DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Invasion of Fruit flies (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/588395-invasion-fruit-flies.html)

Andy[_35_] April 2nd 17 10:33 PM

Invasion of Fruit flies

This seem trivial, but it really isn't.

I have a big problem with fruit flies and I can NOT get rid of them.

This is what I have tried.

1. Keeping garbage lids closed.

2. Spraying them and garbage with an ammonia solution

3. Mild cursing and harsh language :-)

4. Washing all fruits with a mild bleach solution

Any one with some other ideas ?

If Alfred Hitchcock was still alive, he could make a great movie about this.

Thanks,
Andy

[email protected] April 2nd 17 10:41 PM

Invasion of Fruit flies

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 2:33:27 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
This seem trivial, but it really isn't.

I have a big problem with fruit flies and I can NOT get rid of them.

This is what I have tried.

1. Keeping garbage lids closed.

2. Spraying them and garbage with an ammonia solution

3. Mild cursing and harsh language :-)

4. Washing all fruits with a mild bleach solution

Any one with some other ideas ?

If Alfred Hitchcock was still alive, he could make a great movie about this.

Thanks,
Andy

A source is drawing them and could fruit that is on the ground and starting to rot.

Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at Law April 2nd 17 11:22 PM

Invasion of Fruit flies

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 5:33:27 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
This seem trivial, but it really isn't.

I have a big problem with fruit flies and I can NOT get rid of them.

This is what I have tried.

1. Keeping garbage lids closed.

2. Spraying them and garbage with an ammonia solution

3. Mild cursing and harsh language :-)

4. Washing all fruits with a mild bleach solution

Any one with some other ideas ?

If Alfred Hitchcock was still alive, he could make a great movie about this.

Thanks,
Andy

They like fruity damp surfaces. Is your brain wet?

[email protected] April 3rd 17 12:10 AM

Invasion of Fruit flies

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 3:22:18 PM UTC-7, Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at Law wrote:
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 5:33:27 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
This seem trivial, but it really isn't.

I have a big problem with fruit flies and I can NOT get rid of them.

This is what I have tried.

1. Keeping garbage lids closed.

2. Spraying them and garbage with an ammonia solution

3. Mild cursing and harsh language :-)

4. Washing all fruits with a mild bleach solution

Any one with some other ideas ?

If Alfred Hitchcock was still alive, he could make a great movie about this.

Thanks,
Andy

They like fruity damp surfaces. Is your brain wet?

Still wishing you had a brain?

Ed Pawlowski April 3rd 17 12:33 AM

Invasion of Fruit flies

On 4/2/2017 5:33 PM, Andy wrote:
This seem trivial, but it really isn't.

I have a big problem with fruit flies and I can NOT get rid of them.

This is what I have tried.

1. Keeping garbage lids closed.

2. Spraying them and garbage with an ammonia solution

3. Mild cursing and harsh language :-)

4. Washing all fruits with a mild bleach solution

Any one with some other ideas ?

If Alfred Hitchcock was still alive, he could make a great movie about this.

Thanks,
Andy

Good start, but they reproduce rapidly and lay eggs so if you get rid of
them today, you get them again next week. Trap and kill them. Takes a
good week or two to be rid of them.

Get two or three small jars, just 8 oz of so is good. Pit some apple
cider vinegar in them, just a quarter full. Cover with plastic wrap.
Poke a hole about the size of your thumb. Place them in the area the
flies have been found. Freshen after 4 or 5 days. Repeat until they
are gone.

Andy[_35_] April 3rd 17 01:16 AM

Invasion of Fruit flies

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 4:41:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 2:33:27 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
This seem trivial, but it really isn't.

I have a big problem with fruit flies and I can NOT get rid of them.

This is what I have tried.

1. Keeping garbage lids closed.

2. Spraying them and garbage with an ammonia solution

3. Mild cursing and harsh language :-)

4. Washing all fruits with a mild bleach solution

Any one with some other ideas ?

If Alfred Hitchcock was still alive, he could make a great movie about this.

Thanks,
Andy

A source is drawing them and could fruit that is on the ground and starting to rot.

There is no fruit anywhere.

Andy

Andy[_35_] April 3rd 17 01:18 AM

Invasion of Fruit flies

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 6:33:56 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/2/2017 5:33 PM, Andy wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I will try anything.

Even an exorcism. :-)

Andy

Ed Pawlowski April 3rd 17 01:47 AM

Invasion of Fruit flies

On 4/2/2017 5:33 PM, Andy wrote:
[...]

One thing I did not mention, be sure to clean around the sink drain.
They often find their way there and breed.

wg_2002[_2_] April 3rd 17 02:05 AM

Invasion of Fruit flies

On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 17:16:48 -0700, Andy wrote:

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 4:41:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 2:33:27 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
This seem trivial, but it really isn't.

I have a big problem with fruit flies and I can NOT get rid of them.

This is what I have tried.

