Mike

Default Moenstone Sink

Im putting in a new kitchen with just plain ole laminate counter tops.
I would like to go with a black sink to match the black appliances.
I think i have narrowed it down to Moens Moenstone Granite Sink.
Home Depot has quoted me $359 for the sink, but they also have another sink
in stock made by a company called Pegasys.
The pegasys sink has the same makeup 80% Granite and 20% Acrylic. When i
first saw the sink on display it looked great. I went back a week later and
someone had managed to scratch the sink with a key it appeared. Against my
better judgment i lightly ran a key across the same area that was already
damaged and it did leave a white scratch mark.
The pegasys sink is $199 at Home Depot, but if it scratches that easily it
isn't worth even considering. My concern is that the Moenstone sink has the
same makeup of 80% Granite and 20% Acrylic and does their manufacturing
process yield a more durable sink than the ultra cheap Pegasys? Moen
certainly has a better recognized name but?
Anyone have a Moenstone Granite sink or maybe the Pegasys that can share
their experience?

Thanks

dadiOH

Mike wrote:

My concern
is that the Moenstone sink has the same makeup of 80% Granite and
20% Acrylic and does their manufacturing process yield a more
durable sink than the ultra cheap Pegasys? Moen certainly has a
better recognized name but? Anyone have a Moenstone Granite sink or
maybe the Pegasys that can share their experience?

I don't have either but 80%:20% is 80%:20% and acrylic is soft and scratches
easily .

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Julie

"Mike" wrote

Anyone have a Moenstone Granite sink or maybe the Pegasys that can
share their experience?

I just put in a Pegasys sink two weeks ago:
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cri...&.dnm=9e44.jpg

.... and so far, so good. It was the same price as the 18-gauge
stainless sinks, so "ah, what the hell", decided to give it a try. The
black sure looks cool! It's huuuuge - it has the same standard
dimensions as the sink it replaced (33x22x8), but it's somehow a LOT
bigger/deeper. The drain holes are much closer to the center line than
the previous, so some re-plumbing was required underneath. Also, the
(bigger) tubs make for less maneuvering room underneath - definitely
install your faucet stuff before you drop the sink into the counter [1].

One maybe-drawback is that its surface is rougher than stainless, so it
may require a bit more scrubbing eventually. But, the rougher surface
will 'hide' things better than a shiny steel.

Just be careful knocking out the extra hole if you need it (it comes
pre-drilled with 3, and you can knock out in 3 other places). HD claims
they warranty it for life, according to the info sheet that came with
it.

JSH

[1] This should have worked well for me, but then the faucet connections
(Delta, see the recent faucet thread) went haywire and leaked all over,
so I ended up having to install another faucet from underneath anyway.
Ugh!.

Mike

Julie,
I went and looked at a higher end Blanco Silgranit sink today which is the
same 80/20 construction as the Moen and the Pegasus. My girl friend couldn't
wait to sink her fingernails into the floor model and low and behold with
little pressure was able to put some distinct white scratches in the sink.
Most but not all of which did rub off with a little elbow grease.
We then stopped by Home Depot again and looked at the Pegasus sink again and
had to open up a new box with the sink in it, and found the sink had a huge
crack in it! I imagine it must have been dropped to have caused the crack.
But she did the same fingernail test again and once again it was easily
scratched.
Have you found that you need to be real careful when dropping silverware or
other metal pans and such into the sink?
Have you needed to or been able to buff out any small scratches that have
shown up?
I guess in 2 weeks time your probably still taking it real easy with the
sink.
Im now thinking i might be better off with either stainless or a black cast
iron.
I did find this link tonight that is kind of interesting in regards to
removing scratches in the 80/20 Granite sinks.
http://www.fhpsinks.com/P_Granite/P_Granite.html

I really like the look of the 80/20 granite sinks, and im thinking that for
$199 the Pegasus might be worth a shot?
Decisions decisions...

Jeff Cochran

I did find this link tonight that is kind of interesting in regards to
removing scratches in the 80/20 Granite sinks.
http://www.fhpsinks.com/P_Granite/P_Granite.html

I really like the look of the 80/20 granite sinks, and im thinking that for
$199 the Pegasus might be worth a shot?

Lowe's carries the FHP granite sinks, and I've had one in for about
eight months. No scratches, no dings and we don' treat it any kinder
than our old stainless. We don't put hot pots on it, but we don't put
them on the laminate counter either.

Jeff

Julie

"Mike" wrote

Have you found that you need to be real careful when dropping
silverware or other metal pans and such into the sink?

Me? Careful? Wrong girl . No, not particularly ...

