DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Any Ideas How To Replace Rotted Wood Panels On French Doors? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/55885-any-ideas-how-replace-rotted-wood-panels-french-doors.html)

Ron March 20th 04 04:08 AM

Any Ideas How To Replace Rotted Wood Panels On French Doors?

I have a pair of french doors on the back of my house that lead outside.
Whoever installed these doors used INTERIOR doors, but thats a different
story...LOL

Anyway, I don't have the money right now to replace the doors so I need
to repair them to get me by for a while.

The doors are made up of 4 pieces (5 if you include the glass) here is a
pic of the exact same doors that i have.

http://www.chrunck.com/kitchen/doors.jpg
If you will notice, you have a piece of wood on each side, and a top and
bottom center piece/panel.

My problem is, that the bottom center panel on both doors is rotted
away. I have already removed the rotted panels and have made new panels
out of pressure treated wood.

My question is, how should I install the replacement panels? The top of
the new panels will just butt against the glass and the sides of the new
panels will butt against the remaining part of the door.

I was just going to glue the sides together using wood gule and a
furniture clamp, and finish off the top with 1/4 round or some other
kind of window stops, after water sealing them with silicone.

Would that be sufficient? I'm just worried that the glue won't be strong
enough to secure it, so it doesn't come apart. Of course I could be
wrong, I haven't used alot of wood glue and don't really know how strong
it is. Would Liquid Nail be better?

The original panels were installed using the tongue and grove method and
obviously glued in place.

The only thing I can think of to help secure the panels using glue, is
to drill 2-4 holes on the outside edge of the doors, run in some long
wood screws to the new panels, and then fill the holes with wood putty.

Any other ideas? I hope this makes sense...LOL! Thats why I included the
pic to help explain it : )

m Ransley March 20th 04 04:42 AM

Any Ideas How To Replace Rotted Wood Panels On French Doors?

yea since you instaled them it may work, or may not

PAUL100 March 20th 04 05:50 AM

Any Ideas How To Replace Rotted Wood Panels On French Doors?

Subject: Any Ideas How To Replace Rotted Wood Panels On French Doors?
From: (Ron)
Date: 3/19/2004 10:08 PM Eastern Standard Time
I have a pair of french doors on the back of my house that lead outside.
Whoever installed these doors used INTERIOR doors, but thats a different
story...LOL

Just curious, but what is the difference between interior and exterior doors?

Ron March 20th 04 06:27 AM

(m=A0Ransley) wrote:

yea since you instaled them it may work,
or may not

"Installed" what? I haven't "installed" anything yet, that is the point
of my post.

N/M....LOL!

Gary Dyrkacz March 20th 04 01:17 PM

Any Ideas How To Replace Rotted Wood Panels On French Doors?

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 22:08:08 -0500 (EST), (Ron)

[...]

If you have a long enough drill to go through the sides for the screws
then why not just put some wood dowels in.

Don't forget to use a waterproof glue. Epoxy glues would provide an
especially strong bond.

You could also router a groove in the inner edges of the sides and
the panel, and glue a spline piece in, inserted from the bottom.
Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn/

MS March 20th 04 07:52 PM

Any Ideas How To Replace Rotted Wood Panels On French Doors?

I would glue and clamp first. Then, after the glue has dried, a day or
so, and with the clamp still in place, I would drill a 1/4" dia. 2"
long hole, centered along the bottom seam between the new and old wood
(looking at the butt edge of the door that faces the door sill, when
the door is installed). I would then insert a 1/4" wood dowel, coated
with glue. Allow to dry, refinish, paint, reinstall.

Check if wood glue has good adhesion to pressure treated wood. If not,
liquid nails is an alternative.