Mr. R

Default Home Phone Wiring Question

I have just received a (Voice Over IP) VOIP package from Vonage.

I have a house with a one-line phone network, where five phones share the
same line. The tech person I spoke with at Vonage told me to simply connect
the Motorola VOIP until to any available phone jack, so that the entire
house become connected. This is where my question is.

I have an ideal situation where the Motorola VOIP unit is in my basement,
and there is a phone jack box on the other side of the wall in the room next
door. I have plugged the RJ11 into the Line 1 port of the Motorola VOIP
until. At the other end, I removed the other RJ11 plug and have fed the
wires through the back of the box where the phone jack is. The wire colors
that I fed through the back of the box a

WHITE

BLACK

GREEN

RED

YELLOW

BLUE

I want to connect the correct wires to the four screws at the back of the
wall phone jack. The four screws already have:

WHITE/Blue . connected to RED

BLUE/White . connected to GREEN

ORANGE/White . connected to BLACK

WHITE/Orange . connected to YELLOW

The RED, GREEN, BLACK, and YELLOW feed into the socket where you plug in a
RJ11.

So, which colors on my wire that runs from my Motorola unit do I connect to
which screws?

PrecisionMachinisT

"Mr. R" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Red/green is the traditional tip-ring color code in legacy phone systems
(pots) using quad wire, while in the cat3~cat 5 it is the blue pair......

Modern RJ11 ~RJ45 differ only in the width of the jack, and number of pairs
involved, with the color code staying the same going from center
outwards.....

See the chart :

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6209

--

SVL

Mr. R

wrote in message
On Sun, 30 May 2004 12:40:46 GMT, "Mr. R" wrote:

I have just received a (Voice Over IP) VOIP package from Vonage.

I have a house with a one-line phone network, where five phones share the
same line. The tech person I spoke with at Vonage told me to simply

connect
the Motorola VOIP until to any available phone jack, so that the entire
house become connected. This is where my question is.

I have an ideal situation where the Motorola VOIP unit is in my basement,
and there is a phone jack box on the other side of the wall in the room

next
door. I have plugged the RJ11 into the Line 1 port of the Motorola VOIP
until. At the other end, I removed the other RJ11 plug and have fed the
wires through the back of the box where the phone jack is.

snip

Why did you remove the RJ112 from the line? All you had to do is plug
it into the jack!

I removed the RJ11 from the Network Interface out side the house (to
avoid any problems from stray telco signals) and plugged the line from
the Motorola into one of the jacks in the room where it is located.

Why make things complicated for yourself?

I got it working. Thanks. The problem was, I didn't have a jack in the
room where the Motorola unit is located. I will, however, remove the RJ112
in the outside box as I had no idea that there could be stray telco signals.