True confessions time, I was a little less careful than I should have
been when I went to knock out a 4th hole. Broke the shoulder off the
sink, when I hit the sink instead of the knockout (duh). Kind folks at
HD even took it back (!). Next sink, I used the ball peen hammer, as
suggested in the first place.

I think the acrylic makes it less brittle - protects both the sink, and
the glasses you drop in it (none broken yet!). To answer your question,
I haven't noticed a thing, in terms of scratches. I did notice that
after rinsing out painting brushes, some of the paint was harder to dig
out of the sink's texture, but it came out.

Just realized tonight: between the ceramic flattop stove, the granite
counters, and the sink ... I can put hot stuff ANYWHERE! Weird feeling.

If I weren't such a stupid HD lemming, I'd have liked the grey FHP sink.
I do like the one I've got well enough, tho. So, go for it!

JSH

going climbing tomorrow, darnit!

Mike

Ok so im off today to Lowes to look at the FHP sink. I also noticed on their
website that they use a 80% Quartz 20% Acrylic and call it a granite sink.
http://www.fhpsinks.com/P_Granite/P_Granite.html
I have seen refernce to this same Quartz makeup in several newsgroups and
elsewhere on the net. And read that the Granite sinks are a tougher material
than the quartz and less susceptable to scratching.
http://www.the-home-improvement-web....osing-sink.htm
Lowes carries the FHP sink under the Franke USA name (same as FHP).
I managed to get more info from the Franke UK site and they do in fact
manufacture both Quartz and Granite composite sinks. Their website shows a
66/33 mixture on the quartz sinks and an 80/20 on the Granite. (add confused
look here).
With mention that the quartz can be scratched by hard objects, and no
mention of it with the granite.
Quartz: http://www.frankeksd.com/cleaningins...e=18&cleanid=2

Granite: http://www.frankeksd.com/cleaningins...e=18&cleanid=3

Just talked to Lowes on the phone and they told me the Franke USA sinks they
carry are not Granite and are in fact a Quartz composite. Funny im starting
to wonder if these companies are marketing thier sinks as Granite and in
fact substituting Quartz. Dont know if the Quartz sinks are cheaper to
maufacture a or what.
Both the FHP website and Lowes website claim that the sink wont chip or
scratch. Well i guess if they will guarantee or warranty it for a few years
or longer its worth a shot.
Starting to get the paralysis of analysis sink buying syndrone here. Maybe
someone else will find this thread uselful or confusing. Will post back what
i end up with.

Mike

All i can say is wow! what a difference with the FHP sink at Lowe's.
I told one of the guys at Lowe's about how easy it was to scratch the other
sinks i had looked at. He promptly pulled out his razor knife and went at
the FHP sink.
He was holding the blade at an angle and scarping the sink, so i asked him
to hold it straight on and draw across the material and even then it only
left a faint scratch that rubbed off!
I took out my trusty old key and did my own test and couldnt scratch it.
Impressive for sure so i guess what i read about Quartz being less scratch
resistant than Granite was BS.
My only small complaint was that the slate color isnt quite as dark black as
i would have liked, but that didnt stop me from taking it home with me.
Thank god thats over now i can obsess about the stove and floor tile.

docrings

Julie,
I went and looked at a higher end Blanco Silgranit sink today which

is the
same 80/20 construction as the Moen and the Pegasus. My girl friend

couldn't
wait to sink her fingernails into the floor model and low and behold

with
little pressure was able to put some distinct white scratches in the

sink.
Most but not all of which did rub off with a little elbow grease.

The sink itself is not scratching... you are scratching off your
fingernail onto the surface of the sink (which then can be cleaned
off). Silverware or pans won't "scratch" the surface, it is just a
mark from the object being left on the surface of the sink...they clean
off easily. The 80% granite sinks are pretty unbeatable for
durability.

Doc Rings

I'm on my 2nd Moenstone sink. The 1st i bought in December to be
installed with the new countertops in January.

Stupid me. I set it at an angle out of the wat to wait for the
counters... and it got bumped... and slid down onto its bottom, and...
got a nice spiderweb series of cracks from around the drain flange.

The second one, well, its been installed now for about 8 weeks. So far
so good. 4 kids, lots of dishes and use. I just hopethat since its
undermount that either they make them for a really long time or they
hold up.

Confused about Kohler "tile-in" sink Scott Home Repair 1 June 2nd 04 10:56 PM
Single sink for sale PoP UK diy 0 March 4th 04 05:54 PM
Blanco sink - create own punch outs? blue Home Repair 8 December 21st 03 07:19 PM
Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 05:16 AM
Kitchen Double Sink Suds Problem Robert Home Repair 3 September 7th 03 02:25 PM