Old December 20th 16, 11:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about breaking the bead using a harbor freight bead breaker?

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 16:35:15 -0500, advised:

and extremely dangerous without having it checked out by a qualified
technician.

People who wear pink panties never get hurt by chainsaws, ladders, or
running with scissors.

Old December 21st 16, 03:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 19:33:06 +0000 (UTC), Frank Baron
wrote:

I accidentally left the PSI at my test pressure of 45psi (instead of 32psi)
but I don't think she'll even notice but I ask you if it matters?

WTF? You were complaining about shops "not doing the job right" and
let her leave with over-inflated tires?
Shame on you.
Old December 21st 16, 04:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I accidentally left the PSI at my test pressure of 45psi (instead of 32psi)
but I don't think she'll even notice but I ask you if it matters?

WTF? You were complaining about shops "not doing the job right" and
let her leave with over-inflated tires?
Shame on you.

Just KNEW he'd screw SOMETHING up. It was "in the stars".
Old December 21st 16, 04:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 11:10:39 AM UTC-5, Frank Baron wrote:
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 23:18:03 -0500, advised:

Just KNEW he'd screw SOMETHING up. It was "in the stars".

I agree there is irony in me forgetting to drop the pressure down from 45
to something like 35. The door placard says 29.

I called her and asked if the ride felt different and she said she didn't
notice.

What do you think the danger zone is for tires anyway?
I read 65psi (so 45 is well below that, but of course, tires heat up in
use).

Where do you think the danger psi is?

I'm left wondering why you over inflated the tires to begin with.

Old December 21st 16, 05:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 08:20:28 -0800 (PST), trader_4 advised:

I'm left wondering why you over inflated the tires to begin with.

That's a good question.
Remember, I'm not an expert (and I never claimed to be one).

Also remember that I am asking for advice, so, I will tell you what I did,
whereas someone else will make believe they did everything perfectly (which
is how all DIYs are written, from a 20/20 hindsight perspective).

The reason I inflated them to 45 was that I had to inflate them to about 60
PSI to ensure the bead was set, and then I dropped the inflation down and
checked the bead with soap and water for bubbles indicating a leak.

As a *further* leak indicator, I set them all to 45psi to see if they
leaked. Since I wasn't going to have the tires for a long time, I was
planning on checking the pressure after a few hours while I had the vehicle
overnight.

My plan was to drop the pressure to 35 when the owner came back for the
vehicle. The owner came back early to pick up the vehicle, so, I just plain
forgot to do that in the fuss, so, I never checked if they were leaking
down from the 45psi.

In the meantime, I did five more tires, as an experiment and for practice,
where I patched each one of them with a home-made plug-patch.

Here's the inside look at the plug:
http://i.cubeupload.com/EJF4y3.jpg
And here's the inside look at the patch over that plug:
http://i.cubeupload.com/OmMamJ.jpg

Of the five experiments, one tire still won't go on the rim, even though we
had a matched set of tires and rims, which went on just fine!
http://i.cubeupload.com/nJNap0.jpg

For the life of us, we can't figure out *how* to get this last tire on the
rim, even though its sister tire and rim went on just fine. (We even bent
the tire iron tip, using all the force that we did.)
http://i.cubeupload.com/OoAABt.jpg
Old December 21st 16, 06:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harbor Freight bead breaker?

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 12:40:57 PM UTC-6, Frank Baron wrote:

Last night, I destroyed the tire changer bead-breaking arm:
http://i.cubeupload.com/LqS6N4.jpg

It bent like it was made out of butter.

I may have to head back to Harbor Freight for this one:
http://i.cubeupload.com/ics54M.jpg

I have both of them. They are both weak. As with any Chinese tool
you usually need to strengthen or otherwise improve what you get.
So the general rule is to use them gently with caution. However
it is probably cheaper to improve them than to buy the vastly more
expensive industrial/professional-grade tools. Youtube can be
helpful as people will show you what they did to destroy or improve
various cheap tools.
Old December 21st 16, 08:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 10:44:14 -0800 (PST), Davej advised:

I have both of them. They are both weak. As with any Chinese tool
you usually need to strengthen or otherwise improve what you get.
So the general rule is to use them gently with caution. However
it is probably cheaper to improve them than to buy the vastly more
expensive industrial/professional-grade tools. Youtube can be
helpful as people will show you what they did to destroy or improve
various cheap tools.