1. Keeping garbage lids closed.

2. Spraying them and garbage with an ammonia solution

3. Mild cursing and harsh language :-)

4. Washing all fruits with a mild bleach solution

Any one with some other ideas ?

If Alfred Hitchcock was still alive, he could make a great movie
about this.

Thanks,
Andy

A source is drawing them and could fruit that is on the ground and
starting to rot.

There is no fruit anywhere.

Andy

Do have any house plants? Sometimes they can burrow down into the soil.
We had an infestation when my son left a half eaten pear in his room. The
only thing that finally did the trick was leaving out some sweet red wine
in a glass.

Dean Hoffman[_12_] April 3rd 17 03:37 AM

Invasion of Fruit flies

On 4/2/17 4:33 PM, Andy wrote:
This seem trivial, but it really isn't.

I have a big problem with fruit flies and I can NOT get rid of them.

This is what I have tried.

1. Keeping garbage lids closed.

2. Spraying them and garbage with an ammonia solution

3. Mild cursing and harsh language :-)

4. Washing all fruits with a mild bleach solution

Any one with some other ideas ?

If Alfred Hitchcock was still alive, he could make a great movie about this.

Thanks,
Andy

Fly paper, fly strips? A quick search showed some home made ones.

songbird April 3rd 17 06:43 AM

Invasion of Fruit flies

Andy wrote:

This seem trivial, but it really isn't.

I have a big problem with fruit flies and I can NOT get rid of them.

This is what I have tried.

1. Keeping garbage lids closed.

2. Spraying them and garbage with an ammonia solution

3. Mild cursing and harsh language :-)

4. Washing all fruits with a mild bleach solution

Any one with some other ideas ?

If Alfred Hitchcock was still alive, he could make a great movie about this.

maybe fungus gnats instead of fruit flies?

if you don't have fruit around for them to
use.

songbird

dadiOH[_7_] April 3rd 17 01:16 PM

Invasion of Fruit flies

"Andy" wrote in message

A source is drawing them and could fruit that is on the ground and
starting to rot.

There is no fruit anywhere.

In which case, perhaps your flies are drain flies rather than fruit flies.

hah[_4_] April 3rd 17 10:19 PM

Invasion of Fruit flies

On 04/03/2017 07:16 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message

A source is drawing them and could fruit that is on the ground and
starting to rot.

There is no fruit anywhere.

In which case, perhaps your flies are drain flies rather than fruit flies.

Once I heard:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Andy[_35_] April 3rd 17 10:24 PM

Invasion of Fruit flies

Andy wrote:

This seem trivial, but it really isn't.

I have a big problem with fruit flies and I can NOT get rid of them.

This is what I have tried.

1. Keeping garbage lids closed.

2. Spraying them and garbage with an ammonia solution

3. Mild cursing and harsh language :-)

4. Washing all fruits with a mild bleach solution

Any one with some other ideas ?

If Alfred Hitchcock was still alive, he could make a great movie
about this.

Thanks,
Andy

DDT

I do miss DDT.

It worked great.

Andy[_35_] April 3rd 17 11:51 PM

Invasion of Fruit flies

On 4/2/2017 5:33 PM, Andy wrote:
[...]

Thanks, the vinegar trap is working. :-)

3 dead so far.

Andy

Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at Law April 4th 17 02:37 AM

Invasion of Fruit flies

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 7:10:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 3:22:18 PM UTC-7, Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at Law wrote:
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 5:33:27 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
This seem trivial, but it really isn't.

I have a big problem with fruit flies and I can NOT get rid of them.

This is what I have tried.

1. Keeping garbage lids closed.

2. Spraying them and garbage with an ammonia solution

3. Mild cursing and harsh language :-)

4. Washing all fruits with a mild bleach solution

Any one with some other ideas ?

If Alfred Hitchcock was still alive, he could make a great movie about this.

Thanks,
Andy

They like fruity damp surfaces. Is your brain wet?

Still wishing you had a brain?

Yes.
I found your hideout

Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at Law April 4th 17 11:46 AM

Invasion of Fruit flies

http://www.eatliver.com/filth/

Andy[_35_] April 5th 17 04:54 AM

Invasion of Fruit flies

On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 5:47:05 AM UTC-5, Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at Law wrote:
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 7:10:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 3:22:18 PM UTC-7, Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at Law wrote:
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 5:33:27 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
This seem trivial, but it really isn't.

I have a big problem with fruit flies and I can NOT get rid of them.

This is what I have tried.

1. Keeping garbage lids closed.

2. Spraying them and garbage with an ammonia solution

3. Mild cursing and harsh language :-)

4. Washing all fruits with a mild bleach solution

Any one with some other ideas ?

If Alfred Hitchcock was still alive, he could make a great movie about this.

Thanks,
Andy

They like fruity damp surfaces. Is your brain wet?

Still wishing you had a brain?

I found your hideout
http://www.eatliver.com/filth/

Clear picture of your room.