DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Does PEX pipe sweat like metallic pipe? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/581203-does-pex-pipe-sweat-like-metallic-pipe.html)

[email protected] November 10th 16 07:39 PM

Does PEX pipe sweat like metallic pipe?

For those of you who have PEX pipe in your homes, does PEX pipe sweat
like metallic pipe? My guess would be "NO", but that's only a guess.
I'm just curious...

[email protected] November 10th 16 08:38 PM

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 13:39:39 -0600, wrote:

For those of you who have PEX pipe in your homes, does PEX pipe sweat
like metallic pipe? My guess would be "NO", but that's only a guess.
I'm just curious...

Yes it can sweat, not nearly as much as metal.
They use sch80 PVC here for condensate lines because that seems to be
the least "sweaty"

Oren[_2_] November 10th 16 10:02 PM

wrote:

For those of you who have PEX pipe in your homes, does PEX pipe sweat
like metallic pipe? My guess would be "NO", but that's only a guess.
I'm just curious...

Yes it can sweat, not nearly as much as metal.
They use sch80 PVC here for condensate lines because that seems to be
the least "sweaty"

PEX sweating may be related to climate conditions? I don't see it
here in the desert. My house is all PEX and a manifold, low humidity.

trader_4 November 10th 16 10:42 PM

wrote:

For those of you who have PEX pipe in your homes, does PEX pipe sweat
like metallic pipe? My guess would be "NO", but that's only a guess.
I'm just curious...

Yes it can sweat, not nearly as much as metal.
They use sch80 PVC here for condensate lines because that seems to be
the least "sweaty"

PEX sweating may be related to climate conditions? I don't see it
here in the desert. My house is all PEX and a manifold, low humidity.

Sweating is always related to climate conditions. Less humidity, less
condensation. Any plastic pipe should sweat less than metal. Metal
transfers heat the best, so the outside of a metal pipe with cold
water inside is going to be colder than the outside of a plastic pipe.

[email protected] November 10th 16 11:36 PM

wrote:

For those of you who have PEX pipe in your homes, does PEX pipe sweat
like metallic pipe? My guess would be "NO", but that's only a guess.
I'm just curious...

Yes it can sweat, not nearly as much as metal.
They use sch80 PVC here for condensate lines because that seems to be
the least "sweaty"

PEX sweating may be related to climate conditions? I don't see it
here in the desert. My house is all PEX and a manifold, low humidity.

I'm sure. We are pretty humid here and warm enough to where anything
that stays wet, grows stuff.

[email protected] November 11th 16 02:08 AM

wrote:

For those of you who have PEX pipe in your homes, does PEX pipe sweat
like metallic pipe? My guess would be "NO", but that's only a guess.
I'm just curious...

Yes it can sweat, not nearly as much as metal.
They use sch80 PVC here for condensate lines because that seems to be
the least "sweaty"

Like soda bottles, the plastic ones sweat less than alum cans. So I
thought the PEX would sweat less, but still does. Sch80 is really thick
and I'd expect thicker walls mean less cold getting to the outside...

Uncle Monster[_2_] November 11th 16 03:29 AM

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 1:40:29 PM UTC-6, wrote:
For those of you who have PEX pipe in your homes, does PEX pipe sweat
like metallic pipe? My guess would be "NO", but that's only a guess.
I'm just curious...

You silly cow! PEX doesn't sweat, it pants! ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Damp Monster