DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   hose faucet question: hose bibbs versus sillcocks (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/58569-hose-faucet-question-hose-bibbs-versus-sillcocks.html)

pat June 8th 04 06:54 PM

hose faucet question: hose bibbs versus sillcocks

Why do "hose bibbs" typically have round handles and "sillcocks" all seem to
have a tee handle? (see
http://www.cornerhardware.com/cat_42...ill-Cocks.html)

I have to replace my garden hose faucet and it's apparent that I need a
sillcock with its male pipe thread. My current (leaking) valve has a round
handle, can the tee handle on a sillcock be replaced with the round handle?
Thanks!

Jeff Wisnia June 9th 04 02:23 AM

pat wrote:

Why do "hose bibbs" typically have round handles and "sillcocks" all seem to
have a tee handle? (see
http://www.cornerhardware.com/cat_42...ill-Cocks.html)

I have to replace my garden hose faucet and it's apparent that I need a
sillcock with its male pipe thread. My current (leaking) valve has a round
handle, can the tee handle on a sillcock be replaced with the round handle?
Thanks!

.:\:/:.
+-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
+-------------------+ / \
| | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
| | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
@x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
\||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
\||/ | | | jgs (______Y______)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

pat June 9th 04 03:05 PM

+-------------------+ / \
| | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
| | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
@x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
\||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
\||/ | | | jgs (______Y______)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

hey Jeff...Lick me

Structural Engineer, PE and MSCE

So, do you know the answer to my question? My wife will bitch if she has to
use that damn tee handle.

[email protected] June 14th 04 02:19 PM

pat wrote:

Why do "hose bibbs" typically have round handles and "sillcocks" all seem to
have a tee handle? (see
http://www.cornerhardware.com/cat_42...ill-Cocks.html)

I have to replace my garden hose faucet and it's apparent that I need a
sillcock with its male pipe thread. My current (leaking) valve has a round
handle, can the tee handle on a sillcock be replaced with the round handle?
Thanks!

here goes, just a guess, but if you look at the back of the one with the
round handle you will see that there is a plate on it to attach to a
wall. when its attached to the wall you hand is not gonna be able to
get around the back too much so you get a circular handle to turn from
the front.... the other ones dont have a back plate so they can be set
out further from the wall....now you can get your hand on the parts of
the crank when its facing the back wall???