DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lawn Tractor Alignment (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/581297-lawn-tractor-alignment.html)

Pavel314[_2_] November 12th 16 06:16 PM

Lawn Tractor Alignment

I wasn't paying attention and came too close to a tree while mowing the lawn. The left front wheel got knocked out of alignment and now it has a strong pull to the right. I checked the user's manual but it said that alignment is set at the factory and can only be done by a trained service technician.. I inspected the front suspension and don't see any way to adjust anything.. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul

Unquestionably Confused November 12th 16 06:28 PM

Lawn Tractor Alignment

On 11/12/2016 12:16 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I wasn't paying attention and came too close to a tree while mowing the lawn. The left front wheel got knocked out of alignment and now it has a strong pull to the right. I checked the user's manual but it said that alignment is set at the factory and can only be done by a trained service technician. I inspected the front suspension and don't see any way to adjust anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul

Sledgehammer and a solid whack opposite the way you knocked it out of
alignment?

Dev Null[_4_] November 12th 16 06:38 PM

Lawn Tractor Alignment

On 11/12/2016 1:16 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I wasn't paying attention and came too close to a tree while mowing the lawn. The left front wheel got knocked out of alignment and now it has a strong pull to the right. I checked the user's manual but it said that alignment is set at the factory and can only be done by a trained service technician. I inspected the front suspension and don't see any way to adjust anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul

This ain't alt.home.repair.psychics so you'll need to provide the make and model number.

Oren[_2_] November 12th 16 07:09 PM

Lawn Tractor Alignment

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 10:16:24 -0800 (PST), Pavel314
wrote:

I wasn't paying attention and came too close to a tree while mowing the lawn. The left front wheel got knocked out of alignment and now it has a strong pull to the right. I checked the user's manual but it said that alignment is set at the factory and can only be done by a trained service technician. I inspected the front suspension and don't see any way to adjust anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul

Hit the tree again and knock it back the other way? :-)

BTW. Did you figure out the electric problem you had? Never saw how
you fixed it ... not starting.

[email protected] November 12th 16 07:30 PM

Lawn Tractor Alignment

wrote:

I inspected the front suspension and don't see any way to adjust anything.

Apparently something got bent. Keep looking!!!

[email protected] November 13th 16 01:38 AM

Lawn Tractor Alignment

wrote:

I wasn't paying attention and came too close to a tree while mowing the lawn. The left front wheel got knocked out of alignment and now it has a strong pull to the right. I checked the user's manual but it said that alignment is set at the factory and can only be done by a trained service technician. I inspected the front suspension and don't see any way to adjust anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul

You bent a part to put it out of alignment - you will need to unbend
it to fix it.

Pavel314[_2_] November 13th 16 03:17 PM

Lawn Tractor Alignment

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 1:38:27 PM UTC-5, Dev Null wrote:
On 11/12/2016 1:16 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I wasn't paying attention and came too close to a tree while mowing the lawn. The left front wheel got knocked out of alignment and now it has a strong pull to the right. I checked the user's manual but it said that alignment is set at the factory and can only be done by a trained service technician. I inspected the front suspension and don't see any way to adjust anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul

This ain't alt.home.repair.psychics so you'll need to provide the make and model number.

It's an Ariens A20VA46. The steering mechanism is the same as on my older Craftsman lawn tractor; they probably make them all at the same factory and stick different logos on them. The steering wheel moves a sector gear which is connected to each of the front wheels by a draglink (a bent rod) per side. I must have bent the left draglink when I hit the tree. I tried bending it back with a large crowbar but I think the suggestion to use a sledgehammer is my next attempt.

Paul

Pavel314[_2_] November 13th 16 03:20 PM

Lawn Tractor Alignment

wrote:

I wasn't paying attention and came too close to a tree while mowing the lawn. The left front wheel got knocked out of alignment and now it has a strong pull to the right. I checked the user's manual but it said that alignment is set at the factory and can only be done by a trained service technician. I inspected the front suspension and don't see any way to adjust anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul

Hit the tree again and knock it back the other way? :-)

BTW. Did you figure out the electric problem you had? Never saw how
you fixed it ... not starting.

The new lawn tractor has the alignment problem; the old lawn tractor, that I use for hauling stuff around the place, is the one with the electrical problem. I jumped the solenoid and the starter whirred. I replaced the solenoid but it still wouldn't start. I hooked up the volt meter to the various terminals of the starter switch while seated and pressing down the clutch , but didn't get any voltage on any setting. Tomorrow I'm going back to the parts store for a new starter switch.

Paul

dpb November 13th 16 03:45 PM

Lawn Tractor Alignment

On 11/13/2016 9:20 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

... the old lawn tractor, ...

that I use for hauling stuff around the place, is the one with the
electrical problem. I jumped the solenoid and the starter whirred. I
replaced the solenoid but it still wouldn't start. I hooked up the volt
meter to the various terminals of the starter switch while seated and
pressing down the clutch , but didn't get any voltage on any setting.
Tomorrow I'm going back to the parts store for a new starter switch.

Just to be certain, I'd first take the switch free and test continuity...

You _did_ have power _INTO_ the switch???

Oren[_2_] November 13th 16 07:45 PM

Lawn Tractor Alignment

On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 09:45:34 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/13/2016 9:20 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

... the old lawn tractor, ...

that I use for hauling stuff around the place, is the one with the
electrical problem. I jumped the solenoid and the starter whirred. I
replaced the solenoid but it still wouldn't start. I hooked up the volt
meter to the various terminals of the starter switch while seated and
pressing down the clutch , but didn't get any voltage on any setting.
Tomorrow I'm going back to the parts store for a new starter switch.

Just to be certain, I'd first take the switch free and test continuity...

You _did_ have power _INTO_ the switch???

I first mentioned it could be the switch. Might try spraying a contact
cleaner in the keyhole to see if that helps/works. The switch could
also be cracked allowing moisture in; those poor contacts. Especially
if the tractor sits out in the elements.

[email protected] November 13th 16 09:26 PM

Lawn Tractor Alignment

On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 07:17:41 -0800 (PST), Pavel314
wrote:

[...]

The replacement parts are CHEAP. Buy a new link and replace it. About
a 10 minute job for anyone who knows one ind of a pliers from the
other.

[email protected] November 13th 16 09:27 PM

Lawn Tractor Alignment

wrote:

[...]

And a test light or Voltmeter and a book on basic electricity?

[email protected] November 13th 16 09:31 PM

Lawn Tractor Alignment

On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 09:45:34 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/13/2016 9:20 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

... the old lawn tractor, ...

that I use for hauling stuff around the place, is the one with the
electrical problem. I jumped the solenoid and the starter whirred. I
replaced the solenoid but it still wouldn't start. I hooked up the volt
meter to the various terminals of the starter switch while seated and
pressing down the clutch , but didn't get any voltage on any setting.
Tomorrow I'm going back to the parts store for a new starter switch.

Just to be certain, I'd first take the switch free and test continuity...

You _did_ have power _INTO_ the switch???

He obviously has no clue. He may as well buy a wiring harness and
all the safety switches while he's at it if he's just going to throw
parts at it untill something sticks. He'd be many dollars ahead to
just take it to the shop and PAY (oh no!!!!) to have it fixed.