DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ay! Caramba! Mexican Peso Tumbles€¦ (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/585055-ay-caramba-mexican-peso-tumbles%E2%80%A6.html)

burfordTjustice January 27th 17 12:36 PM

Ay! Caramba! Mexican Peso Tumbles€¦

In fairness, the peso was never worth anything anyway.

rbowman January 27th 17 02:32 PM

On 01/27/2017 05:36 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:
In fairness, the peso was never worth anything anyway.

Back in the '80s I walked over to Nuevo Laredo. It was a hot day and
there were street vendors selling beverages. It wasn't lemonade but it
wasn't bad and it was wet. I handed the guy a US dollar and held my hand
out figuring I should get some change. He put some coins in my hand and
looked at me. Then he put some more coins in my hand and looked again to
see if I was happy. I still had my hand out so he put some more coins in
and shrugged as if to say 'Okay, that's the right change.'

I had a pocketful of pretty Mex coins, large, small, copper colored,
silver colored with eagles, snakes, famous Mexicans and so forth. The
whole mess was worth about a US quarter.

iirc it was about 40,000 pesos per dollar. The stores had handwritten
signs with an insane number of zeros for a pair of jeans or other items.
It's headed that way again although I don't think I'd want to walk over
to Nuevo Laredo now.