Thank you Davej for that advice which I agree with:
a. The HF bead-breaking tools suck, but,
b. Fixing the HF tools is cheaper than buying a better tool

For example, on the purpose-built HF bead breaker, *all* the wheels I did
(15 and 16 inches in diameter) were too big for the base. You'd think the
manufacturer would know how big a tire is. Luckily, adding this board
"extended" the base sufficiently to do 15 and 15 inch wheels:
http://i.cubeupload.com/9axQTD.jpg

What sucks about the tire-changing tool bead-breaker attachment is:
a. The bead-breaker arms are too weak (and bend like a pretzel)
b. The clevis pins (thanks Clare) are far too sloppy (replace with bolts)
c. The bead breaker arc is far too small (about 1/2 to 1/4 of what you need
d. The tire iron twists out of your hands (use a vise grip to prevent that)
e. The tire iron is too soft so it bends when used as a lever (use pipe)
f. The base *must* be bolted down for SUV tires which require turning force
g. The red tire iron flat tip bends like rubber on the tougher tires!
HF Pittsburgh Bead Breaker, Harbor Freight item #92961
http://www.harborfreight.com/bead-breaker-92961.html

What sucks about the standalone bead breaker tool is:
a. The base is far too short for big tires
b. The base has no attachment holes for securing to concrete or pallets
c. The lever action isn't all that powerful (but it's strong enough)
HF Pittsburgh Manual Tire Changer, Harbor Freight item #62317
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ger-62317.html

However, both can be made to work:
http://i.cubeupload.com/ngg3X3.jpg

But both bent horribly in the wheels and tires that I did.
http://i.cubeupload.com/JvoTto.jpg

For example, I just removed & patched-plugged these five 15-inch 75-series
SUV tires and 16-inch 55-series sedan tires last night:
http://i.cubeupload.com/qD9rZv.jpg

The tire-changer bead breaker isn't useful for tough tires, but it worked
on the easier tires. The problem with the tire changer is that the toughest
tire of the 5 defeated it, and *still* isn't on the wheel, even after
bending the tire iron (which is made of too-soft metal for hard tires):
http://i.cubeupload.com/W3NoBk.jpg

I can't for the life of me figure out why a sister tire went on the same
size rim, but this one still won't go on no matter what I try.

Old July 19th 20, 12:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 2:46:30 PM UTC-5, Frank Baron wrote:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 19:14:35 +0000, Stormin' Norman advised:

We use our HF bead breaker for tractor and other yard equipment tires,
some of them are pretty large.

Which bead breaker do you use?

Is it this one?
http://i.cubeupload.com/ics54M.jpg

Dude did you ever get your tire changed? I was actually trying to buy this harbor freight tire changer today but they were sold out so I just got 2 tire irons from them. I broke the bead with my harbor freight floor jack, some lumber and a tow strap. I know you said earlier you weren't trying to do stuff a "rednecK" way but I found it to work great for breaking a bead.
Old July 19th 20, 03:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 16:06:35 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 2:46:30 PM UTC-5, Frank Baron wrote:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 19:14:35 +0000, Stormin' Norman advised:

We use our HF bead breaker for tractor and other yard equipment tires,
some of them are pretty large.

Which bead breaker do you use?

Is it this one?
http://i.cubeupload.com/ics54M.jpg

Dude did you ever get your tire changed? I was actually trying to buy this harbor freight tire changer today but they were sold out so I just got 2 tire irons from them. I broke the bead with my harbor freight floor jack, some lumber and a tow strap. I know you said earlier you weren't trying to do stuff a "rednecK" way but I found it to work great for breaking a bead.

For the few tires I change in my life, I will just give the tire guy
at the end of the street $10. Sometimes they have trouble with those
little tires and they have a shop full of professional equipment. For
commodity things like trailer tires and golf carts, I buy the tires
mounted, for a couple bucks more than a tire and a stem.

Ferrite Bead Al Electronics Repair 11 December 12th 09 07:26 AM
Ferrite Bead Al Electronics Repair 0 December 11th 09 02:10 AM
390 Corner bead sid Home Repair 1 July 25th 09 11:38 PM
Dumb question - bead board over plywood? [email protected] Home Repair 8 June 11th 09 05:03 PM
harbor freight bead roller james Metalworking 5 December 7th 03 07:44 PM