Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water is yellow after draining hot water heater

So a couple weeks back I decided to drain my hot water heater. Ever since
then the hot water comes out with a yellow tint. Any idea why this would
happen?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would drain it again. Let is settle after refilling. Fill slow. Probably suspended particles. Or try turning off the heat and let run full faucet for a couple hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 1:20:31 AM UTC-7, Thomas wrote:
I would drain it again. Let is settle after refilling. Fill slow. Probably suspended particles. Or try turning off the heat and let run full faucet for a couple hours.

I used your last option. Flushing worked for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 01:20:27 -0700, Thomas wrote:

I would drain it again. Let is settle after refilling. Fill slow.
Probably suspended particles. Or try turning off the heat and let run
full faucet for a couple hours.

OK. Thanks for the info. I will try your suggestions and see if they
help. If they don't it might be time for a new hot water heater...:/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 14:02:02 -0000 (UTC), wg_2002
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 01:20:27 -0700, Thomas wrote:

I would drain it again. Let is settle after refilling. Fill slow.
Probably suspended particles. Or try turning off the heat and let run
full faucet for a couple hours.

OK. Thanks for the info. I will try your suggestions and see if they
help. If they don't it might be time for a new hot water heater...:/

Sometimes a dose of Vinegar or Rost-off (or CLR - domestic rust stain
remover) will do the job by removing whatever rust stains are left on
the heater walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 01:20:27 -0700, Thomas wrote:

I would drain it again. Let is settle after refilling. Fill slow.
Probably suspended particles. Or try turning off the heat and let run
full faucet for a couple hours.

OK. Thanks for the info. I will try your suggestions and see if they
help. If they don't it might be time for a new hot water heater...:/

The water color can be rust. I don't drain my water heater or open
the PRV on it. My house here was vacant for six months during a
remodel. Sure enough, filling the new tub had rusted water. My pipes
are PEX. The heater was on the edge and went bad. New one fixed to
color water problem. YMMV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 01:20:27 -0700, Thomas wrote:

I would drain it again. Let is settle after refilling. Fill slow.
Probably suspended particles. Or try turning off the heat and let run
full faucet for a couple hours.

OK. Thanks for the info. I will try your suggestions and see if they
help. If they don't it might be time for a new hot water heater...:/

The water color can be rust. I don't drain my water heater or open the
PRV on it. My house here was vacant for six months during a remodel.
Sure enough, filling the new tub had rusted water. My pipes are PEX.
The heater was on the edge and went bad. New one fixed to color water
problem. YMMV.

I don't think it's rust. Rust in the water has a more orange color to it
which I'm familiar with but this is distinctively yellow in color.
I hope it is not the hot water heater going bad. It's a bad time of year
for me to install a new one...
Anyway, I haven't had a chance to try any of Thomas' suggestions yet but I
hope to tonight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What color from all? Yellow yellow needs testing. Now. Shut it down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 3:09:42 AM UTC-5, wg_2002 wrote:
So a couple weeks back I decided to drain my hot water heater. Ever since
then the hot water comes out with a yellow tint. Any idea why this would
happen?

Why would you heat hot water? Are you making steam? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Wet Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 2:30:09 AM UTC-7, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 3:09:42 AM UTC-5, wg_2002 wrote:
So a couple weeks back I decided to drain my hot water heater. Ever since
then the hot water comes out with a yellow tint. Any idea why this would
happen?

Why would you heat hot water? Are you making steam? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Wet Monster

Try reading the story and understanding what he said.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 08:06:39 -0000 (UTC), wg_2002
wrote:

So a couple weeks back I decided to drain my hot water heater. Ever since
then the hot water comes out with a yellow tint. Any idea why this would
happen?

URINE

Posted to alt.home.repair

wg_2002 wrote:

So a couple weeks back I decided to drain my hot water heater. Ever
since then the hot water comes out with a yellow tint. Any idea why
this would happen?

Get an American made heater not one from China!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 4:09:42 AM UTC-4, wg_2002 wrote:
So a couple weeks back I decided to drain my hot water heater. Ever since
then the hot water comes out with a yellow tint. Any idea why this would
happen?

Are you sure it is not gold?