DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pocket Door Frame Installed Over Existing Wall? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/55933-pocket-door-frame-installed-over-existing-wall.html)

Robert March 21st 04 08:43 PM

Pocket Door Frame Installed Over Existing Wall?

I would like to install a pocket door leading to my dining room but
cannot remove a portion of the existing wall because it is load
bearing (my condo will not allow any alterations to load bearing
walls). There is already an opening between the load bearing wall and
the opposite wall. Can I simply install a pocket door frame over the
exisitng wall? Based on the prefab frames I've seen, it would only
add about 5 inches to the wall thickness. Thanks for any advice!

Nehmo Sergheyev March 21st 04 09:45 PM

Pocket Door Frame Installed Over Existing Wall?

- Robert -
I would like to install a pocket door leading to my dining room but
cannot remove a portion of the existing wall because it is load
bearing (my condo will not allow any alterations to load bearing
walls). There is already an opening between the load bearing wall and
the opposite wall. Can I simply install a pocket door frame over the
exisitng wall? Based on the prefab frames I've seen, it would only
add about 5 inches to the wall thickness.

- Nehmo -
I'm not sure I understand your sentence about the opening. But if there
already is a doorway, that is, an opening in the wall, then of course,
you could add to the thickness of the wall and incorporate a pocket
door.

--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *