since he did not mention and white wires.

Read the subject line.

If I saw 2 reds nutted together, 2 blacks nutted together and 2 whites
nutted together I would guess I was looking at a 3 way switch circuit.
Using a digital meter there is enough capacitive coupling that all but
the whites would look hot.
Ceiling boxes to tend to be junction boxes even when they have
luminaires hanging from them. It is just too handy a place in the
middle of the room for sparky to ignore and it is usually a pretty big
box even though they tend to get over filled.
Guessing what is going on can be a crap shoot.

An incandescent test light is always something to have in the test equipment collection. I made my own with a rubber weather proof pigtail socket, a pair of insulated alligator clips and 100W rough service silicone covered bulb which I think is still available. My amp clamp/multimeter had a built in noncontact voltage detector which also came in handy. Since I also serviced telecom and data systems I used a cable toner to trace electrical power wiring. I even had a breaker finder that worked on live circuits without having to use what me and my brother called,"The Jesus Method." That's where you take a hot and neutral/ground, turn your face away, touch the wires together and shout "JESUS!" when the arc from the short circuit makes a loud KAPOW!. You then go look for a tripped breaker. In an industrial setting where 440vac is used, hearing and eye protection is recommended.ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Crazed Monster

Diesel May 2nd 17 08:57 PM

How do I wire a four outlet recepical when I have two red, black, white and green wires

Sun, 30
Apr 2017 20:35:20 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Both black wires appeared to be hot when I tested them. Then I
noticed the two red wires. This was an unused junction box in the
ceiling of my garage. I have two two outlet receptacles. Only one
of the black wires should be hot right?

You don't seem to know what you're doing, AND, you haven't provided
enough information for anyone to really be able to advise you. That
being said, I'd suggest you call an electrician to do this for you. Not
only for your own personal safety, but, so you don't cause a fire and
potentially burn your garage down, and, your house as well if it's
attached. You didn't provide us that information, either.

Diesel May 2nd 17 08:57 PM

How do I wire a four outlet recepical when I have two red, black, white and green wires

philo Mon, 01
May 2017 01:46:14 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/30/2017 03:35 PM, wrote:
Both black wires appeared to be hot when I tested them. Then I
noticed the two red wires. This was an unused junction box in
the ceiling of my garage. I have two two outlet receptacles.
Only one of the black wires should be hot right?

White is cold.

It's neutral. And, that is NOT set in stone, either.

green (if present is ground)

all other colors are hot such as black , red, blue & yellow

Erm, without knowing more about the wiring configuration itself, you
shouldn't assume that to be true. Electricity is color blind. And, the
op should call a licensed electrician to assist them, because, they
don't seem to know what they're doing or the risk/danger they could be
placing not only themselves in, but, their property as well.

David B.[_4_] May 2nd 17 11:40 PM

On 04/30/2017 03:35 PM, wrote:
Both black wires appeared to be hot when I tested them. Then I
noticed the two red wires. This was an unused junction box in
the ceiling of my garage. I have two two outlet receptacles.
Only one of the black wires should be hot right?

White is cold.

It's neutral. And, that is NOT set in stone, either.

green (if present is ground)

all other colors are hot such as black , red, blue & yellow

Erm, without knowing more about the wiring configuration itself, you
shouldn't assume that to be true. Electricity is color blind. And, the
op should call a licensed electrician to assist them, because, they
don't seem to know what they're doing or the risk/danger they could be
placing not only themselves in, but, their property as well.

+1 IAWTP

--
The only people who make a difference are the people who believe they can.