DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Inground Pool: What's that rubbery material put in between the joints to keep water out? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/58201-inground-pool-whats-rubbery-material-put-between-joints-keep-water-out.html)

tofuboy May 29th 04 06:20 PM

Inground Pool: What's that rubbery material put in between the joints to keep water out?

Around indoor pools I see this rubbery grout-like material that's put
inbetween the joints of the concrete slabs to keep the water out.
Where do I get this stuff? What exactly is it?

Thanks!

Dave Solly May 29th 04 06:29 PM

Inground Pool: What's that rubbery material put in between the joints to keep water out?

tofuboy wrote in
:

Around indoor pools I see this rubbery grout-like material that's put
inbetween the joints of the concrete slabs to keep the water out.
Where do I get this stuff? What exactly is it?

Thanks!

http://www.deckoseal.com/

Dave

Bruce May 29th 04 06:45 PM

Inground Pool: What's that rubbery material put in between the joints to keep water out?

In alt.home.repair
tofuboy wrote:

Around indoor pools I see this rubbery grout-like material that's put
inbetween the joints of the concrete slabs to keep the water out.
Where do I get this stuff? What exactly is it?

It is not to keep the water out primarily. It is there to allow the deck
to move and expand without pushing against the coping. If it isnt' there,
the movement will begin to crack and pop tiles like my pool did because it
wasn't built properly. I now have Deckoseal after $7500 worth of
renovation OUCH!

tofuboy May 29th 04 08:15 PM

Inground Pool: What's that rubbery material put in between the joints to keep water out?

On Sat, 29 May 2004 17:45:26 GMT, (Bruce) wrote:

In alt.home.repair
tofuboy wrote:

Around indoor pools I see this rubbery grout-like material that's put
inbetween the joints of the concrete slabs to keep the water out.
Where do I get this stuff? What exactly is it?

It is not to keep the water out primarily. It is there to allow the deck
to move and expand without pushing against the coping. If it isnt' there,
the movement will begin to crack and pop tiles like my pool did because it
wasn't built properly. I now have Deckoseal after $7500 worth of
renovation OUCH!

Thanks for the link. I'm having a hard time deciding which is the
right choice though. Are these products suppose to be used before the
slab is poured? I was thinking of some sort of application via a gun,
similiar to caulk, would be what is required. Am I totally off?

Bruce May 29th 04 09:26 PM

tofuboy wrote:

Thanks for the link. I'm having a hard time deciding which is the
right choice though. Are these products suppose to be used before the
slab is poured? I was thinking of some sort of application via a gun,
similiar to caulk, would be what is required. Am I totally off?

The pool company applied mine but it was the last thing they did after
retiling and coping. I didn't see how it was applied but I'm pretty sure
you could use a gun, it would just take a while.

Dave Solly May 29th 04 11:16 PM

tofuboy wrote:

Around indoor pools I see this rubbery grout-like material that's put
inbetween the joints of the concrete slabs to keep the water out.
Where do I get this stuff? What exactly is it?

It is not to keep the water out primarily. It is there to allow the
deck to move and expand without pushing against the coping. If it
isnt' there, the movement will begin to crack and pop tiles like my
pool did because it wasn't built properly. I now have Deckoseal after
$7500 worth of renovation OUCH!

Thanks for the link. I'm having a hard time deciding which is the
right choice though. Are these products suppose to be used before the
slab is poured? I was thinking of some sort of application via a gun,
similiar to caulk, would be what is required. Am I totally off?

Here's a better line, comes in tubes for a caulk gun. I am in the process
of pulling up 20 year old seal now.

I'm not sure where to buy it locally though. This page showes it comes in
cartons of 12. I'm only going to need about 2 tubes.

http://www.deckoseal.com/788.htm

Dave Solly May 29th 04 11:20 PM

Inground Pool: What's that rubbery material put in between the joints to keep water out?

(Bruce) wrote in news:40b8f216.697432
@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net:

In alt.home.repair
tofuboy wrote:

Thanks for the link. I'm having a hard time deciding which is the
right choice though. Are these products suppose to be used before the
slab is poured? I was thinking of some sort of application via a gun,
similiar to caulk, would be what is required. Am I totally off?

The pool company applied mine but it was the last thing they did after
retiling and coping. I didn't see how it was applied but I'm pretty sure
you could use a gun, it would just take a while.

If you have a Leslie's near you, they sell it in a can. I saw someone who
used it, and it shurnk. I don't know what he had as a foundation for the
seal. According to their web site, you are supposed to have backer rod
below the seal. He applied it with a bakers tube (don't know the proper
name, but the squeeze thing bakers use to put icing on cake).

Dave