DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Flowguard Gold vs Lewis CPVC (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/56220-re-flowguard-gold-vs-lewis-cpvc.html)

squinny March 30th 04 09:28 PM

Flowguard Gold vs Lewis CPVC

(mike60510) wrote in message . com...
(jim donovan) wrote in message ...
cpvc is still junk! for water lines, pvc in the ground out side of house
is ok; in house or out side of house use copper or pex.if you are a DIY
you can rent crimpers for pex if you can not soilder

I prefer copper myself, however, the original post was never answered.
One guy said cpvc was ****, the other guy said its junk, with all the
posts I've seen here with qualified experienced plumbers, someone
must be able to come up with something better than that

It is curious that most plumbers have completely accepted ABS and PVC
for DWV and outside cold supply but still think CPVC is junk. I
suspect it is because of poor understanding of the thermal expansion
issues with hot water in plastic piping which can lead to failure,
however the codes are very clear about it and if followed carefully
there will not be any problem. UPC approves CPVC based on extensive
field and laboratory testing. If your plumber has a degree in
materials engineering then ask him to explain why it is junk.
Otherwise find another plumber or do it yourself.

Mike Grooms March 31st 04 02:36 AM

Flowguard Gold vs Lewis CPVC

"squinny"

Most plumbers don't like CPVC, but not for the reasons you list. First of
all, it's impossible to make it look good. Even a good plumber's work looks
like a moronic DIYer. Secondly, it's so easy that even a woman could
install it. Gee, I hope that doesn't get anyone in a snit.

Robert Calvert March 31st 04 05:58 AM

"Mike Grooms" wrote in message

"squinny"

Most plumbers don't like CPVC, but not for the reasons you list. First

of
all, it's impossible to make it look good. Even a good plumber's work

looks
like a moronic DIYer.

I would think that the best way to solve this problem would be to measure,
lay out and hang the horizontal sections of pipe, using only the couplings
at first, and then proceed from there.

Secondly, it's so easy that even a woman could
install it. Gee, I hope that doesn't get anyone in a snit.

At least the feminists won't have to sue for sex discrimination to get their
way. :-)

Robert

squinny March 31st 04 06:42 PM

Flowguard Gold vs Lewis CPVC

"Mike Grooms" wrote in message ...
"squinny"

Most plumbers don't like CPVC, but not for the reasons you list. First of
all, it's impossible to make it look good. Even a good plumber's work looks
like a moronic DIYer.

Ah, the purple drips. The new primerless solvent for CPVC should fix that.

Mike Grooms April 1st 04 12:46 AM

Flowguard Gold vs Lewis CPVC

"Robert Calvert"

I would think that the best way to solve this problem would be to measure,
lay out and hang the horizontal sections of pipe, using only the couplings
at first, and then proceed from there.

It doesn't help. The pipe sags even if you strap it every joist. The
vertical branches also bow. Personally, I think that the extra time it
takes to make it look halfway decent makes up for the extra time copper
takes.